AI prime - what would happen if...

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what would happen if I raised up the blue intensity or the royal blue? Everyone (especially lps) are always bright and vibrant and fluffy all day except for the last hour which is is when the whites cut off. The majority of my tank runs between 50-150 par.
Here's pics of my light schedule:
IMG_0864.PNG IMG_0865.PNG IMG_0866.PNG

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you are going to raise them, do it slowly. Corals can take months to recover from bleaching... trust me :oops:

OP
OP
ahiggins

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you are going to raise them, do it slowly. Corals can take months to recover from bleaching... trust me :oops:
Ive brought a few corals back from alk bleaching so I get it.
Ive never "experimented" per se with super high blues. Wondering if anyone else has.

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was running my 26HD at around 60-70% for the violet and dark blue after I first got it. That's on the 10 gallon, no SPS. I don't remember anything killing over after the acclimation.. however I didn't put the blue as high because I figured it would give me more algae. I hear the blue is better on SPS though..

This is the tank now (running about ~100par at sb. This photo is with a lower kelvin so you can actually see it..).

Not going to lie I totally adjusted my lights by what I think looks nice in combination with the lux just above 5,000. I noticed more growth after changing salt mix than I did when tampering with the lights. Maybe I don't have them high enough.
IMG_2617.JPG

IMG_1966.PNG

P.s. Well I did bleach a coral. But I set him on the rocks when I had more rocks. Almost lost another because my acclimation mode was off due to the date not being set. I consider both issues to be user error.

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your using a par meter I don't think there'd be any harm at all if you go slow. Adding just blue shouldn't add much par to equation, but I dont know the light well enough to know what spectrum "blue" is in that fixture.
AS far as color goes and whats "better", as far as Ive seen you can grow the same stuff at "10k" to "24k" and up.

There is a guy running only the blue side on his Kessil, but what that means on his light is the high end and very little of the low. It does still contain a fair amount of the components of what we would call "white" because its a kessil. Conversely one of the Big time coral vendors is only running the "white" side of radions on all the livestock. So whan reefers say "blue" and "white", The Q is what frequency range does each contain. So when we read that a coral likes "more blue" and "really responds" is it merely the increase in par or is it filling in the spectrum of a more truly "white light"

Finish? :eek: sounds horrible.
I meant the first cup....

OP
OP
ahiggins

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your using a par meter I don't think there'd be any harm at all if you go slow. Adding just blue shouldn't add much par to equation, but I dont know the light well enough to know what spectrum "blue" is in that fixture.
AS far as color goes and whats "better", as far as Ive seen you can grow the same stuff at "10k" to "24k" and up.

There is a guy running only the blue side on his Kessil, but what that means on his light is the high end and very little of the low. It does still contain a fair amount of the components of what we would call "white" because its a kessil. Conversely one of the Big time coral vendors is only running the "white" side of radions on all the livestock. So whan reefers say "blue" and "white", The Q is what frequency range does each contain. So when we read that a coral likes "more blue" and "really responds" is it merely the increase in par or is it filling in the spectrum of a more truly "white light"

I meant the first cup....
hayyyyyy you!
thanks guys-there 3 settings on there. first pic shows 14.5K, second is 19.5K and the third is 20K no whites.
But if Ive got this correctly - youre thinking along the lines of:
If I up the blues, I wont get better par but the corals will look better.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Lady...
Not familiar enough with the light to know 100% But if the third setting is "no whites" then there has to be some amount of the "white" components in it.

If on your favorite setting you up only the blues, yes you should get slightly more par. "Looking better" is subjective and specific to fixture, color of corals rock bla bla bla.:confused:

OP
OP
ahiggins

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If on your favorite setting you up only the blues, yes you should get slightly more par. "Looking better" is subjective and specific to fixture, color of corals rock bla bla bla.:confused:
Lol the pop of color is what I think looks best.
What looks best right now is the back of my eye lids haha I'm off to take a well deserved nap

motor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what would happen if I raised up the blue intensity or the royal blue? Everyone (especially lps) are always bright and vibrant and fluffy all day except for the last hour which is is when the whites cut off. The majority of my tank runs between 50-150 par.
Here's pics of my light schedule:
IMG_0864.PNG IMG_0865.PNG IMG_0866.PNG
I

I just got 4 hydra 26 for my 180g I don't run any color above 30% my lights are 12 inches off water line

OP
OP
ahiggins

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I

I just got 4 hydra 26 for my 180g I don't run any color above 30% my lights are 12 inches off water line
Interesting, what's the par in your tank? Those lights must be super strong lol

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 75 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 74 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.2%
Back