Aiptasia

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle with aiptasia and have even considered removing the rock that they are on. I'd prefer not removing as it was added, then the sand around to add extra stability due to having an eel. I've tried Aiptasia X and all they seems to do is tick em off and then they multiply. Have about 6 peppermint shrimp but they don't seem to be denting it 1 bit.

I have an eel, 2 firefish, 3 fairy wrasses, a flasher wrasse, a few snails, bunch of hermits, and 3 emerald crabs that are small (crabs are easily removable). A few mushrooms and a couple other small coral pieces, all of these can be moved to another tank temporarily.

I have an area in my 125 that they have yet to get to but know that by the time something goes through QT that may not be the case.

What creature/fish would be the best fit for what I have to rid my tank of this pest?

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aiptasia is a creature that seems like you are not wining.
True don't make them mad or they may release their fauna
Now lets talk superglue :)
How big are they?
Pictures would help also.

HiddenUser

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same problem with my 90G tank...Aiptasia X, Joes Juice, half a dozen Peppermint Shrimp, a Copperband Butterfly...still have Aiptasia and it's spreading like wildfire...Bought a dozen Berghia Nudibranchs a few weeks ago so we'll see if they make it and actually do cut down the Aiptasia (as it's apparently all they eat)...Problem is that I've heard it can take 3-4 months or so after adding them before the Aipastia is nearly gone.

With the building of my new tank I'm nearly tempted just to take out the coral frags from my 90G, put them into a quarantine tank and watch them for a few months to make sure there are no traces of Aiptasia before introducing the frags to my new tank. I don't want a 260+ gallon Aiptasia Garden tank.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would we doom an animal for our own gain?
These guys are not that hard to rid of and can personally be done in under a week.
Unless you don't want to move rockwork ;)
Sorry not a fan of animals to solve a pest problem :)

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have TONS of HUGE aiptasia in my wrasse tank that have just grown exponentially and reproduced exponentially in the past 12 months. I mean it is a FARM for these buggers. Really frustrating. They do not make filefish large enough to take care of these!

OP
OP
Duke4Life

Duke4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1447090222510-25748679.jpg

OP
OP
Duke4Life

Duke4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry not a fan of animals to solve a pest problem :)
Me either but how I see this going is every time I buy new coral or live rock that will also be going to a holding tank for a few weeks for here on out. My friends are going to think I've went off the deep end when they find this out lol
People not in this hobby have no clue to how vital and valuable a good QT is.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do not make enough glue to salvage my reef wrasse tank....

OP
OP
Duke4Life

Duke4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same problem with my 90G tank...Aiptasia X, Joes Juice, half a dozen Peppermint Shrimp, a Copperband Butterfly...still have Aiptasia and it's spreading like wildfire...Bought a dozen Berghia Nudibranchs a few weeks ago so we'll see if they make it and actually do cut down the Aiptasia (as it's apparently all they eat)...Problem is that I've heard it can take 3-4 months or so after adding them before the Aipastia is nearly gone.

With the building of my new tank I'm nearly tempted just to take out the coral frags from my 90G, put them into a quarantine tank and watch them for a few months to make sure there are no traces of Aiptasia before introducing the frags to my new tank. I don't want a 260+ gallon Aiptasia Garden tank.
I wouldn't neither. Just ordered a light for my 20 to be able to handle any coral placed in.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size do you have? I know you have a bunch of wrasses.
It is a 125. I had like a dozen small aiptasia a year ago. Since then, due to very heavy and frequent feedings, they are VERY happy and numerous. :/

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still no matter the size superglue will rid of them :) never to be seen again.

Oh and they absolutely hate hot water temps ;)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 115 87.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back