OP
Duke4Life

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Berghias would work great as long as you have no wrasses. Most will eat the little guys fast!
For me it's how much they cost that's been the deterant. High dollar to be so small. Wish we had more raising these, there's a thread or more started a day due to these.

tjnorthdakota

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should be sensitive to what most invertibrates would be sensitive to I would think. Ph, salinity, temp finding what works to kill them with any of these would be good I would think. Bacteria should be resilient enough to make it through so would minimize risk of having to cycle tank again. Low salinity would have the added benefit of killing other unwanted pests as well such as ick or bristle worm infestation, hydroids, ect

OP
OP
Duke4Life

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should be sensitive to what most invertibrates would be sensitive to I would think. Ph, salinity, temp finding what works to kill them with any of these would be good I would think. Bacteria should be resilient enough to make it through so would minimize risk of having to cycle tank again. Low salinity would have the added benefit of killing other unwanted pests as well such as ick or bristle worm infestation, hydroids, ect
92-94 makes them pop off and float, but kills anything else on rock.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@twilliard ever tried messing around with salinty and these? If not next project hahaha
Actually I did!
1.010 and 94 degrees was the best result but not practical in my mind as a treatment against aiptasia.
As most pests I am out of aiptasia so further study has halted. (Currently propagating flatworm)

armyguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalkwasser slurry is the most reliable, I have always used it, it's cheap, and not a animal you have to worry about catching afterwards and that may or may not eat them or may end up munching on the more desirable inhabitants. No need to glue over each one! Just squirt a little bit with an eye dropper on each one's mouth, turn the pumps way down and they'll be dead in hours, it's very simple

armyguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really question how good chemicals and hot glue can be for a reef, I like my method and I never have them, patience is the key, there is no wonder cure

scottbapilot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this Aiptasia or a duster worm?

aiptasia 008.jpg

s2nhle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are duster worms. The good guys. don't kill them.

Crystalsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some that is trying to grow in my tank. Ordered 2 nudis, and some eggs. I have them in a container with som aiptasia to grow them out a bit, but they dont seem to be touching it, they just keeping trying to mate. Wish i had the local nudibranch that came in on some macro from tampa bay, that thing tore up some aiptasia.

Mike Murphy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still no matter the size superglue will rid of them :) never to be seen again.

Oh and they absolutely hate hot water temps ;)
What do you mean "super glue" . Are you talking about a shot of glue into there mouth. I recently noticed the first one in my tank which is 3 months old.

s2nhle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used the kalk mixed with vinegar, voka and water on the aiptasia mouth with great success. There is only 1 left that I could not reach and it was there for several months now. I have not see it any where else.

danielb333

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't read this whole thread, so forgive me if this was brought up, but have you tried a Copperband Butterfly? I had an outbreak, tried all the "juices" and couldn't reach spots to apply the superglue method. I ended up finding a CBB that was eating frozen at the LFS. Put it in QT and it continued to eat during that time. So in the display it went. It did take it about three weeks to discover it's appetite for the Aiptasia; but I haven't seen another Aiptasia in months. I've been lucky the CBB hasn't developed an appetite for corals....yet!!!

Just a suggestion, take it for what it's worth.
+1 copper band butterfly my tank was full of the when I got it. Plus they are beautiful fish!

lazlodawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can vouch for peppermint shrimp. I tried Aiptasia X and it would kill them, but they would just keep coming back. It seems that there are either different species of peppermint shrimp that do not eat Aiptasia or that some LFS sell a different type of shrimp as peppermint shrimp.
I had a ton of Aiptasia in my tank and bought just 2 peppermints from Optimum Aquarium in Kennesaw Georgia. One died a horrible death because I was stupid and forgot to turn off my powerhead when adding him to my tank. Needless to say, I did not have to feed my tank that day. Anyway, the second one cleared the tank overnight and it has been Aiptasia free for several months. I think I just scared the second one into doing the job. Sometimes you gotta show those effers who's boss.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ONLY thing I've ever had truly work is the berghia nudibranchs. Tried tons of other methods to...well, not just no avail, but actually making things worse.

I accidentally introduced more aiptasia recently, and am waiting very impatiently (as they take over and slowly kill my corals) to be able to afford the good old nudis again.

Best place I've found to order them seems to be saltyunderground.com, or, if you can get there, I saw a vendor at reefapalooza CA who was breeding them and selling at a reasonable price.

As for removing them and sending them on to another person, that's fairly easy. Just wait till they come out at night and snag them gently off the glass. There's a good deal of demand for them, so your LFS might be interested in a trade...

Gene S.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel pretty lucky I have a emerald crab that has made it it's mission in life to eat any aiptasia along with any bubble algae that trys to grow.

butesch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kalk then super glue if I cant remove the rock, a flic of the Bic if I can
I vote for Berghia Nudibranchs. It took a while but it was fun to watch the aiptasia disappear one by one and then my Berghia's laid eggs that eventually hatched, and then they wiped out all the aiptasia. Great watch. I couldn't find anyone locally that would take them when they were done so they starved. I got mine at my LFS but ask yours to ship you some in. They order stuff all the time and should be reasonable.

Tony Spencer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it matter the size of the Aiptasia as to the solution you might try. I have 3 or 4 large ones that grew behind or under other things.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back