Aiptasia

MadCityReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To clarify the use of superglue when you touch them with the tip of the tube they will retract into the hole they are in. Once retracted then apply a small amount to fill the hole.
No chance of them releasing their spawn.
No offense but in my 20yrs in this hobby I've never heard anyone use super clue on aiptasia.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No offense but in my 20yrs in this hobby I've never heard anyone use super clue on aiptasia.
You have now...lol. I just did that on a frag disc a week ago XD I will say it works, but only for one polyp at a time. Super Glue Gel cures even underwater and appears to be fish-safe. Be sure to smother the entire thing. That said...my outbreak is too big for such methods...

Anldyxp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ONLY thing I've ever had truly work is the berghia nudibranchs. Tried tons of other methods to...well, not just no avail, but actually making things worse.

I accidentally introduced more aiptasia recently, and am waiting very impatiently (as they take over and slowly kill my corals) to be able to afford the good old nudis again.

Best place I've found to order them seems to be saltyunderground.com, or, if you can get there, I saw a vendor at reefapalooza CA who was breeding them and selling at a reasonable price.

As for removing them and sending them on to another person, that's fairly easy. Just wait till they come out at night and snag them gently off the glass. There's a good deal of demand for them, so your LFS might be interested in a trade...

Eienna, I see your located in Socal. Yes, Berghias are super expensive considering how many you need(depending on tank size) + Shipping. I found a guy local in LA on craigslist who was selling them for $5-7 a piece. I bought 5 of the little guys and they went to work. Let me know if you're in need of some Berghias. Haven't contacted the guy in over a year but I saved his number in my phone under "Aiptasia Rick". LOL

OP
OP
Duke4Life

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eienna, I see your located in Socal. Yes, Berghias are super expensive considering how many you need(depending on tank size) + Shipping. I found a guy local in LA on craigslist who was selling them for $5-7 a piece. I bought 5 of the little guys and they went to work. Let me know if you're in need of some Berghias. Haven't contacted the guy in over a year but I saved his number in my phone under "Aiptasia Rick". LOL
Hmmm shipping lol

Anldyxp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm shipping lol

Yeah, shipping is terrible. When I still had the Aiptasia outbreak going on I would sit at my desk with 5 small 1/4" Berghias @ $10 a piece and $40 shipping in the "Shopping Cart". Just sitting there thinking about whether I should complete the purchase or not. :D

Very lucky that I found a local seller. I think the guy was just breeding them for fun and to make some spare change too.

I'd say maybe buy 2 and just grown them in a QT tank and feed them aiptasia until you've got enough. You'll need some patience but you'll save some cheese.

OP
OP
Duke4Life

Duke4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, shipping is terrible. When I still had the Aiptasia outbreak going on I would sit at my desk with 5 small 1/4" Berghias @ $10 a piece and $40 shipping in the "Shopping Cart". Just sitting there thinking about whether I should complete the purchase or not. :D

Very lucky that I found a local seller. I think the guy was just breeding them for fun and to make some spare change too.
Would you mind finding out of he does? I have an aunt in LA I could possibly talk into picking up and shipping lol The cost is what's stopped me from getting some so far.

Anldyxp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you mind finding out of he does? I have an aunt in LA I could possibly talk into picking up and shipping lol The cost is what's stopped me from getting some so far.

I checked with him this morning and he says he'll have some in a few days but at the moment he's taking care of people from socalireefs.com than craigslist. He said to make an account there and check the WTB section. I guess he's selling a lot more now than he was a year ago.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YES FIND OUT AND GIVE ME THE NUMBER PLEEEEASE!!

My mom has to go to LA every 3 months or so, so that would be perfect. Otherwise it's going to run me at least $77-$90

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked with him this morning and he says he'll have some in a few days but at the moment he's taking care of people from socalireefs.com than craigslist. He said to make an account there and check the WTB section. I guess he's selling a lot more now than he was a year ago.
Terrific news. That's going to help sooooo much!!!

OP
OP
Duke4Life

Duke4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Appreciate it.

OP
OP
Duke4Life

Duke4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You bet! I think he's selling the for 7.50 a piece. 5 berghia limit though.

He's also looking to buy aiptasia (to feed his berghias of course) but it just sounds funny. LOL
Been in touch, now I need to get him to take me serious with the distance, but I do have a plan and offer when he calls.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to use Berghia, but my Melanarus Wrasse would finish them off as soon they hit the water. I've been using Aptasia-X on the ones that I could get to, but there are some that's impossible to reach and I can't remove the rock. My Melanarus doesn't touch any of my snails, fire shrimp or cleaner shrimp, so I'm hoping that the Peppermint I'm going to get this weekend will be safe and have a taste for Aptasia.... crossing my fingers.

OP
OP
Duke4Life

Duke4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some rock in my qt that was heavily covered and have had it air drying for a week since I broke the qt totally down before my move (just had rock and some hermits for a few months now).

Will air drying totally kill these or once I place back in DT they're going to show once again? @twilliard

G8trBait16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put 3 Peppermint shrimp in my 75g, which were eaten by my hawkfish in a matter of 3 hours. Put in 5 Berghia, my Melanarus or hawkfish didn't touch them and they have done a wonderful job at taking care of my Aiptasia. I have caught 4 of them and gave them to a fellow reefer that is having an Aiptasia issue. Seems to be problem solved.

OP
OP
Duke4Life

Duke4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put 3 Peppermint shrimp in my 75g, which were eaten by my hawkfish in a matter of 3 hours. Put in 5 Berghia, my Melanarus or hawkfish didn't touch them and they have done a wonderful job at taking care of my Aiptasia. I have caught 4 of them and gave them to a fellow reefer that is having an Aiptasia issue. Seems to be problem solved.
I've got 1 or 2 peppermint that keep my DT fairly clean of them. Was just wondering if air drying the rock would do the same?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 70 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back