Alan's 350gallon

alanbetiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When we moved a few months ago it was time to upgrade from my 190 gallon tank I had previously. The display is 96"long x 30" wide x 28" tall. I started a build thread on my local club so just decided to add it here.

This is after adding everything I had from the previous tank
I added 60lbs of dry rock, 100lbs of sand and 30lbs of crushed coral.

We built this house so added in a drain and water connections in the garage. Added a utility sink myself. Plumbed in my RODI system. The clear box in the back is top off RO water. There's a separate connection into the two trash cans plumbed together for saltwater mixing. The top hose on the right is my water syphon that reaches the tank about 45 ft away from the utility sink. The center hose is long enough for the top off and the bottom black hose is saltwater. Everything is gravity feed with no pumps which is why the trashcans are elevated on cinder blocks. Don't knock the cinder blocks when my "stand" only cost $15 and isn't going anywhere

There's not a lot of equipment to talk about really. The cabinet has three sets of double doors

On the far right is one sump on a stand that receives one drain line from the display. It flows to the left down into the main sump. I'll use this for frags and I just have a cheap Current USA LED fixture that is on an opposite time to the main display lights on it and a nano Koralia for more flow. My purple tang is down there because it was being a butt head to the new yellow tang. He's in Time Out.

The main sump is in the center. It has the standard three compartments. The second display drain line has a T in the top of the picture. The right side goes directly into the skimmer and the left goes into the right chamber. The skimmer I think is a DAS and has two recirculating pumps. It stays constant without needing to be at a certain water level which is nice. It's output was a few inches above the water so the slanted white PVC pipe redirects it back into the right chamber. To the right of the photo are the two drains from the other sump. The middle chamber has a deep sand bed and is for macro algae. I just use a clip on IKEA LED light.

The left chamber is the return section. I have a mag 9.5 for each of the two returns

On the left side of the stand is my top off and electrics. I only have two timers for the whole tank. One for the display and frag lights to turn on/off opposite. The second time is for my aqualifter to turn off/on every 15 minutes since it stops after about 10 min of being on constantly. I put my returns, water top off, and skimmer pump on one power strip to turn off for water changes. My power heads, which I have two Koralia 1050s in the display, and one in the frag section and my algae lights are on another power strip and are on constantly. My display lights are in a timer power strip. Theres another power strip empty for the future. All the power strips are attached to wood with multiple zipties so they cannot wiggle at all. And they are all plugged into a single power strip at plugs into the dedicated outlet I had the builders install for the aquarium that is on a gfci.

Mild setback this week I'll get some pictures up tomorrow.
When we built the house I requested a dedicated GFCI plug placed here for the tank. A few days ago we noticed the corals were looking bleached and got worse and worse through out the day. In testing the parameters I got shocked. Turns out one of the nano Koralias I have in the sump had stray voltage. I didn't have a Multimeter at the time to test how much, but once I removed the pump I no longer got shocked. After talking to our builder we found out they made a dedicated plug but it was not GFCI. Really annoying when you request it specifically and it did not happen. Electrician is coming out next week.
All my SPS were bleached, all the zoas were not opening, my anenome was 1/3 it's normal size, and my clams weren't open. All the fish were completely normal and eating well that afternoon. Now two days later I'm starting to see a little fluorescence on my SPS except for 3, all my zoas are fully open, and the anenome is about 1/2 the size it normally is. So I got lucky and didn't kill myself from the stray voltage and also it appears I only lost a few corals.

These were all taken immediately after the stray voltage was removed from the tank

On the right the zoas are closed and the plate is bleached

On the right the green slimer is gone and the middle was a rainbow montipora

The rainbow montipora in the middle is a loss and others are starting to come back

My anenome on the right is really shrunk along with the clam

My second clam is closed and this used to be about 100 Kedd red zoas all closed up

These frogspawn and hammer used to be about the size of a soccer ball and are looking better today

Things are finally bouncing back. Sailfin, purple and yellow tang

All 4 tangs. Kole, sailfin, purple and yellow

Two RBTA about 4 inches in diameter. I have two ocellaris that host it. There's another four in the tank also

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice setup! You mind me asking who built your tank? I've been looking for a tank with those exact dimensions!

OP
OP
A

alanbetiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks
Custom tank by DAS through one of the LFS in the Dallas area. I actually only wanted a 7 ft tank but didn't pay attention to the length when I got the quote and thought it was reasonable at 8 ft. At 8ft they said they couldn't go above a 28" water height to still use the 1/2" glass. Originally I wanted 36" deep and 30" tall but the increase to 3/4" glass on top of the size difference was about 3 times the costs.

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks
Custom tank by DAS through one of the LFS in the Dallas area. I actually only wanted a 7 ft tank but didn't pay attention to the length when I got the quote and thought it was reasonable at 8 ft. At 8ft they said they couldn't go above a 28" water height to still use the 1/2" glass. Originally I wanted 36" deep and 30" tall but the increase to 3/4" glass on top of the size difference was about 3 times the costs.

Thanks for the info Alan! I'm just down here in Austin so they may be what I go with when I'm ready to upgrade! I currently have a 215-gallon with 3/4" thick glass and I'm okay not having another tank with that glass thickness. Its hard to find magnetic accessories that work with it.

OP
OP
A

alanbetiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_9764.JPG
Getting my daughter started early!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool! Following along!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice job so far!

OP
OP
A

alanbetiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few weeks ago I noticed some of my zoas started to close up and die. When I really paid attention I kept seeing an Asterina on the single polyps before they disappeared. Then at night I checked the tank with a flashlight and turns out I had literally about 1000 starfish. Got a pair of harlequin shrimp and it took about two weeks before one came out of hiding. Hopefully I'll start seeing a dent soon. I'm still picking off starfish on my Magicians daily, no idea why they love those particular zoas.
IMG_0067.JPG
IMG_9969.JPG

OP
OP
A

alanbetiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been almost a month and so far I've only seen one Harlequin Shrimp since I've added the two. My biggest problem is the starfish stay mostly on the rocks and with the size of the tank I can't get to the back side of the rock even if I wanted to. The shrimp has stayed in pretty much one rock on the left side of my tank under the Frogspawn. On that one rock grouping I only see a few starfish. But the other 4 rock groupings are still completely covered at night with starfish. If I had 1000 starfish I probably still have 950 a month later with only one shrimp. I mean the rocks are covered with them at night! I ended up losing all the Magician zoas and they started eating two other small frags of orange zoas I recently got. I put all three of these right by the cave the shrimp lives in but it hasn't been quick enough to really keep them at bay. Every time I went by the tank there would be another starfish on the zoas. My sump is covered as well so moving them down there wasn't an option. I have a few other zoas in the tank but they all have 50+ polyps so I'm not worried about them. I'll probably add another shrimp or two in the coming weeks. Once I don't see as many I'll add more zoas. Until then I'll stay out of the zoa bit'ness.

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck on the asterina's. I've had my issues with them as well. Some people swear they're a great part of a CUC but I disagree as I've had some eat coral in my tank as well. If I remember correctly there is a type of starfish you can get that will eat those guys up. Let me see if I can find that thread. Beautiful tank by the way.

OP
OP
A

alanbetiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck on the asterina's. I've had my issues with them as well. Some people swear they're a great part of a CUC but I disagree as I've had some eat coral in my tank as well. If I remember correctly there is a type of starfish you can get that will eat those guys up. Let me see if I can find that thread. Beautiful tank by the way.
Thanks!
Yeah I think a few would be fine as CUC, but they started going nuts pretty soon after the move. I saw a different kind of shrimp called a Bongo Shrimp. I couldn't find out much about them and it was $60 at the store. I had concern it looked too small and delicate to add to the tank. It was about the size of a nickel. My tangs are ******s so probably would try to eat it. Too expensive for me to try.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 142 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back