AlexGs Basement Plywood Build 2 displays one system.

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what made you decide to use pond armor instead of another 2 part epoxy using the pour method?

After I watched the DIYking youtube videos on his plywood build I researched and found pond armor also had some videos available for using the product to build a plywood aquarium. After the research and reading on some forums I decided to go with pond armor. I like the fact that it is intended for aquarium use and that it has a low VOC also helped me make a decision. I needed to apply this stuff in my basement so a low VOC was a must even with ventilation in the basement. I guess seeing that someone else used it successfully was one of the big reasons I decided to go with pond armor. I did see some other liquid rubbers and epoxies available but I was unable to find good examples of these products being used on aquarium projects. After using pond armor on this build I think it is easy to use and apply with a brush or roller as long as you stay within the working time. The big test will be when I fill and monitor for leaks.

Maximizer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After I watched the DIYking youtube videos on his plywood build I researched and found pond armor also had some videos available for using the product to build a plywood aquarium. After the research and reading on some forums I decided to go with pond armor. I like the fact that it is intended for aquarium use and that it has a low VOC also helped me make a decision. I needed to apply this stuff in my basement so a low VOC was a must even with ventilation in the basement. I guess seeing that someone else used it successfully was one of the big reasons I decided to go with pond armor. I did see some other liquid rubbers and epoxies available but I was unable to find good examples of these products being used on aquarium projects. After using pond armor on this build I think it is easy to use and apply with a brush or roller as long as you stay within the working time. The big test will be when I fill and monitor for leaks.
Any idea when your going to be able to fill it up? In my research, uscomposites and max acr are pretty popular. I'm still debating between pond armor and the other 2 epoxys

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea when your going to be able to fill it up? In my research, uscomposites and max acr are pretty popular. I'm still debating between pond armor and the other 2 epoxys

I am projecting that I will be filling the tanks around April as a test. It might be sooner if I have the time get ahead with the work that needs to be completed.

Maximizer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am projecting that I will be filling the tanks around April as a test. It might be sooner if I have the time get ahead with the work that needs to be completed.
Can't wait to see them filled!

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well some progress last night. I have the top frame secured to the 480gallon tank. The extra glass trim to hold the pvc bottom of the 720 has also been completed. I hope to flip the 720gallon tank this weekend and start preparing for the glass installation.
20161207_204707.jpg

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Preparing to flip the 720 gallon tank and get it ready for the glass installation.
20161209_202839.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Getting closer!

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another quick update. I have installed the top frame on the 720gallon tank. I am starting to get the plumbing design finalized. I am toying around with some ideas for the main drain line.
20161227_201711.jpg

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another update to share. I added a small platform over the 265 gallon sump tank for some additional storage space. I also started to rough in some plumbing. I originally was going to wrap the main 3" drain line around the wall but seeing how that would make the drain line over 30' long I decided to make a direct run with a U trap similar to house hold plumbing on a sink only a lot bigger. There are access points on both sides of the U trap that will get air venting to allow for a smooth flow of water. I also built a platform to cover the U trap while creating a step for access behind the aquariums.
20170103_195137.jpg
20170103_195130.jpg
20170103_195148.jpg
20170103_195227.jpg

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update I have been busy working on preparing the tanks for their final coats of pond shield and getting more work on the fish room done. I added an open canopy above 150 gallon tank for mounting lights, light storage on top, and electrical outlets will be mounted on a sheet of plywood attached vertically. I attached 3 additional plywood panels to the sump stands that will be used for electrical outlets and cable management.
20170115_223722.jpg
20170115_223728.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's progressing!

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update. I have 2 coats of pond shield on the top frame and I am planning to apply a third coat tonight. I started work on my DIY overflows. I have a ways to go but I included a picture to give everyone an idea of what I am working on. If anyone is interested in a video of how I make this overflow let me know.
20170122_201415.jpg

ubasu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am interested in how you made the overflow. Also amazing build. I can't wait to see it finished!

acmonster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the build so far. I'm buying a new house and beginning to plan a fish room. I'm getting all sorts of excellent ideas here!!!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back