AlexGs Basement Plywood Build 2 displays one system.

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I finished up one of my overflows except for the top plate so I could test it out. I made a short video of the test so everyone can see it in action.

I will make a DIY video once I get one or two complete so I have the process down.
20170123_220146.jpg
20170123_220058.jpg

Cabinetman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I think your slots might be to narrow. They will likely clog up pretty quick. Even 1/4 slots I find are to narrow. 3/8 wide I found to be best. Just my experience..

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I think your slots might be to narrow. They will likely clog up pretty quick. Even 1/4 slots I find are to narrow. 3/8 wide I found to be best. Just my experience..

I actually did a lot of thinking about the slot width but with 1/4in or larger slots I have had lots of issues with small fish or shrimp getting sucked down into the sump over the years. The main reason that I went with 6in diameter PVC was to limit the suction of the overflow and provide a larger surface skimming area. There is roughly 20 inches of slots per overflow and there will be 3 overflows on each tank so if there is clogging it would take time to build up. I have not completed the top plate yet but it will serve the purpose of an emergency overflow strainer if the front screen gets clogged. The original overflows I was going to get had an even smaller slot width but I decided it was cheaper and more fun to build my own. On the plus side if I do have issues with clogging I can always take out every other tooth on the overflow to eliminate the problem. When I make my DIY video I will perform some clogging tests on the front screen.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very cool and works great it seems!

anarchy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I hope you're close to the western suburbs I'd love to see this in person once its all done

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another small update today. I have been working on the overflows this week and I have a total of 9 that I will finish so I will have 3 spares on hand. I also finished my first top cover with emergency drain slats. I made a short YouTube video to demonstrate the emergency drain in action in the event that the strainer completely clogs. I am still working on the full DIY video but I hope to finish it soon.

20170129_000731.jpg
20170128_232758.jpg
20170128_235227.jpg

tigé21v

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some progress has been made. I now have 3 coats of epoxy in the 480 gallon tank and the first coat of epoxy in the 720 gallon tank. I plan to get the fiberglass into the 720 gallon tank this weekend if I have time.

AQ1.jpg

aq2.jpg
AQ1.jpg
aq2.jpg
I have to know... All of this work you've done so far, has it all been done under those couple of basement light fixtures?? The older I get, it seems the more light I need to do anything. I can't imagine working all those hours under a couple of porcelain fixtures.
I stumbled across this thread last night. Had to read it all the way through.
A monster plywood tank is something I've wanted to do for a long time. I love what you're doing, though I don't know how you've made as much progress as you have with everything else going on in your life. You must not get much sleep.
I love the walkway behind the tanks. Talk about foresight!
Is there a reason you chose not to run the electrical above the tank with pvc conduit? Are you not worried about corrosion?
What are plans on handling flow, esp. in the reef tank? How much does a magnet that'll hold through 1 1/2" plywood cost??
I guess any of the fish species that need sand will be going in the reef tank?
It seems from the pics that the pond armor has a rougher texture than other 2 part epoxies?
That skimmer build looks like it has a lot of potential. Are you gonna share more info on it as it gets closer to being completed? I'd love to know how you're going to drive all the air that thing is going to need.
Are you planning on doing 2-part or a calcium reactor for supplementation?
And do you have room left down there for a water station?
Sorry for all the questions.

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to know... All of this work you've done so far, has it all been done under those couple of basement light fixtures?? The older I get, it seems the more light I need to do anything. I can't imagine working all those hours under a couple of porcelain fixtures.
A monster plywood tank is something I've wanted to do for a long time. I love what you're doing, though I don't know how you've made as much progress as you have with everything else going on in your life. You must not get much sleep.
Is there a reason you chose not to run the electrical above the tank with pvc conduit? Are you not worried about corrosion?
What are plans on handling flow, esp. in the reef tank? How much does a magnet that'll hold through 1 1/2" plywood cost??
It seems from the pics that the pond armor has a rougher texture than other 2 part epoxies?
That skimmer build looks like it has a lot of potential. Are you gonna share more info on it as it gets closer to being completed? I'd love to know how you're going to drive all the air that thing is going to need.

tigé21v you have a lot of valid questions there and I really think they can be better explained with a video and some more pictures. I have worked under those lights for the entire build but I do utilize head lamps quite a bit especially when I was applying the pond armor. I will see about getting a video together along with a tank update since I have made some progress over the last week.

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

tigé21v I think that this video should cover most of your questions. Let me know if you have anymore questions. I also included a small update on the build since I have added a door to the fish room and finished up my canopy sections that were unfinished.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back