Alex's Clownfish Breeding Journal

Nothead59

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of raising clownfish too. Mine are eight days old today and I was wondering when you put the fry into the grow out tank? I currently have 40 living in a bucket They are eating rotifers I bought and cultered from reed mariculture. Feeding rots with RG complete from the same. My clowns have already laid eggs again and I am hoping to raise some of them too. My clowns are black and white ocellarius...? I bought them from a Lfs and they had been tank raised. Any ideas ?... I am attaching pics of the eggs and at 5 days. Sorry I don't have a great camera.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

OP
OP
Alexcyf

Alexcyf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of raising clownfish too. Mine are eight days old today and I was wondering when you put the fry into the grow out tank? I currently have 40 living in a bucket They are eating rotifers I bought and cultered from reed mariculture. Feeding rots with RG complete from the same. My clowns have already laid eggs again and I am hoping to raise some of them too. My clowns are black and white ocellarius...? I bought them from a Lfs and they had been tank raised. Any ideas ?... I am attaching pics of the eggs and at 5 days. Sorry I don't have a great camera.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Hi, once the fry are stable, and eating pellets, I think they are good to go to a grow out tank that has a filtration system. To be safe, maybe after 1 month old? Definitely after metamorphosis.

For e species, I'm not quite sure just from your eggs and fry, need a photo of the parents. 8 days old with 40 fry is pretty good, passed e first critical stage, now your next obstacle will be metamorphosis. Have you started feeding brine shrimp?

Nothead59

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not started bbs I will start hatching today. Can you start feeding the A pellets now. I read that someone went straight from rots to that. I will upload a picture of the parents. They are in my reef display tank and I captured the fry with a larval catcher my husband built me. Where can I study about the metamorphosis?

image.jpeg

Nothead59

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to try to start my own journal. Haven't ever tried before.

OP
OP
Alexcyf

Alexcyf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Hi, once the fry are stable, and eating pellets, I think they are good to go to a grow out tank that has a filtration system. To be safe, maybe after 1 month old? Definitely after metamorphosis.

For e species, I'm not quite sure just from your eggs and fry, need a photo of the parents. 8 days old with 40 fry is pretty good, passed e first critical stage, now your next obstacle will be metamorphosis. Have you started feeding brine shrimp?
I have not started bbs I will start hatching today. Can you start feeding the A pellets now. I read that someone went straight from rots to that. I will upload a picture of the parents. They are in my reef display tank and I captured the fry with a larval catcher my husband built me. Where can I study about the metamorphosis?

image.jpeg

Yup, u can do rots to pellets too. Just that pellets need to be very small, the TDO A sizes. Also, it will take a while for e fry to get used to it. Bbs probably will be taken immediately.

Those are pretty nice black ocellaris! Many pple out there used to mix them with platinums and other variations for interesting breeds.

U can probably get more info on meta from the web, haha I'm not sure where else for more in depth info tho

Pewmichael

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds to me that your doing very well. Thanks for the step by step guide as I am setting up a clown breeding tank, and will use your experience.
Regards
Michael.

OP
OP
Alexcyf

Alexcyf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds to me that your doing very well. Thanks for the step by step guide as I am setting up a clown breeding tank, and will use your experience.
Regards
Michael.
Nah. Not well at all. I am able to keep them alive. But probably only at 10% survival rates max. Got a long way to go man..

Richie49

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My eggs are at day 3/4 and appear to be blackish. Is this normal? There are only around 8 eggs left btw

OP
OP
Alexcyf

Alexcyf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My eggs are at day 3/4 and appear to be blackish. Is this normal? There are only around 8 eggs left btw

Sorry for e late reply. It's quite normal, orangey then turns dark, eventually it should turn Greyish with silver eyes.

However number of eggs left is not very comforting:)

WestOhooligan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started feeding my fry TDO A on about day 3. There were usually eating it by day 5 and it helps the metamorphosis transition be less stressful. Don't always trust those ammonia badges. I used them too, but I also would do a small water change about every few days until I added the sponge filter.

Nothead59

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fry are now just over 35 days old. About half of them seem to lay on the bottom of the tank. They are eating and swim when they seem to want to. Do you think there is something wrong with them

OP
OP
Alexcyf

Alexcyf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fry are now just over 35 days old. About half of them seem to lay on the bottom of the tank. They are eating and swim when they seem to want to. Do you think there is something wrong with them
Try to put some porcelain pipes to house them. If they are eating it should be good. At 35 days perhaps u wanna increase oxygenation and flow in e tank to keep them swimming and exercising to grow faster

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Following!

ThreeAces_1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does adjusting the salinity help these fry survive? Im asking b/c I know a few stores that lower their salinity to keep their fish stock alive.

OP
OP
Alexcyf

Alexcyf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does adjusting the salinity help these fry survive? Im asking b/c I know a few stores that lower their salinity to keep their fish stock alive.
Hmm.. Usually I will keep e fry tank same salinity as my main tank. To aid the transition of e fry when they just hatch

Back