Algae Blenny Question

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey all I got an algae blenny about 1-2 months ago and it has always picked on LR, glass, and PH's. I even watched it picking on stuff tonight, but it is sooooo skinny. It's stomack looks all shrunk in and it refuses all types of foods. I have tried:

brine
cyclopeeze
reefnutrition pods
algae clips
flake
algae pellets

Any ideas?

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has always been a big fan of mysis shrimp. I actually had to move it to another tank and "re-train" it to eat algae because it stopped and was only eating mysis. Sounds like a strange problem to have with an algae blenny. Usually they have nice round bellies.

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try nori attached to a piece of live rock with a rubber band.

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
likely this will not be the case, but it has worked for me several times.

Ive had stubborn skinny fish from time to time, and low and behold the miracle food for them was Blood Worms. Not overly confident that this would be a good solution in this instance, but way be worth a try.

Also, if you have never tried Rod's Food, do so.

Ive never seen ANYTHING that didn't go into a feeding frenzy when i feed that stuff.

I'm convinced theres crack in it.

demonsperm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add some GSP. OR flake food or pellet or try a few frozen food from cyclops to brine to marine cusine. Are you sure its a type of algea blenny. To me it sounds like a type of dragon fish. Do you have its excect name or a pic ?

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is what it looks like...I am going to try rubber banding algae to a rock..

ScooterBlennyWMGo_U8.jpg

anomie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rev, I've been reading more and more posts about people having problems getting lawnmower blennies to eat. I remember when I first started this hobby that these guys were supposed to be super easy to care for. I wonder if they are being collected in a different area or something. Good luck. :)

Andy Lister

UK Aquatic Retailer Sort
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are very tricky to keep weight on. I've tried worming them in the past and thats worked really well. Is Prazaquantil easily available over there? Should sort it out if you can get it into a quarantine tank.

Failing that you need to get it onto mysis shrimp really. Of the foods you are feeding there is nothing with a very high protein or far content so you really need to be stepping up to the mark a bit more there.

If you think in the wild when they are grazing they'll be taking in loads of other food rather than algae which could be missing from a sterile tank.

Do you run UV?

~Andy

demonsperm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try flake and pellet and differant types of frozen. Or just add some GSP. This poor guy was caught in the ocean from its reef im sure and deserves a good try. Also remember to research any purchase before you buy for its feeding needs and effects. Measure 3 times and purchase one time. Please...

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 42 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.9%
Back