Algae help

Josett Waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So recently I've started to get hair, cyano, and bubble algae.
I have no clue why, I've checked literally everything. All parameters are in check, and everything is doing great in the tank at the moment expect my anemones which I believe are still getting adjusted to my tank.
But my question is, I've had cyano before and got rid of it with ChimeClean but that was just for the cyano. So will ChimeClean also work for hair and bubble algae or should I dose hydrogen peroxide or vibrate? I just want to see what will be good to get rid of all the algae but not hurt my anemones because I've never dosed anything in my tank before with anemones in it.
Thanks for any advise!
I'll post pics with this.

IMG_1859.JPG

IMG_1867.JPG

IMG_1861.JPG

SillyBeast67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's your flow? Seems like you might not have enough flow with a combination of overfeeding and too much light. Look into Vibrant. It's supposed to get rid of all nusance algae fairly quick and it's reef safe.

OP
OP
Josett Waid

Josett Waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's your flow? Seems like you might not have enough flow with a combination of overfeeding and too much light. Look into Vibrant. It's supposed to get rid of all nusance algae fairly quick and it's reef safe.
Flow should be good I can maybe adjust it, and it can't be over feeding because there is no fish in my tank. Light I don't know if it's an issue because it's on the lowest setting on whites.
But alright I'll probably go get some today or tomorrow from my LFS, I just wanted to make sure it was ok for anemones.
Thanks!

OP
OP
Josett Waid

Josett Waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
VIPARSPECTRA Timer Control 165W LED Aquarium Light Dimmable Full Spectrum

I just copied that since I didn't want to type all that lol but it's from Amazon.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That last picture should be checked out with a scope. I am suspecting chrysophytes.
The cyano came in on coral as I see it is isolated. Remove that rock and soak that with H2O2 (hope it's not spirulina)

OP
OP
Josett Waid

Josett Waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That last picture should be checked out with a scope
The cyano came in on coral as I see it is isolated. Remove that rock and soak that with H2O2 (hope it's not spirulina)
Are you talking about the stuff on the glass on the last pic?
Those corals on the one rock were added last week, it started to grow from where a coral used to be. I don't know why..
but I can remove it, it's a small rock.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like new tank stuff. I wouldn't mess with it. It actually will go away, just like every one says it does.
When a bio filter is young and weak, other organisms take it place.

OP
OP
Josett Waid

Josett Waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like new tank stuff. I wouldn't mess with it. It actually will go away, just like every one says it does.
This usually happens still around the 6 month mark?
My main question for this whole thread was to just figure out if ChimeClean or Vibrant would be good to dose with anemones in my tank?

SillyBeast67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant is perfectly safe with anemones. My reefing buddy is currently using it in his tank and he has 3 nems. I think vibrant might only be available online. It's 1000 times better than any product on the market. YouTube it.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This usually happens still around the 6 month mark?
yes. Ugly Phase.
I personally think and have observed its better to let the tank take care of its self. Manual removal, good husbandry etc. theres too many other consequences with vibrant. fewer with chemiclean.
I would not reccomend either in a young tank. The new coralline that I see coming in will do more for nutrints than anything else IMO.

OP
OP
Josett Waid

Josett Waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But also if is just tank stuff I can wait and leave it alone, my dad said I should probably just do that.
But in the future if I need to dose stuff I just want to make sure what ever it is, is ok for anemones.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant is perfectly safe with anemones. My reefing buddy is currently using it in his tank and he has 3 nems. I think vibrant might only be available online. It's 1000 times better than any product on the market. YouTube it.
she will probably get cyano from it. and it wont remove the cause of the issues.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But also if is just tank stuff I can wait and leave it alone, my dad said I should probably just do that.
But in the future if I need to dose stuff I just want to make sure what ever it is, is ok for anemones.
Used correctly they are both safe for anemones. But the long and short term health of the tank should be considered. Vibrant can be harsh on some systems as it can greatly drop the dissolved nutrients the corals need.

OP
OP
Josett Waid

Josett Waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used correctly they are both safe for anemones. But the long and short term health of the tank should be considered. Vibrant can be harsh on some systems as it can greatly drop the dissolved nutrients the corals need.
Alright thanks, I'll just let the tank be for now and just watch it.

OP
OP
Josett Waid

Josett Waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well since I have this thread up and don't think I should start one for just this question but I wanted to see if I could ask you some questions about anemones? I think you said somewhere that you had some anemones?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well since I have this thread up and don't think I should start one for just this question but I wanted to see if I could ask you some questions about anemones? I think you said somewhere that you had some anemones?
yes I have one. If I cant answer Ill get some help too.

OP
OP
Josett Waid

Josett Waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes I have one. If I cant answer Ill get some help too.
Alright great thanks! So I have two and they both are alive but not happy. And I want to figure out why.
I tested all my parameters yesterday and everything was spot on, calcium, magnesium, etc.
I asked my LFS owner what may be the problem and he said they probably don't have enough light.. So I said when I get home I'll increase it some and see if that helps but I just wanted to get a second opinion.
I can't take a pic right now since I'm not home but the new one is deflated and its mouth is pushed out. This happened with my first one but he seems to be doing better but still not too happy.
Do you think I should increase my light intensity to see if that helps?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright great thanks! So I have two and they both are alive but not happy. And I want to figure out why.
I tested all my parameters yesterday and everything was spot on, calcium, magnesium, etc.
I asked my LFS owner what may be the problem and he said they probably don't have enough light.. So I said when I get home I'll increase it some and see if that helps but I just wanted to get a second opinion.
I can't take a pic right now since I'm not home but the new one is deflated and its mouth is pushed out. This happened with my first one but he seems to be doing better but still not too happy.
Do you think I should increase my light intensity to see if that helps?
No, I wouldn't with out knowing more about your light and the age of your tank. I would consider starting a thread to get help with them if they are indeed in rough shape. The bad one sounds like a water issue.

OP
OP
Josett Waid

Josett Waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I wouldn't with out knowing more about your light and the age of your tank. I would consider starting a thread to get help with them if they are indeed in rough shape. The bad one sounds like a water issue.
Alright, I was about to look up more on my light to see what intensity would be best.. bad thing about buying Amazon lights, you just don't know what intensity to put it at..
but the tank is at 6 months at the end of this month it'll be 7.
But ok I'll probably start one when I get home so I can test my water again and get the exact numbers.

Back