Algae help

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, I was about to look up more on my light to see what intensity would be best.. bad thing about buying Amazon lights, you just don't know what intensity to put it at..
but the tank is at 6 months at the end of this month it'll be 7.
But ok I'll probably start one when I get home so I can test my water again and get the exact numbers.
cool. we can prob help figure out the light. Pics can help Id the animals problem. My first anemone curl up in a ball and died pretty much immediately..

OP
OP
Josett Waid

Josett Waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cool. we can prob help figure out the light. Pics can help Id the animals problem. My first anemone curl up in a ball and died pretty much immediately..
Great I hope so, because I don't know too much about the light because it goes from levels 1-100 in whites and blues. So it's confusing as to what intensity it is.
But dang.. luckily I've had my first one for about two weeks now and it hasn't died. The new one I've had since Saturday and last night it looked really good, it was all bubbled up and happy so I don't know what's going on..

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great I hope so, because I don't know too much about the light because it goes from levels 1-100 in whites and blues. So it's confusing as to what intensity it is.
But dang.. luckily I've had my first one for about two weeks now and it hasn't died. The new one I've had since Saturday and last night it looked really good, it was all bubbled up and happy so I don't know what's going on..
Its a 165w chinese? how far above the tank is it and what % is it. How deep is the tank

OP
OP
Josett Waid

Josett Waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a 165w chinese? how far above the tank is it and what % is it. How deep is the tank
Yes it is. It's about 12inchs above the tank. Right now it's on 1, I checked it with a light meter but I don't know if it was right. It said like 12 so I don't know what that means.
And the tank is 22 inches deep.

OP
OP
Josett Waid

Josett Waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it goes from 1-100.. at one it's so bright that's why I don't know if it's enough or too much.
The light is very confusing and right now I'm looking at what 1-100 means but nothing is really coming up.
So I'll keep looking.
If I had to guess the whole issue is the light intensity.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it goes from 1-100.. at one it's so bright that's why I don't know if it's enough or too much.
The light is very confusing and right now I'm looking at what 1-100 means but nothing is really coming up.
So I'll keep looking.
If I had to guess the whole issue is the light intensity.
yup. you have a lux meter?
it read in x10 and x100 you want the x 100.
if its the light i think it is (mars aqua) about 40% is good. that should be about 30,000 lux 25000 to 30,000 is a good number. Id start at 20,000

OP
OP
Josett Waid

Josett Waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup. you have a lux meter?
it read in x10 and x100 you want the x 100.
if its the light i think it is (mars aqua) about 40% is good. that should be about 30,000 lux 25000 to 30,000 is a good number. Id start at 20,000
Ok so what should I increase it to today when I get home? I know I should slowly increase it so I don't shock any other corals.
So if it goes from 1-100 I'm guessing that means 1%-100%, so maybe move it up to 10% or more?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so what should I increase it to today when I get home? I know I should slowly increase it so I don't shock any other corals.
So if it goes from 1-100 I'm guessing that means 1%-100%, so maybe move it up to 10% or more?
If you have a meter test it first. The coral and the Nem can both be "shocked". If the nem is new that may be the problem, it was under different light in the store. Or its a water prob.

OP
OP
Josett Waid

Josett Waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a meter test it first. The coral and the Nem can both be "shocked". If the nem is new that may be the problem, it was under different light in the store. Or its a water prob.
No we don't, I was using an app. But I'll probably go out today an buy one or get one offline.
Yeah the nem was in a frag tank with a kessil.
But ok I'll check everything again when I get home and make sure I tell ya so I can make sure the water is fine. Because if so then it's for sure the light.
It's just so odd, I have sps and flower pot corals and everything is really happy and healthy so I just hate that my nems aren't happy..

OP
OP
Josett Waid

Josett Waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acclimation to light is key.
Yes for sure. And I just don't know if I'm doing it right.. because like I said the light is very confusing and I'm not to sure on the intensity and since 1 is so bright I don't want to sound stupid but I thought maybe that was the highest intensity at first because I started to go to like 20 one day to just see and it dimmed up some so I'm just so confused.. I'll just have to get the light meter and go from there..

Last edited:

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I just don't know if I'm doing it right..
Thats R2r is cool. We gain experience and knowledge from others.
fwiw, our eyes are not good meters. I use the $14 red lux meter on amazon.
In short, the brightness of the light, is the amount of par. Its confusing for most.

OP
OP
Josett Waid

Josett Waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats R2r is cool. We gain experience and knowledge from others.
fwiw, our eyes are not good meters. I use the $14 red lux meter on amazon.
In short, the brightness of the light, is the amount of par. Its confusing for most.
Very true. But ok that's not a bad price I'll probably get that today and get it by Thursday.
But ok I'll still look up more on the light and figure it out better.

SillyBeast67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also anemones don't usually do too well in younger tanks. For some reason they just don't like em. Not sure if it's a lack of nutrients or bad fluctuations in perams, who knows. I hear a lot of stories from people getting anemones and then they die and when people ask how old their tank is, they usually say less than a year. I hope they don't die because Anemones stink pretty bad when they die.

OP
OP
Josett Waid

Josett Waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just got home an hour ago, I'm about to test the water and tell ya what everything is at.
When I got home the big one was really big and bubblie again but once I put in some corals that I needed to float he got mad and back to the way he was, looking really unhappy..
but I did talk to my LFS owner again and she ended up having almost the exact same light as me and she told me that the 1-100 is percentage wise. So she said at 40 it should be good for the nems so tonight I'm gonna set the whites for 10 and see how they act tomorrow. And slowly increase the light over the next few weeks.

OP
OP
Josett Waid

Josett Waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok all testing done, finally!
So for regular test. pH, Nitrate, and Nitrite. I didn't test ammonia simply because I didn't really think I needed to.

Also water is good, 1.025.
And temp. Is at 78.

For Ca, Mg, and KH.
Ca is at 400
Mg is at about 0.65 so I would say exactly 1300.
KH is at about 0.64 so 9.0 dKH.
If I need to post pics of the three I can.
@saltyfilmfolks

IMG_1869.JPG

IMG_1870.JPG

IMG_1871.JPG

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 133 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back