Algae Reactor

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought we are here to share experience and ideas, i don't understand what is so top secret u can't share. And about YouTube video don't think it's necessary, water goes in from the bottom out from the top, lights and that's about it.
That's right you don't understand I agree with that from your post. We are talking development with a manufacturer it's not something that has been finalised just a few ideas he will try. Sorry if you don't understand that and I can't make you.

Eckolancer

LED GURU
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been thinkng about doing a diy reactor with a 150 phosban reactor, have you guys been getting algae growth on the inside chamber that has to be cleaned every week?

I haven't as of yet but I don't really have algae that builds up on my glass like most tanks.

melmel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats the only thing deterring my efforts lol especially if algae covers it alot

reefknight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was seriously considering DIY'ing one from scratch. Sourced majority of the parts, but still required some CNC work. This would be less expensive. I would like to see upgrades made in the LED's, as you have made to yours. A couple questions; have you been able to adapt the British Standard fittings to US fittings? Any leakage from it being ran externally? Not sure of the size that I would require. I run a 200g total water volume with a heavy bioload. Afraid the 200 may be cutting it too close. Do you find running the oversized reactor on yours to be an issue? Thanks for sharing your experiences.

OP
OP
olegaz

olegaz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im in uk so no problems with fittings. im running it externally and i dont have any problems. size wise i think take tallest you can live with:) oversize wont be an issues, having bigger will be bonus as u wont have to harvest as often

OP
OP
olegaz

olegaz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was seriously considering DIY'ing one from scratch. Sourced majority of the parts, but still required some CNC work. This would be less expensive. I would like to see upgrades made in the LED's, as you have made to yours. A couple questions; have you been able to adapt the British Standard fittings to US fittings? Any leakage from it being ran externally? Not sure of the size that I would require. I run a 200g total water volume with a heavy bioload. Afraid the 200 may be cutting it too close. Do you find running the oversized reactor on yours to be an issue? Thanks for sharing your experiences.
hi,
im in uk so no problems with fittings. im running it externally and i dont have any problems. size wise i think take tallest you can live with:) oversize wont be an issues, having bigger will be bonus as u wont have to harvest as often

OP
OP
olegaz

olegaz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After inner pipe start cracking I got replacement made from glass.
Decided to wrap main cilinder with white vinyl and gonna use some filter sponge. And some heat shrink around led
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

gettaReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After inner pipe start cracking I got replacement made from glass.
Decided to wrap main cilinder with white vinyl and gonna use some filter sponge. And some heat shrink around led
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Very innovative! Please keep posting on how it works out for you. Where did you get the glass tube, or was it custom made?

OP
OP
olegaz

olegaz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Replacement was supplied by Clear Tides the company that makes reactor. Wrapping in white to minimise light loss.

gettaReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, good to see the manufacturer helping customer with improvements in their product. I like the look and function of this reactor but wow (!), that is a lot of thumb - screws on the top. But overall, that is a small inconvenience. Thank you for continuing to share

Also, just curious, why not go with black vinyl covering over white? Or does that not make any difference

OP
OP
olegaz

olegaz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something to d
Nice, good to see the manufacturer helping customer with improvements in their product. I like the look and function of this reactor but wow (!), that is a lot of thumb - screws on the top. But overall, that is a small inconvenience. Thank you for continuing to share

Also, just curious, why not go with black vinyl covering over white? Or does that not make any difference
thats because white won't absorb as much light as black. I came across one article about algae scrubbers and they been recommending white colour units as more efficient.

OP
OP
olegaz

olegaz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
olegaz

olegaz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi any update on the reactor how is it working for you
Im happy with new glass inner tube, done some cleaning last night, I had some gha in reactor, not using any gfo or carbon I my tank now, gha slowly going away.
image.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back