Algae Scrubber help

Purple Platapus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone I am trying to make a diy algae scrubber and I found that there are two types: where the water drips/falls over the algae's growing media and one where air bubbles over the algae's growing media. So here is a question for you who have experience with this contraption: which one works better? Drip-down type or bubbles type? Thanks

Also which stores do you recommend for finding the knitting canvas on which the algae grows on? I can't find any.

9balliw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a waterfall style scrubber and it is working good The choice of which one would depend on your setup. I found the plastic knitting sheet at hobby lobby but any craft store should have them And then rough it up good As for lighting I found some LEDs on eBay for cheap and work good
image.jpg

Stephanie11

Fragaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just made a water fall style scrubber 2 days ago.
More people can chime in.
One with bubbles is an up flow.
Up flow you need space in your sump

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also which stores do you recommend for finding the knitting canvas on which the algae grows on?
You want Darice #7 plastic canvas. Check fabric supply stores. Down here, it's a Jo-Ann Fabric, Michaels, sometimes WalMart. Clear stuff (not really clear, just not colored)

I rough up using 2 stages: first, I clamp it down on the corners and use a wire brush (center crimp only) attachment on a drill at slow/medium speed, and make passes left/right, top/bottom, & diagonal both ways, flip and repeat. Then I use a sharp tooth saw blade held in hand and to ~1" concentric circles clockwise then counterclockwise, flip, repeat. Works well.

This video is older and doesn't show the first stage, but I do cut myself which is awesome.

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched it cringing the whole time in anticipation of you taking a chunk of your finger off. Flinging that sharp blade so close to your fingers! LOL Almost as bad as the time I got my pinky finger stuck between two MP40 wetsides when I was cleaning them. I could not pull them apart and was running around the house with the tip of my finger stuck between them screaming at my wife to help me cause I only had one good hand. We both could barely get them apart. She though it was hilarious after the fact. Honestly, it was kinda funny afterwards.

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my algae scrubber. Rybren showed me this about 5 yrs ago, when I first put my tank together! Two veggie clips and a piece of plastic canvas. I did learn from this thread that you need to rough it up a bit. So that is done and it is back in place! I can't wait to see if I get better results this go around.

IMG_2640.jpg

Last edited:

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my upflow. I think the difference is how they will work best in your set up. I have nice spaces in my sump for the upflow.

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly didn't know to much about them, I was just starting in the hobby. It worked really well, was very simple and was perfect for my setup! How does an upflow work?

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upflow works using an airflow up a sheet of same material as mentioned above, Darice #7 plastic canvas. These are usually places into the water (preferably a sump). Then light is run onto them for 12 -16 hours a day. Same concept, but adding the air. This creates an ideal environment in a small space.

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the explanation! I love to learn new things and in this hobby there is a lot to learn!!!

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will never stop learning. Just have different focuses. It is so evolving, I cannot keep up with everything. I focus on what interests me and go for being good at that. :)

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly, if you try to look at and master everything at once it would become pretty overwhelming!

WillieD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is from August but, here is my algae scrubber. Rybren showed me this about 5 yrs ago, when I first put my tank together! Two veggie clips and a piece of plastic canvas. I did learn from this thread that you need to rough it up a bit. So that is done and it is back in place! I can't wait to see if I get better results this go around.

IMG_2640.jpg
Hey drstratton...so you using the plastic mesh for a barrier in your sump? So it seems like a fuge with holes? I am def trying this?

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey drstratton...so you using the plastic mesh for a barrier in your sump? So it seems like a fuge with holes? I am def trying this?

Lol, that wasn't what I was going for, but it does look that way! It works fantastic & doesn't take up any room. I use a 6500k bulb in my sump.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back