Algae scrubber in a phosban reactor?

Bongo Shrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been struggling with high phosphates and nitrates for way too long now in my 29g biocube. In an attempt to get rid of the nitrates I hooked up a phosban reactor with biopellets inside. So far I have not gotten the desired results and am ready to try something different.

Because I have so little room in my biocube (for extra equipment) I figure why not use the phosban reactor to house the algae scrubber?

It has flow, it is clear so I can supply light, and there is space for growing medium- ie mesh of some sort.

So if I take out the biopellets do you think this would work? I personally don't see why not but then again I'm not an expert.

subielover

Renegade reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my very limited understanding of algae scrubbers, the mesh that the algae will grow on is out of the water, with water running over it. To the best of my knowledge, that would be difficult to do with a phosban reactor. I'm curious how long you ran the pellets for and what pellets you used?

OP
OP
Bongo Shrimp

Bongo Shrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my very limited understanding of algae scrubbers, the mesh that the algae will grow on is out of the water, with water running over it. To the best of my knowledge, that would be difficult to do with a phosban reactor. I'm curious how long you ran the pellets for and what pellets you used?

I heard you do not necessarily need to have the mesh out of the water but then again I'm no expert either. I mean I can't understand why it wouldn't work both ways.

As for the pellets I have had them in there for over 5 ish months and they are the vortex pellets. But I don't want to keep discussing them here because they have not worked for me and I have done enough troubleshooting for them.

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, pretty much anything you have water running through that has light shining on it long enough will grow algae, right?

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes algae can grow anywhere there is light, but it will not work, simply because algae will coat the clear plastic rather than just the surface area provided for growth. Try using another brand, or verifying your test kits accuracy. Use granulated gfo, pellets do not seem to have enough surface area.

OP
OP
Bongo Shrimp

Bongo Shrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have a magnetic algae scrubber in there to get rid of the algae on the glass. It would be kind of annoying to have to do it more often but that fixes that issue.

srusso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I have become a little bit of an algae scrubber expert... maybe more of an apprentice in actuality. But an expert when you compare myself to the general reef community. As for building an algae scrubber from a reactor, I dont think so... that being said lets see a full tank shot with cabinet open showing plumbing, etc. The good thing is that for a small tank like yours it doesn't take much space to run a scrubber. 5x5 screen if you can light it from both sides, would be almost double the size needed for your tank. Happy to help, lets see what we are working with...

FYI, word of warning, once you go algae scrubber, you'll never want to run a tank without one... :wink:

OP
OP
Bongo Shrimp

Bongo Shrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any plumbing to show you because I have none. Just the reactor hanging on the side of the tank with two lines going in the tank. The only place I could put the scrubber is in the space between the hood and the filter pad in chamber two of the filter. It's in a biocube 29.

There has to be a not too hard way to do this...

srusso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been done like that, one minute, let me dig it up. I remember someone modifying a nano hood to build a scrubber into it.

srusso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do a few things... it depends how "pretty" it needs to be...

In order of prettiness... lol

Algae Scrubbers • View topic - Now designing: The Santa Monica 25 Nano Scrubber - SantaMonica hasn't really started selling these units yet. But you may be able to contact him (IMHO your best option)

Algae Scrubbers • View topic - jnad nano scrubber - harder to build, HOB-like algae scrubber, but yet to been proven

Before considering the last one, see what you can think of yourself. I have started a very long thread on reef central, on algae scrubber basics
Algae Scrubber Basics - Reef Central Online Community

Algae Scrubbers • View topic - 6 Gal Nano Build - highly modified 6 gallon nano, I wouldn't do this, if it was me...

srusso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing I just though of, and after "googling" it, so have others. You can take the reactor and fill it with chaeto... make a chaeto reactor. However I have no clue how well it would work, but in theory it has to work...

OP
OP
Bongo Shrimp

Bongo Shrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I was thinking of trying that first since it takes just about nothing to put together.

The first design up there looks awesome. I'd just have to figure out how to rig it into my system. I'm going to get some cheato and try it out in the reactor. I can just get a little light from home depot to try it out.

srusso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I was thinking of trying that first since it takes just about nothing to put together.

The first design up there looks awesome. I'd just have to figure out how to rig it into my system. I'm going to get some cheato and try it out in the reactor. I can just get a little light from home depot to try it out.

The first one, could be placed directly on top of your tank

As for the Chaeto reactor...
Yeah you could grab one or two T5 lights, put them on both sides, should be on for 18hours a day and off for 6 hours. shoot for 2700k - 6500k bulbs. 2700k - 3000k being the best choice.

CFL or spot lights will not work here for the reactor.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bongo Shrimp

Bongo Shrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok it is now filled with cheato and I'm going to get some grow lights from home depot later. I don't want to spend a ton on T5s for this little experiment.

srusso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok it is now filled with cheato and I'm going to get some grow lights from home depot later. I don't want to spend a ton on T5s for this little experiment.

Walmart has cheap T5 ballasts that are intended for use under overhead kitchen cabinets. To light your kitchen countertops, you know? $9 each, I think they are 9" bulbs, no reflectors thought, you would have to DIY that part. I haven't purchased them myself, but kept in the back of my mind for future projects... :)

OP
OP
Bongo Shrimp

Bongo Shrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just looking at those at home depot and was like "no way those have enough power". They had some 14" ones for like 15$. Those will work?

Then maybe some tin foil for reflectors?

Back