navillusii

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is one better than the other?
Can I run both?
What to I do with the Chaeto after its harvested?

Planning a 45-55 gallon long. Mixed reef and fish.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After harvesting, you can either feed it to your fish, or toss it in the trash (or compost pile).

Both methods accomplish the same thing. Scrubbers claim to be somewhat more efficient, but in reefer reality, I'm not sure it is always attained.

I did find that Caulerpa racemosa is more efficient than chaeto, but easily becomes a pest in the main tank if you do not have suitable fish to eat it.

SchnitzelReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae scrubbers can turn into a head ache, and can be noisy if not built correctly. If you have an area in your sump that you can add chaeto too, that's the way to go

Wakerider52

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was having a big algae problem in my tank, hair algae growing on my rocks. I would scrub the rocks every other week and had chaeto in my refugium. And it was just getting worse every week. I saw how to make a algae scrubber, figured it would be a great or experiment, it wouldn't hurt anything, had left over pvc parts and got a pump. Cost maybe $40 total, but my algae problem is practically gone. I have a little algae on the back wall but all the hair algae...GONE. I would have to say it was the best DIY addition I added. I have a 180 g display w/ a 50 g sump.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you run a big enough Algae Turf Scrubber, according to the size of your DT, you would not have to run a skimmer.
Chaeto and other Macro Aglae are great to run, but need to be in large quantities to do what a ATS can do alone.

g6gang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was having a big algae problem in my tank, hair algae growing on my rocks. I would scrub the rocks every other week and had chaeto in my refugium. And it was just getting worse every week. I saw how to make a algae scrubber, figured it would be a great or experiment, it wouldn't hurt anything, had left over pvc parts and got a pump. Cost maybe $40 total, but my algae problem is practically gone. I have a little algae on the back wall but all the hair algae...GONE. I would have to say it was the best DIY addition I added. I have a 180 g display w/ a 50 g sump.
Did you do waterfall or up flow style? Can you share details of your design with pics? How long did it take to kick in? I have had terrible luck with any type of macro..was going to try ATS but then decided to give Seachem DeNitrate and Matrix a try. I do have hair algae growing in refugium..so I am thinking to just let it grow in there with a scrubber

jeremy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one of Bud's scrubbers. Built to last. I haven't had it long enough to say it's better or worse than a fuge with macros yet but the growth is really good it's pretty quiet and we'll built. Only takes 10-15 minutes to get it mounted and running. It's starting to reduce some of the algae in my display. I have some problem rock that it's pulling the phosphates. Hopefully in a couple more months all algae in display will be gone.

I have run a fuge with chateo and culerpa but never really grew that fast. But that could have been other factors like light and fuge size. I guess it's more of what you have room for or what you can add to existing system.

g6gang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one of Bud's scrubbers. Built to last. I haven't had it long enough to say it's better or worse than a fuge with macros yet but the growth is really good it's pretty quiet and we'll built. Only takes 10-15 minutes to get it mounted and running. It's starting to reduce some of the algae in my display. I have some problem rock that it's pulling the phosphates. Hopefully in a couple more months all algae in display will be gone.

I have run a fuge with chateo and culerpa but never really grew that fast. But that could have been other factors like light and fuge size. I guess it's more of what you have room for or what you can add to existing system.
Do uou have a link to this scrubber?

jeremy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a place with size description and order information. Or just email him. Excellent customer service. Check out you tube also. He has some videos on there.

Wakerider52

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
image.jpg
The design is actually pretty simple it took about 2 weeks for me to notice the algae fading away. About a month to go away quite a bit

TDTA1181

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a S.Monica Surf2s & if I run in conjunction w/ my skimmer w/ a 3-4 light off cycle I can't register phosphates or Nitrates. Kinda scary when u can't get a reading on anything. Lol

LouieP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a L2 Scrubber from Bud that I just set up in August and I have a thread that you follow click here. I use to run a Sulfur Nitrate reactor but I was still having problems w algae & PO4. Im just starting to notice the hair algae on the overflow is starting to disappear.

Oh, I tried growing macro algaes but most never did that well. The ATS is the way to go.

Last edited:

SaltyBiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a DIY waterfall ATS along with chaeto/feather calerpa. Works great. Pods hang out on the algae mat that grows and I have zero hair algae in my tank. I decided to try it out little over a year ago and it takes about a month to really start seeing results and growing good turf algae on the grid. Does a great job of helping to keep my Po4 and Na3 in check and no need to use GFO and other phosphate control methods. I've become a true believer in it.
Remember though if you've had high Po4 and bad algae problems in your tank before, don't expect results overnight. Po4 could remain bound in your rocks feeding algae growth on them even if you aren't detecting it through water tests.

mocika

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What abouth ATS in Acropora dominated tank? I have seen a lot of great Acropora tanks using chaeto but i cant say same for ATS users? Im not telling that ATS is not good for Acroporas tank but just asking coz i dont know :)

LouieP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My L2 ATS from Bud @ Turbo's Aquatics has been set up for 40 days and my system is 2 yrs old and is an SPS dominate tank. Here are the photos of my most recent cleaning which is 8 days of growth. I believe that the DIY scrubbers just don't get the same growth results. They use the wrong type of lights at the wrong wave length & their screens are too large.

PO3 = 0.05 ppm
NO3 = 0

Before I got my L2 Scrubber my PO3 has tested as high was 0.92 ppm but ranged from 0.3-0.5ppm with Phosguard & PO3 pad.

Before cleaning
2015-09-16 (1).jpg 2015-09-16 (2).jpg

After cleaning
2015-09-16 (3).jpg 2015-09-16 (4).jpg

Harvest
2015-09-16 (5).jpg 2015-09-16 (6).jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back