Alk, calcium, and other elements in reef tank.

Jmas4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need help on how I'm going to balance my alk, calcium ect. I want to keep water changes to a minium 150 gallons a week would be too much so I want to dose alk and calcium or set up reactors.

1. For a 1500 gallon reef would dosing DYI 2 part, mag, and trace elements be better or having a calcium reactor, kalk Wasser reactor and dosing trace.

2 If I dose how should I make the solution? It's going to be DYI so I'm using baked baking soda for alk and some sort of calcium solution. I need help on what I need if I'm making my own solutions.

3 If I can make alk, calcium, and trace elements stable along with coral growth do I need to do waterchanges?

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with a calcium reactor for that size system. I would add vinegar spiked kalk if needed.
Do you need to do water changes? That is a much more difficult question that really only you can answer. I think the real questions is what do you want to accomplish/think is accomplished by water changes?

OP
OP
Jmas4

Jmas4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to reduce the water changes to 20 percent a month or something. Doing 150 gallon a week is too much. I decided to get a calcium reactor and dose kalk by baked baking soda. Do I need to dose trace elements.

OP
OP
Jmas4

Jmas4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some clarification. Calcium reactors will give back the same amount of calcium and alk a coral needs correct?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back