Alk dropping but high Calcium/Magnesium

michaelr7170

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been struggling a bit with my parameters the last couple of months on my 90 gallon SPS. My alkalinity levels slowly drop but my calcium and magnesium levels are very high. My magnesium is consistently around 1500, and my calcium ranging from 480-510. But my alk seems to be dropping (slowly but surely), measured this morning at 8.16 (around 9.5-10 most of December). Note that I use salifert kits for all 3 of these parameters.

I'm dosing 20mL/day of 2-part, not concerned about my alkalinity too much, it's in range and I have pretty good control. The problem I'm having is with the high levels of Calcium/Magnesium. How do I get these down in check without messing up my dosing pattern? I'm using Red Sea Coral Pro salt at ~1.026 salinity.

I guess my question is, is it necessary to dose the same amount of calcium/alk, or can I alter slightly?

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been struggling a bit with my parameters the last couple of months on my 90 gallon SPS. My alkalinity levels slowly drop but my calcium and magnesium levels are very high. My magnesium is consistently around 1500, and my calcium ranging from 480-510. But my alk seems to be dropping (slowly but surely), measured this morning at 8.16 (around 9.5-10 most of December). Note that I use salifert kits for all 3 of these parameters.

I'm dosing 20mL/day of 2-part, not concerned about my alkalinity too much, it's in range and I have pretty good control. The problem I'm having is with the high levels of Calcium/Magnesium. How do I get these down in check without messing up my dosing pattern? I'm using Red Sea Coral Pro salt at ~1.026 salinity.

I guess my question is, is it necessary to dose the same amount of calcium/alk, or can I alter slightly?

You should be able to dose your alkalinity by itself as the others fall. Are you running low in nutrients?

OP
OP
M

michaelr7170

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be able to dose your alkalinity by itself as the others fall. Are you running low in nutrients?
Maybe I will cut the calcium back to 10-15mL/day and see how that goes, while maintaining 20mL/day of alk?

And yes, I've always had a ULNS (not intentionally)

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I will cut the calcium back to 10-15mL/day and see how that goes, while maintaining 20mL/day of alk?

And yes, I've always had a ULNS (not intentionally)

I've never had one intentionally either but I would not does magnesium along with the calcium just the alkalinity and do it over a slow period So that the animals can adjust

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also check your levels as in phosphate and nitrate and go from there.

OP
OP
M

michaelr7170

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The calcium and magnesium levels are high due to the salt mix having elevated levels. :)
I understand the parameters for coral sea pro salt are on the high side, but my levels are still on the high side, particularly magnesium. Also, my alkalinity levels don't reflect the salt parameters..

Is there any issue with dosing unequal parts of 2-part Randy? Or would you recommend just staying the course and leaving it as is..

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 35 ppt, Red Sea Coral Pro claims to mix to 1475 ppm magnesium and 477 ppm calcium. You are not much higher and your values are not a concern. :)

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand the parameters for coral sea pro salt are on the high side, but my levels are still on the high side, particularly magnesium. Also, my alkalinity levels don't reflect the salt parameters..

Is there any issue with dosing unequal parts of 2-part Randy? Or would you recommend just staying the course and leaving it as is..

Randy has stated in many posts before that dosing one part of a two-part is OK. I've noticed personally that alkalinity drops much faster than calcium and magnesium so to keep up with demand I dose them out of sync.

Big B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been fighting this as well. My Calcium stays the same but Alk drops a little, to fix, I have been dosing only BRS 2part Alk to keep it stable.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been fighting this as well. My Calcium stays the same but Alk drops a little, to fix, I have been dosing only BRS 2part Alk to keep it stable.

That is what many folks see because of the math of the ratio of consumption and the accuracy/precision of our test kits.
Here's my comment from an article:

When Do Calcium and Alkalinity Demand Not Exactly Balance? by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-12/rhf/index.htm

Apparent Excess Demand for Alkalinity

One of the most common complaints of new aquarists is that their aquaria seem to need more alkalinity than their balanced additive system, such as limewater, is supplying. While there are reasons this may actually be the case over the long term (these will be detailed later in this article), frequently these aquarists are seeing a "chemical mirage" rather than a real excess demand for alkalinity.

One of the interesting features of seawater is that it contains a lot more calcium than alkalinity. By this I mean that if all of the calcium in seawater (420 ppm; 10.5 meq/L) were to be precipitated as calcium carbonate, it would consume 21 meq/L of alkalinity (nearly 10 times as much as is present in natural seawater). In a less drastic scenario, let's say that calcium carbonate is formed from aquarium water starting with an alkalinity of 3 meq/L that it is allowed to drop to 2 meq/L (a 33% drop). How much has the calcium declined? It is a surprise to many people to learn that the calcium would drop by only 20 ppm (5%). Consequently, many aquarists observe that their calcium levels are relatively stable (within their ability to reproducibly test it), but alkalinity can vary up and down substantially. This is exactly what would be expected, given that the aquarium already has such a large reservoir of calcium.

So the first "deviation" from the rule of calcium and alkalinity balance really isn't a deviation at all. If an aquarist is supplying a balanced additive to his aquarium, and calcium seems stable but alkalinity is declining, it may very well be that what is needed is more of the balanced additive, not just alkalinity. This scenario should be assumed as the most likely explanation for most aquarists who should look for more esoteric explanations for alkalinity decline only if calcium RISES substantially while alkalinity falls. Likewise, if alkalinity is rising and calcium seems stable when using a balanced calcium and alkalinity additive system, the most likely explanation is that too much of the additive system is being used.

The real imbalance effects described later in this article take effect slowly, and are manifested over weeks, months and years. This short term "chemical mirage" caused simply by the mathematics of calcium and alkalinity additions can be seen in a single addition. Any effect that develops rapidly over the course of a few days is almost certainly not a true imbalance.

The following scenarios show what can happen to a reef aquarium whose dosage with a balanced additive system does not match its demand. Table 1 shows what can happen when the dosing is inadequate. Alkalinity drops fairly rapidly. After two days, many aquarists might conclude that they need additional alkalinity, when in reality, they need more of both calcium and alkalinity to stabilize the system.

Table 2 shows what happens when too much of a balanced additive is added. After a few days, many aquarists would conclude that alkalinity is rising too much, but that calcium is fairly stable. Again, what is needed is less of the balanced additive, not just less alkalinity.

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So does this mean you need to add equal amounts of alk/cal.When trying to raise alk ?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So does this mean you need to add equal amounts of alk/cal.When trying to raise alk ?

I would, unless calcium is already too high. A 2 dKH boost to alk will only boost calcium by about 13 ppm.

But you do not "need" to. :)

JonasRoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The drop if alkalinity is a cause of natural thing, it should decreasing, as it always is a consumption av alkalinity due to CaCO3 formation and biological processes as nitrification. So the issue here is not your decreasing KH but the too high Calcium. Remember that Ca consumes with 7 ppm for each 1dKH due to CaCO3-formation, AND the resolution of a Calciumtest is lower than of a dKH test, so you will not detect these 7 ppm easy as you of course will detect 1.0 dKH. So first of all, adjust Balling-doses or 2 part doses according to your dKH in first place. BUT here you have an imbalance between KH/Ca, so in this case I should simply stop the Ca-channel, continue with the dKH channel, and when ca and dKH again corresponds (that is: for each dKH value you should have a certain Ca-value, around 7dKH/410ppm ca, 8dKH/417 ppm ca etc), then you go back and continue dosing same amount from the ca and KH channel. it is common that you from time to time have to do this adjustments as the most biological systems take some more dKh than Ca due to nitrification and some other processes that not involve Ca but dKH consumption.

Jonas Roman

Paulandreti

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I know this is and old post, but I´m experiencing this very same situation, it is very good to see that this is a common thing, however I wanted to check with you guys, if this is the right way to go, for what I read I could keep adding the regular additives, I use the red sea MG, CA and KH. but I´m currently using only a KH booster and has been leveling things up.

Would you recommend I limit this to the complete dosing or should I keep adding the KH booster?

Thanks,

Paulandreti

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I know this is and old post, but I´m experiencing this very same situation, it is very good to see that this is a common thing, however I wanted to check with you guys, if this is the right way to go, for what I read I could keep adding the regular additives, I use the red sea MG, CA and KH. but I´m currently using only a KH booster and has been leveling things up.

Would you recommend I limit this to the complete dosing or should I keep adding the KH booster?

Thanks,

Paulandreti

It is likely fine to just add the alkalinity part if you are monitoring calcium, but you should know that calcium declines more slowly and it can be hard to accurately see the decline in a short time of observation.

ReefSTX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum. Been reefing for about 2 years now.

I recently experienced a drop in my Alk as well, however I did notice this change in Cal to Alk ratio when I added two decent sized SPS corals to my system. My previous parameters: Cal 420, Alk 9dkh, changed to Cal 460, Alk 8dkh (around 2PM the following day after adding the corals). Later that same day after my dosing pump kicked in, I tested my parameters about an hour after Cal, Alk, and Mg was dosed, the results were Cal 440, Alk 8dkh (7PM). Not sure what to make of this fluctuation. It is important to note that there was a 5hr gap between the first test at 2PM, and the last test at 7PM. Any input is much appreciated.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure exactly how much of what you are dosing and when, but the calcium values moving around between 420 and 460 may just be reflecting testing variations on the same approximate calcium number. :)

ReefSTX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure exactly how much of what you are dosing and when, but the calcium values moving around between 420 and 460 may just be reflecting testing variations on the same approximate calcium number. :)

Thanks Randy :)

Yes, I think you are correct. I just did a Cal and Alk test this morning; Cal 420, ALk 8-9 (Mg 1380). I suppose what I am seeing is the range in which my reef consumes these elements?

I dose AquaForest components 1+2+3+, at 5ml each daily.

Mangelotta1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for a bit of insight. My alk is dropping and my Ca is rising. My understanding via Randy is I should dose more of both 2 part, AlK and Ca? I'd appreciate any input though. Thanks

U

User1

View Badges
That is what many folks see because of the math of the ratio of consumption and the accuracy/precision of our test kits.
Here's my comment from an article:

When Do Calcium and Alkalinity Demand Not Exactly Balance? by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-12/rhf/index.htm

Apparent Excess Demand for Alkalinity

One of the most common complaints of new aquarists is that their aquaria seem to need more alkalinity than their balanced additive system, such as limewater, is supplying. While there are reasons this may actually be the case over the long term (these will be detailed later in this article), frequently these aquarists are seeing a "chemical mirage" rather than a real excess demand for alkalinity.

One of the interesting features of seawater is that it contains a lot more calcium than alkalinity. By this I mean that if all of the calcium in seawater (420 ppm; 10.5 meq/L) were to be precipitated as calcium carbonate, it would consume 21 meq/L of alkalinity (nearly 10 times as much as is present in natural seawater). In a less drastic scenario, let's say that calcium carbonate is formed from aquarium water starting with an alkalinity of 3 meq/L that it is allowed to drop to 2 meq/L (a 33% drop). How much has the calcium declined? It is a surprise to many people to learn that the calcium would drop by only 20 ppm (5%). Consequently, many aquarists observe that their calcium levels are relatively stable (within their ability to reproducibly test it), but alkalinity can vary up and down substantially. This is exactly what would be expected, given that the aquarium already has such a large reservoir of calcium.

So the first "deviation" from the rule of calcium and alkalinity balance really isn't a deviation at all. If an aquarist is supplying a balanced additive to his aquarium, and calcium seems stable but alkalinity is declining, it may very well be that what is needed is more of the balanced additive, not just alkalinity. This scenario should be assumed as the most likely explanation for most aquarists who should look for more esoteric explanations for alkalinity decline only if calcium RISES substantially while alkalinity falls. Likewise, if alkalinity is rising and calcium seems stable when using a balanced calcium and alkalinity additive system, the most likely explanation is that too much of the additive system is being used.

The real imbalance effects described later in this article take effect slowly, and are manifested over weeks, months and years. This short term "chemical mirage" caused simply by the mathematics of calcium and alkalinity additions can be seen in a single addition. Any effect that develops rapidly over the course of a few days is almost certainly not a true imbalance.

The following scenarios show what can happen to a reef aquarium whose dosage with a balanced additive system does not match its demand. Table 1 shows what can happen when the dosing is inadequate. Alkalinity drops fairly rapidly. After two days, many aquarists might conclude that they need additional alkalinity, when in reality, they need more of both calcium and alkalinity to stabilize the system.

Table 2 shows what happens when too much of a balanced additive is added. After a few days, many aquarists would conclude that alkalinity is rising too much, but that calcium is fairly stable. Again, what is needed is less of the balanced additive, not just less alkalinity.

I know this thread is over a year old but this was the first thread that came up during a search outside the portal. I've been trying to understand why my Calcium is increasing while only adding Alkalinity. I've been prepping to add both using ESV 2 part but since I'm only seeing a decrease in Alk I started to dose 12 ml a day on my 210 gallon tank/upgrade. I actually started at 6 ml then increased it over a couple days to 12 ml to see if it changed and it hasn't. I only see my Calcium increasing.

In your example above and when compared to what I see - I am seeing the imbalance. I've manually dosed 20 ml of ESV 2 part Alk only and it raised my ALK to 8.1 (I'm trying to keep it around 8.5). I assumed dosing the Alk component only would increase it but so far all I see happening is my Calcium raising over 600 (assuming the trident is correct - it is when I test Alk manually).

I'm reading the entire article you posted again but since stopped the Alk dose to see if Calcium falls. Should I dose both parts in a low amounts instead and see what happens? The tank is doing well so do not want to over do anything. Rock is maturing as are the test corals I've added and the tank is 18 months into its upgrade.

1571063663441.png

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding just alkalinity does not make calcium rise. There may be many reasons for what you report, including testing errors, confusion of the dosing solutions and products, calcium additions in ways you do not realize (including tap water), water change/new salt water batch issues, etc.

U

User1

View Badges
Adding just alkalinity does not make calcium rise. There may be many reasons for what you report, including testing errors, confusion of the dosing solutions and products, calcium additions in ways you do not realize (including tap water), water change/new salt water batch issues, etc.

Thanks. Appreciate the confirmation. I also found a few threads with regards to the Trident and low reagents which mine are and a similar issue. Replacing those now and will run through the replacement task, priming, tests, then calibration.

It probably wouldn't hurt to have a manual kit around ( I have phosphate and ALK) but not one for Cal. Or I'll run out for a cup of coffee and hit the LFS and ask them to test for me.

Thanks again. Have a great day!

jaxredsoxfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Resurrecting an old thread, I am not sure if this is a Trident thing or something to be concerned about. It seems my Calc rises, and that has been happening for amonth or so, so I have adjusted dosing of 2 part BRS pharma (Trident controlled dosing with Neptune DOS). I decreased the dos of both sides of the 2 part but the CALC keep rising while the ALK is dropping. I turned off the CALC side of the DOS 2 days ago and it doesnt seem to be having much of an impact. Nothing was changed on the 24th or since. Am thinking this might be imbalance caused by not enough dosing of both ALK and CALC, as Randy suggests above. Would you guys recommend just bumping up both CALC and ALK with a CALC that is currently this high, or continue with increased ALK and CALC turned off. Thanks- tank is 18 month old with only 10 or so smaller corals/frags.
1606603571332.png

Back