0   0   0

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not necessary or required.

I would just try and keep each in a recommended range and not chase any specific number or ratio.
http://reef2reef.com/threads/optima...-reef-aquarium-by-randy-holmes-farley.173563/
Yeah, Do the math...
lol
Take your cal and x's it by 3 and you have your mag. Geeeezzzzzzzzz

If your mag is too low your cal and alk ions can bind together preventing your corals to intake the cal and alk ions and that's a simple basic class 101 fact :D

Do the math to Randy's charts in the linked article.
450 cal x's 3 = 1350 mag, it's that simple :)

Last edited:

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, Do the math...
lol
Take your cal and x's it by 3 and you have your mag. Geeeezzzzzzzzz

If your mag is too low your cal and alk ions can bind together preventing your corals to intake the cal and alk ions and that's a simple basic class 101 fact :D

Do the math to Randy's charts in the linked article.
450 cal x's 3 = 1350 mag, it's that simple :)

And what if I like to keep my calcium around 400? I'm sure you can do the math for me as its beyond my remedial skill levels.

Current107

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you testing with? If its a Hanna, might have a bad one. Mine went out of me and kept reading the SAME thing over and over. I tested 4 different tanks that I knew was different because I used different salts and the SAME reading. Got a Red Sea Pro... Tested and figured out I was WAY off. Caused myself to Alk burn all my SPS and set me back 6-8 months of growth.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And what if I like to keep my calcium around 400? I'm sure you can do the math for me as its beyond my remedial skill levels.
It's this simple, as long as your mag is 3 x more than your cal then your good to go.
If your at 1400 it's still good.

It's truly just that simple :)

Who needs a chart when you can just x's by 3?

polyps707

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't sleep

Revhtree, I had this problem with the brs recipe and could not get my primary elements to rise (cal & alk), I also increased dosage and started getting precipitation mostly around pumps and high flow areas of my sump which I thought at the time might be ok until I took apart some plumbing and I had ALOT of calcium build up! after taking apart all my plumbing and soaking in vinegar (thank god for union fittings) I knew something was not right! A friend, who services tanks, said they had an issue with a clients tank that was also dosing brs solutions and could not get them to raise, they checked there RODI water and it was acidic which I'm assuming (cause I'm NO Dr. Holmes) lowered alk. Anyways I've been adding sodium bicarbonate to my top off and it's been working! I tested my RODI and ph was 5.1 w/calibrated apex lab prob, TDS was 0. Dr. Holmes I don't know if your still following this thread but does this chemically make sense?
Ps. Revhtree thanks for this awesome site!

Cperkins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stabilize magnesium first to whee you want it. That has a lot to do with allowing the alkalinity and calcium to be utilized by the corals. If you are getting crusting it's because you are adding to much at a time. Needs to be dripped in. Also check your testing equipment. I would only buy salifert test kits.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well said :)

Actually, I don't agree at all. I think one should target the desirable range of magnesium (say, 1250-1400 ppm) independent of what the calcium level actually is.
There is no substantial reason that just because calcium might be on the high or low side to target a magnesium level that is high or low.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's this simple, as long as your mag is 3 x more than your cal then your good to go.
If your at 1400 it's still good.

It's truly just that simple :)

Who needs a chart when you can just x's by 3?

Because we try to be correct, not oversimplify. :(

if you want oversimplification, try the new to the hobby section.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was asking for @Revtree to share his system pH. (I actually understand Pondus hydrogenii)

lol OK. :)

You should have asked "What is the pH" :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back