All About Reef Safe Wrasses in Aquaria

Below, you will find sections about: these guidelines, wrasses which qualify as reef safe, the general requirements, feeding, shipping,...
By evolved, Aug 4, 2016 | |
  1. evolved

evolved The Wrasse Guy Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Expert Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member

Thank you.
    About 5 years ago, a good friend confidently told me "I can't wait to read your book someday". While that still is not on the radar, comments like these are flattering and somewhat encouraging.
    Thanks Daniel.

mdbannister and Eva Rose like this.
  2. Rsaalman

Rsaalman Dysfunctional Veteran

great writeup, I needed to get quickly educated.

I have a African Exquisite Fairy wrasse thats been in my 130 for a few months. Last week I picked up two Choati Leopards that are in QT. I just won a pair of Rhomboids that will ship in 3 weeks.

I looked on your chart but I can't seem to find where the M. Choati (Macropharyngodon) would fall in the mix of compatibility.

Again great writeup/

evolved likes this.
  3. evolved

evolved The Wrasse Guy Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Expert Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member

Thank you much.

The one chart I have is only in regardless to compatibility amongst Cirrhilabrus.

For the the choati, comparability is pretty universal, sans other male Macropharyngodon of other species. You're fine.

4. becks

becks Well-Known Member

Did my Halichoeres cosmetus (adorned wrasse) eat my cleaner shrimp? A few days after adding him my shrimp has gone AWOL. If so I'll have remove my wrasse as I like to have shrimp

5. eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast Fish Nerd R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Reef Squad Showcase Editor Expert Contributor

It is possible. It depends on the size of both the shrimp and the wrasse. Usually cosmetus wrasses are safe if the shrimp was in there first, but if the shrimp were small or had just molted, and the cosmetus were fairly large, it may have taken advantage of the situation.

evolved and becks like this.
  6. becks

becks Well-Known Member

Thanks, I'm not entirely sure because shortly after he disappeared I did start dosing hydrogen peroxide as per the cyno thread and although most people's shrimps were OK, one or two did experience a cleaner shrimp death. I did see some tenticles coming from a crevice inside a rock that were not moving, so there is a possibility it's the body of the shrimp.

7. evolved

It's also possible the shrimp molted, in which case you won't see it for a few days. But seeing the size of your cosmetus in another thread, I doubt he made a snack of it unless the shrimp was quite small.

8. FireEMT

FireEMT Well-Known Member

I am planning on purchasing 4 to 5 wrasse for my 130g tank. Right now I only have 3 tang, pair of clowns and a lawnmower blenny. I have looked at many different types of wrasse but I am looking for some help from a wrasse expert. What 4 to 5 wrasse should I purchase for my tank? Any advice would be much appreciated.

9. eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast Fish Nerd R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Reef Squad Showcase Editor Expert Contributor

Any of the flashers, most fairy wrasses, leopards, Pseudojuloides, Wetmorella, Pink streak wrasse, and the smaller species of Halichoeres wrasses.

The fairy wrasses I would avoid are; Scott's, whipfin, adornatus, and in many cases pylei.

10. FireEMT

FireEMT Well-Known Member

Awesome, thanks for the info. I have one other question, If I get one type of fairy wrasse should I not get another fairy wrasse even though they are a different type of fairy wrasse. I know its best to only get one of each and not try to pair.

11. eatbreakfast

The genus Cirrhilabrus can be broken down into groups or complexes of species. One species per complex generally works well.

12. evolved

13. becks

becks Well-Known Member

I'm thinking about buying a peacock wrasse or maybe two, will my Halichoeres cosmetus be ok with them? Both the peacocks are female and my cosmetus is transitioning into male, will this prevent one of the peacocks changing to male?

14. eatbreakfast

If you are referring to M. meleagris as peacock wrasse, then they should be ok with an H. cosmetus, though I would recommend a social acclimation box for introduction, as there may be some territoriality, though it's usually not too bad.

A male H. cosmetus will not stop either of the leopards from transitioning, though leopards are hit and miss whether they will transition in aquaria.

evolved and becks like this.
  15. becks

becks Well-Known Member

Ok thanks, I'll give it some thought the wrasses are about 1.5" long,

16. evolved

Agree (and I'm guessing you mean M. bipartitus when you say peacock wrasse, but that doesn't change the answer at all).
    It is important to note that nothing will guarantee one of the leopards transitions, presence of other wrasses or not.

17. Lord Chris

Lord Chris Well-Known Member

Reef safe yes. But mean. Killed 2 male clowns I intoduced so I hate 6 lines. But r beautiful

18. becks

becks Well-Known Member

I've been deciding for a long time what route to take my tank and Ive been undecided for a long time what to get next but this weekend I'm going to pick up a

Halichoeres chrysus and Macropharyngodon bipartitus hopefully my Halichoeres cosmetus plays nice.

19. evolved

Use an acclimation box, at least. :)

20. terri_ann

terri_ann Well-Known Member

Will 2 Melanarius be okay in 180g? Both are about the same size...both from different cellection sites/countries. TY in advance.