View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was quoted to me from an LED rep;

90w LED = 150-175w Metal Halide
120w LED = 250-300w Metal Halide
300w LED = 500-700w Metal Halide

What are the benefits of LED light fixtures?

Powerful LED Aquarium Light fixtures can replace Metal Halide Lamps and save you 50% or more on electricity bills.

LEDs have a lifespan of 50,000 hours with nearly no maintenance

You don’t need to replace the bulbs frequently like as you do with MH/Fluorescent.

No need for ballast as MH and fluorescent

LEDs are cool lighting that produces much less heat. LEDs are mounted onto a full sized heat sink with ½†fins , you don’t need to buy additional expensive cooling system.

LEDs light downwards directly with 120 degree wide beam angle allows uniform
coverage. There is no need to buy additional bulky reflectors like MH.

ECO-friendly: No mercury or any other harmful heavy metal or gases.

The system isn't quite as complicated as it seems. So having a big 1000 watt M/H light system with the t5/pc actinic supplements is still only 250 watts or 400 watts of light to any particular area. 120 watt unit pits out more light than a 250 halide plus has actinic bulbs built in and costs less than a t5 bulb to operate. They run virtually no heat and have no ballasts to catch on fire or replace.

At 8 hrs per day and .25/kw your 48" fixture costs your spending over 500 a year on that single fixture not counting the cost of bulbs. Some people spend .43/kw depending on household usage. And that's not counting supplemental actinic lighting or if you run a chiller then it all about doubles in usage. LED lighting saves you money on energy cost and lowers the cost of ownership. No more changing light bulbs. Unlike conventional aquarium lighting, LED lighting will give you consistent spectrum of light rather having it arc over time which reduces the amount of beneficial light your corals receive. LED lighting has been the next big thing for the reef hobby for quite some time. Initially everyone was hesitant to try it due to the lack of usage and information from people that have used LED lighting, successfully. That was not the only problem. As with any new technology, cost is quite high due to lower demand and higher cost of manufacturing. Now that more and more hobbyist are looking into LED lighting, mainly to lower their operating cost and some to help mother nature, but still, the cost of LED lighting, at least the Quality LED fixtures are still quite high and out of reach for most hobbyists.

Hope you got something out of all this

Last edited:

shelbyc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now why does your LED grow SPS like weeds and Redhanded has only minimal growth in his sump? Is it the type of LEDs or wattage?

Probably because AI's are known for there intensity for sps.
After some rearranging here are some updated pics as of may 5/2011 showing the growth:
shelbyc-albums-shelby-s-110-reef-picture15360-ftsmay5-2011.jpg
[/IMG]
shelbyc-albums-shelby-s-110-reef-picture15362-ftslookingright-may5-2011.jpg
[/IMG]
shelbyc-albums-shelby-s-110-reef-picture15365-right-side-may5-2011.jpg
[/IMG]
shelbyc-albums-shelby-s-110-reef-picture15366-leftside-may5-2011.jpg
[/IMG]
shelbyc-albums-shelby-s-110-reef-picture15367-rightside-closeup-may5-2011.jpg
[/IMG]

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh wow your tank is gorgeous!!!! I love it!

mapn4reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now why does your LED grow SPS like weeds and Redhanded has only minimal growth in his sump? Is it the type of LEDs or wattage?

Have to keep in mind all the other variables...could be any of them, water quality from source, water parameters, dosing, ph, fish & other critters in tank, feeding of corals, flow, location of corals in tank, dimensions of tank (depth mainly) etc. All variables would have to be exact to properly compared two tanks with LEDs.

dunning3075

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently run a 70 gallon tank with an Aquaticreeflections 150 watt 2 ft fixture that I am very impressed with. My tank is 25 inches deep and I am growing sps on the bottom of the tank. My softies,lps and clams seem to love it also. I am also building a 120 gallon 4x2x2 right now and should be getting my Aqua Illumination leds tomorrow. I love my leds and dont beleive I could ever go back to t5 or mh.

GR808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently run a 70 gallon tank with an Aquaticreeflections 150 watt 2 ft fixture that I am very impressed with. My tank is 25 inches deep and I am growing sps on the bottom of the tank. My softies,lps and clams seem to love it also. I am also building a 120 gallon 4x2x2 right now and should be getting my Aqua Illumination leds tomorrow. I love my leds and dont beleive I could ever go back to t5 or mh.

sounds like a great setup.. got pics?

BigAl07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is STUNNING!! WOW!!

You have an "Eye" for art and the ability to make that vision come to life in your tank. Job Well Done!! :)

Probably because AI's are known for there intensity for sps.
After some rearranging here are some updated pics as of may 5/2011 showing the growth:
shelbyc-albums-shelby-s-110-reef-picture15360-ftsmay5-2011.jpg
[/IMG]
shelbyc-albums-shelby-s-110-reef-picture15362-ftslookingright-may5-2011.jpg
[/IMG]
shelbyc-albums-shelby-s-110-reef-picture15365-right-side-may5-2011.jpg
[/IMG]
shelbyc-albums-shelby-s-110-reef-picture15366-leftside-may5-2011.jpg
[/IMG]
shelbyc-albums-shelby-s-110-reef-picture15367-rightside-closeup-may5-2011.jpg
[/IMG]

soutzee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi im new to reef tanks and i mounted a AIO 10g reef tank which i have oanthids mushrooms and some LPS i have for that tank two par 38 Led fixtures with24 watts in total. my questions here is; is it too much light fo it or not as there seems to be no rule with leds as to how many watts per gallon or what is the limit so i dont bleach them.
Thanks

MikeFoss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well for most of are reef club we all run Sun Brights.... They are fantastic I have super crazy growth with all my corals if I can figure out how to post pics I will show you :)

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running LED's for three years now. My first fixture was a 60LED DIY fixture over my 29 and then 65. I had such good growth and color I built a 168 emitter fixture for my 210 but my fish kept splashing water and corroding LED's out costing me too much money over nine months time. I switched to a prebuilt fixture but added a couple DIY stunner strips to get the color I wanted and also have more fun with four channels of dimming.

In My Experience, a combination of Royal Blue, Blue is a must along with a 4500K and Neutral white with a bit of red, green and a few UV's works well. I also keep my whites close to ( but a bit lower) to the same percentage as my blue's.

Last edited:

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there are plenty of reefers out here who've been running LED's for at least a couple of years now. Where are you all?!!

I also have been reading of many who are returning to MH/T5. Why?
How much of this is due to user error? Not knowing what % to use of each color.
Not acclimating right?

Please I would like some answers. I just bought a new LED unit for my new build. I would like to have the knowledge to run them properly :)

Sleeperr34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what i have seen and witnessed. Taking out crap taken care of tanks from friends i have helped come back. And just based on the lights i have noticed. ( and i cant stress this enough. This is an Internet forum. Everyone has their of ideas and thoughts. And this is just from what i have seen )

Radions are over priced crap. My LFS got some and kept bleaching all there sps corals. Leathers loved them though. Finally they changed out one system to vegas and a month later i come walking in and they had vegas on all 8 big coral systems.

I love AI products. Some things are a pain like the wireless controller that HAS to be plugged in to work. But on the part that matters the leds i love them.

Other part i feel it is how they r set to begin with. Most people seem to try and get the tank to look like it did when it had MH over it. What u have to remember is leds only let out the spec of the actual color of that led. So if u have a royal blue led it will only be shooting out the part of the spectrum that is royal blue. Why u see all the diff colors in the new systems not just white and blue now. And make ur % lvls match what the spectrum shows. It will not look like u expect but it will give the corals the right amount and kind of light to help them be healthier. And that is the most important part. If u want to make the tank look more like what u r used to then add a couple t-5 bulbs. But with all leds and matching the spectrum it is going to look very blue in color. My whites at max are only 30% and i just recently turned them up to that a week ago. They were 20% until now.

Sleeperr34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1399353511.080298.jpg

Just an example. And u have to think about amount of light. If u have a 4 bulb system. U prob run 1 of these. 2 attinics and 1 uv. So if u run ur whites higher then ur blues it doesn't make since if ur trying to match the spectrum

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 24 31.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 61 79.2%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.2%
Back