ALL LED ALL THE TIME! :) New Forum!

Discussion in 'LED Lighting Specific' started by revhtree, Nov 4, 2010.

1. danielbui23

danielbui23 Well-Known Member

This was quoted to me from an LED rep;

Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
  2. shelbyc

shelbyc Well-Known Member

Probably because AI's are known for there intensity for sps.
    After some rearranging here are some updated pics as of may 5/2011 showing the growth:
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

3. revhtree

revhtree Owner Administrator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Article Contributor Partner Member

Oh wow your tank is gorgeous!!!! I love it!

4. GR808

GR808 Well-Known Member

+1
    great rescapping.. I like the canyon look... super nice!!!

5. shelbyc

shelbyc Well-Known Member

Thankyou revhtree.

Thanks Gr808, thats the look I was going for, open and interesting.

6. mapn4reef

mapn4reef Well-Known Member

Have to keep in mind all the other variables...could be any of them, water quality from source, water parameters, dosing, ph, fish & other critters in tank, feeding of corals, flow, location of corals in tank, dimensions of tank (depth mainly) etc. All variables would have to be exact to properly compared two tanks with LEDs.

7. dunning3075

dunning3075 Member

I currently run a 70 gallon tank with an Aquaticreeflections 150 watt 2 ft fixture that I am very impressed with. My tank is 25 inches deep and I am growing sps on the bottom of the tank. My softies,lps and clams seem to love it also. I am also building a 120 gallon 4x2x2 right now and should be getting my Aqua Illumination leds tomorrow. I love my leds and dont beleive I could ever go back to t5 or mh.

8. GR808

GR808 Well-Known Member

sounds like a great setup.. got pics?

9. dunning3075

dunning3075 Member

not the bst of pics as I dont have a camera handy just my phone but its a pic anyway lol
    [​IMG]

10. mike_dani

mike_dani Well-Known Member

My DIY 300 Gallon LED

Here is a link back to my 300 gallon soon to be mixed reef with the DIY LED build.

11. BigAl07

BigAl07 Well-Known Member

Your tank is STUNNING!! WOW!!

You have an "Eye" for art and the ability to make that vision come to life in your tank. Job Well Done!! :)

12. soutzee

soutzee Well-Known Member

Hi im new to reef tanks and i mounted a AIO 10g reef tank which i have oanthids mushrooms and some LPS i have for that tank two par 38 Led fixtures with24 watts in total. my questions here is; is it too much light fo it or not as there seems to be no rule with leds as to how many watts per gallon or what is the limit so i dont bleach them.
    Thanks

13. greensun01

greensun01 unregistered

So cool!

14. MikeFoss

MikeFoss Member

Well for most of are reef club we all run Sun Brights.... They are fantastic I have super crazy growth with all my corals if I can figure out how to post pics I will show you :)

15. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

I'm moving to LED's who's with me? How long have you been running LED's? I think they've been around long enough for some updated reviews.

16. trido

trido Well-Known Member

I've been running LED's for three years now. My first fixture was a 60LED DIY fixture over my 29 and then 65. I had such good growth and color I built a 168 emitter fixture for my 210 but my fish kept splashing water and corroding LED's out costing me too much money over nine months time. I switched to a prebuilt fixture but added a couple DIY stunner strips to get the color I wanted and also have more fun with four channels of dimming.

In My Experience, a combination of Royal Blue, Blue is a must along with a 4500K and Neutral white with a bit of red, green and a few UV's works well. I also keep my whites close to ( but a bit lower) to the same percentage as my blue's.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  17. SantaMonica

SantaMonica Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsors Toys For Kids 2016

Good to have a LED special forum. I know very little about LEDs except how to grow algae with them :O

18. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

I know there are plenty of reefers out here who've been running LED's for at least a couple of years now. Where are you all?!!

I also have been reading of many who are returning to MH/T5. Why?
    How much of this is due to user error? Not knowing what % to use of each color.
    Not acclimating right?

Please I would like some answers. I just bought a new LED unit for my new build. I would like to have the knowledge to run them properly :)

19. Sleeperr34

Sleeperr34 Well-Known Member

From what i have seen and witnessed. Taking out crap taken care of tanks from friends i have helped come back. And just based on the lights i have noticed. ( and i cant stress this enough. This is an Internet forum. Everyone has their of ideas and thoughts. And this is just from what i have seen )

Radions are over priced crap. My LFS got some and kept bleaching all there sps corals. Leathers loved them though. Finally they changed out one system to vegas and a month later i come walking in and they had vegas on all 8 big coral systems.

I love AI products. Some things are a pain like the wireless controller that HAS to be plugged in to work. But on the part that matters the leds i love them.

Other part i feel it is how they r set to begin with. Most people seem to try and get the tank to look like it did when it had MH over it. What u have to remember is leds only let out the spec of the actual color of that led. So if u have a royal blue led it will only be shooting out the part of the spectrum that is royal blue. Why u see all the diff colors in the new systems not just white and blue now. And make ur % lvls match what the spectrum shows. It will not look like u expect but it will give the corals the right amount and kind of light to help them be healthier. And that is the most important part. If u want to make the tank look more like what u r used to then add a couple t-5 bulbs. But with all leds and matching the spectrum it is going to look very blue in color. My whites at max are only 30% and i just recently turned them up to that a week ago. They were 20% until now.

20. Sleeperr34

Sleeperr34 Well-Known Member

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1399353511.080298.jpg

Just an example. And u have to think about amount of light. If u have a 4 bulb system. U prob run 1 of these. 2 attinics and 1 uv. So if u run ur whites higher then ur blues it doesn't make since if ur trying to match the spectrum