ALL LED ALL THE TIME! :) New Forum!

Sleeperr34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea. But thats all in one system. The MH will bleed some light over to the other side. I'm talking keeping no light from the other source hitting the other. And that is a little on the extreme side. Most people that get leds do a 1-1 switch so i had 3 250mh over my 6ft tank i got 3 vegas. If i remeber right that tank is 8ft long 4ft is leds. And he has 12 over one half that tank. And that is one thing i do believe but dont have the money to drop to do. I feel leds will have no prob at all if its doubled up. So a 2ft x 2ft section that most have 1 radion or 1 vega/hydra over was 2 then the hot spots and low spots and miss spectrum would be solved. Another reason im interested in people that have the 120deg lens. Because that as well would help with that.

mbattles22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully this is the right place to ask this question. We need some LED advice. We have AI Vegas and our SPS is growing, but the color is not anywhere near what is should be. Any advice on settings for the blue/white/red/green. Thanks!

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully this is the right place to ask this question. We need some LED advice. We have AI Vegas and our SPS is growing, but the color is not anywhere near what is should be. Any advice on settings for the blue/white/red/green. Thanks!

The AIs are not the intensity of a 400 watt MH.

A 400 Watt MH produces more PAR than the SPS need. This causes the coral to produce pigments that reflect this extra light. Its what we want.

500 PAR towards the top to mid level tank depth is good provide proper acclimation.

Also Alk and Mag levels have been reported to affect SPS colour.

Bill

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the only true way to adjust LED so they are most efficient, is to do so by using a quality PAR, PUR and LUX meter. Otherwise if your like me, it's all trial and error :) Oh and it helps to know what corals need what. Something that isn't discussed much except by the SPS community :) Knowing the depth at which our corals reside in their natural habitat is paramount when it come to providing proper lighting.
What exactly are the differences between white light and blue light and how are they used? Isn't it the white lights that provides the "full spectrum" and if so what corals actually use it? Those closest to the waters surface?
Oh yeah I got plenty of questions too when it comes to LED's :)

jzaso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the only true way to adjust LED so they are most efficient, is to do so by using a quality PAR, PUR and LUX meter. Otherwise if your like me, it's all trial and error :) Oh and it helps to know what corals need what. Something that isn't discussed much except by the SPS community :) Knowing the depth at which our corals reside in their natural habitat is paramount when it come to providing proper lighting.
What exactly are the differences between white light and blue light and how are they used? Isn't it the white lights that provides the "full spectrum" and if so what corals actually use it? Those closest to the waters surface?
Oh yeah I got plenty of questions too when it comes to LED's :)
Pretty much sums up everything I was going to say!!

jzaso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody have D120 manually dimmable full "spectrum" or comparable china boxs could you post your channel intensity settings height above tank age ect,
I have two units on a standard 90g 11" above water 80%blue-55% white("full spectrum") at month five sps tank, 10hrs blue 8 hrs white-curious to see where everybody is at and how corals are reacting

saltynovice378

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking for help with additional lighting

Can anyone help me with a suggestion for additional lighting for my Red Sea 29 Gal? The T5's seem to work great but the blue LED's are not that strong and I find myself straining to see into my tank at night. I am not looking to remove the cover or mess with any rewiring. I was thinking of the TrueLumen LED strip for the Blue lighting? Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks!

I did a small LED build on a red sea max. Bought my kit from LED lights.

I bought the XRE blue's and the XPG whites.

I thought the kit worked really well. I had everything I needed. You just have to be carefull as I used the ELN 60 48 manually dimmable driver. This driver can driver too much current to the XR-E LED's If remember correctly they have a max of current rating of 1000ma and the driver puts out like 1300 mA . Basically you can overdriver the XR-E light and the XPGs can handle up to 1500 so you can run them at full power. All i can say is these suckers were extremely bright. I ended up running the blues around 750 mA and then adjusting the whites until I got the color I liked. It was about 700 mA as well. Only about 50% of the white rated output. Next time I would do 2 blues to 1 white. The xpg white are really intense.

I am currently using 2 reef brite LED strips on my 65g tank and they look great. They do get warm just fyi. But its just off the heatsink on the back of the light. Great color pop. That is the main reason I got them. We will see how they do for output.

I am really liking LED's but I still like having a couple T5's in the mix to fill in some of the colors missing from the LED white blue combo. Like the fiji purple for example. The color is great dont get me wrong. But if you can mix it up you get teh best of both worlds.

Mojo~

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone help me with a suggestion for additional lighting for my Red Sea 29 Gal? The T5's seem to work great but the blue LED's are not that strong and I find myself straining to see into my tank at night. I am not looking to remove the cover or mess with any rewiring. I was thinking of the TrueLumen LED strip for the Blue lighting? Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks!

The latest Cree XT-E and XP-E2 offer better performance.

Add this to the Mean Well LDD drivers and you have a great dimmable combination.

Adding a few Cree Photo Reds or Luxion Z (660nm) to a mix is an option.

I like the look of the fiji purple and adding some deep reds have worked for us.

Some of the strip lights work well but lack intensity.

Bill

the new guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a fluval marine & reef led light on my 55 gallon tank it works great but I'd like to try to have sps in my tank and don't think that it would have the ability to support them anyone have a suggestion for a good led set up that wouldn't break the bank preferably at or under $400

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be a number of factors. Intensity, distance from tank, color mix, Spectrum, and yes some leds are far superior to others.
Now why does your LED grow SPS like weeds and Redhanded has only minimal growth in his sump? Is it the type of LEDs or wattage?

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any Orphek Atlantik users out there? Any advice on custom programming? Just hung my new fixtures a couple days ago.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1434681752.593204.jpg

Orphek

Orphek- Aquarium LED lighting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great Jeff. Give me a call on Monday and I can help you to write a custom program that fits your work schedule.

Rsandry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Just bought a new system (Red Sea Reefer series - 350) and I was looking for recommendations on lighting. I want to go with LED's and I'm looking at the Kessils and the Radions... any advice???

Thx

jack5746

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what i have seen and witnessed. Taking out crap taken care of tanks from friends i have helped come back. And just based on the lights i have noticed. ( and i cant stress this enough. This is an Internet forum. Everyone has their of ideas and thoughts. And this is just from what i have seen )

Radions are over priced crap. My LFS got some and kept bleaching all there sps corals. Leathers loved them though. Finally they changed out one system to vegas and a month later i come walking in and they had vegas on all 8 big coral systems.

I love AI products. Some things are a pain like the wireless controller that HAS to be plugged in to work. But on the part that matters the leds i love them.

Other part i feel it is how they r set to begin with. Most people seem to try and get the tank to look like it did when it had MH over it. What u have to remember is leds only let out the spec of the actual color of that led. So if u have a royal blue led it will only be shooting out the part of the spectrum that is royal blue. Why u see all the diff colors in the new systems not just white and blue now. And make ur % lvls match what the spectrum shows. It will not look like u expect but it will give the corals the right amount and kind of light to help them be healthier. And that is the most important part. If u want to make the tank look more like what u r used to then add a couple t-5 bulbs. But with all leds and matching the spectrum it is going to look very blue in color. My whites at max are only 30% and i just recently turned them up to that a week ago. They were 20% until now.
I agree 100% AI was around before the radions and I chose AI way better price for units, upgradable, good customer care. I think most that buy radion think because it costs more it must be better, then i watch these indivuals then complain about how bad leds are. Having said that i do believe leds are diffucult to get setup. I am using 3 sol blues on a 400 gallon system not nearly enough coverage so i added 4 58 watt t5 2 atcinic and two fiji purple. I hope to add and upgrade to the hydra52 soon. The only coral i seem to have problems with is Elegances.

rubin88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so wood the ai prime be good for a depht of 21 to 24 inch or should i go for hydra 26 i did want to radions xr15 pro w but what you said maybe not ...

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 167 62.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 26.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 70 26.0%
Back