All you woodworkers out there

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I could have only one major tool the table saw would be it. You can do a heck of a lot with a decent table saw and jigs.

IMG_5507.JPG

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quite some time ago ;) in our trade wood shop class a good friend was making a grandfather clock. The instructor helped set up the table saw to cut beautiful crown molding with a large cove. The blade was set on an angle and the wood stock was pushed through on a 45 deg angle with a jig. Yes.... it is amazing what can be done with a table saw.

I like the old beat up look... and upcycling. I made a stand from some items I had laying around in the basement. The craftsmanship used in the old door was amazing.

IMG_0906.JPG

IMG_0905.JPG

IMG_0920.JPG

IMG_0938.JPG

IMG_1644.JPG

tank2.jpg

old door, old cabinet faces, old oak flooring, cedar 4x4 I also found an old bar table with a solid oak top on craigslist for 15.00. I understand the look isn't for everyone ;)
I think an elephant could stand on it.

Last edited:

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't try and make a plunge cut with a circular saw unless it is one specifically designed for it! VERY DANGEROUS!!!

Another thing you really do NEED but is often overlooked... proper workspace, sawhorses, clamps, a vise is a nice thing to have as well.

DON'T DO ANYTHING YOU FEEL UNSAFE OR UNCOMFORTABLE WITH!!!! Research safe techniques first!!! Fingers aren't like acro colonies, they don't grow back after you cut one off! :eek::D

Artists tend to like to make our own "rules" that we live by. I have a personal aversion to mechanical fasteners. Proper joinery/adhesive choice is key.
Furniture should last for hundreds of years if built correctly. (That would be excessive for a fish tank stand, but you get the depth of my sickness).

Nothing wrong with pocket screw joinery and titebond II.

Woodworking is a wonderful hobby, but it isn't inexpensive either! :)

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I learned woodworking with a radial arm saw. They're considered dangerous these days, and have fallen out of favor. They're honestly quite safe, if you pay attention to what you're doing! I note that older, good quality radial arm saws are widely available on Craigslist at very reasonable prices.

Someone mentioned blades... good, sharp blades, and the right kind of blade for the job, is critical for getting good results. A few specialty blades, starting with a stack dado, will improve your joining techniques, as well.

I'm waiting on this one...

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a personal aversion to mechanical fasteners. Proper joinery/adhesive choice is key.

Amen. Good joinery techniques take a bit of time and effort to learn, but it's way worth it. Bring on the tennons, dados, dovetails, and rabbits :)

jlanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woodworking is a great hobby to get into.
It's a hobby that can be started with relatively little investment and experience, but over time you collect more tools and knowledge to build more advanced pieces; just like this hobby.
As stated by others, the strength of a wood project relies on accurate cuts, tight joints and adequate use of glue.
Start with projects that you feel comfortable with. Simple projects allow you to get familiar with the tools and the materials. And if you make an error, it's much easier to fix or toss a small project than it is for a larger one.

Quite some time ago ;) in our trade wood shop class a good friend was making a grandfather clock. The instructor helped set up the table saw to cut beautiful crown molding with a large cove. The blade was set on an angle and the wood stock was pushed through on a 45 deg angle with a jig. Yes.... it is amazing what can be done with a table saw.

I used that method to create the coved corbels for my aquarium stand; which can be found here: Construction Phase 6 - Some of the Details
Since my aquarium stand build, I have employed this design element into other areas of my home, so I ended up purchasing an oversized moulding cutter to make the moulding for the corbels.

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes looks like same technique, the sight and smell on the large cove cut on that beautiful walnut is in my memory for life..
Nice build, cabinet and aquarium!

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I learned woodworking with a radial arm saw. They're considered dangerous these days, and have fallen out of favor. They're honestly quite safe, if you pay attention to what you're doing! I note that older, good quality radial arm saws are widely available on Craigslist at very reasonable prices.

Someone mentioned blades... good, sharp blades, and the right kind of blade for the job, is critical for getting good results. A few specialty blades, starting with a stack dado, will improve your joining techniques, as well.

I'm waiting on this one...

That's revolutionary!

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For opening cutouts, use a router and a guide.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back