Alright, so I did something really stupid....ugh

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was ready to add live sand to my aquarium. I am adding 80 lbs of Carib Sea Ocean Direct live sand. I read the directions, and against my better judgment, I added the sand directly to the tank. All the tank had in it at that time was saltwater. Well, my tank has been a milky mess for the last 12 hours. Apparently, there is some very find sediment in the product, and even though the directions say rinsing is not required, I probably should have.

It appears that the Reef Octopus is pulling out a lot of this stuff, so it may just be a waiting game until the tank turns over enough times for the skimmer to catch all the fines. These fines are so small, the stay suspended for hours and go right through standard filter pad.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can clear this up faster? I was thinking of going down to Lowe's to get a sediment filter and some cartridges, but I'm not sure that the sediment filter is fine enough to do any good.

I would prefer to not have to drain the tank and start over, but if I can't clear this up, that may be what I have to do.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When i set up my only tank with sand I put my xp3 filter in packed with micro filter pads and actually stirred the sand daily till there was no more dusk.
I figured it was an in tank sand washing :)

OP
OP
AllSignsPointToFish

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys for the replies. I was really freaking out there for a while. It looks like the skimmer is a beast at removing this stuff. I just cleaned the cup and the amount it has removed in an hours is amazing. I'm very glad I oversized my Reef Octopus! :)

Last edited:

WetWhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not worry unless it is a few days worth and doesn't get better. The fine particles will dissolve and add a little calcium to the water. You can use a micro filter pads like twilliard mentioned if it really bothers you that might help.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning a similar move in a week or so, I'm wondering if I shouldn't mix the water outside the tank - and add the sand first, then (and gently!) the salt water?

~B.

OP
OP
AllSignsPointToFish

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning a similar move in a week or so, I'm wondering if I shouldn't mix the water outside the tank - and add the sand first, then (and gently!) the salt water?

~B.
I think you're going to run into it no matter what you do unless you thoroughly rinse the sand first. The fines are crazy small, but the skimmer seems to be pretty good at catching them in the foam.

WetWhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fluval canister filter I hook up and add the polishing pads. I am sure you could pick some up and cut them to your needs if you don't have a canister filter. Even if you have a spot in your overflow like I do to lay down the pads this works.

WetWhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are welcome. Update in a few days if this doesn't fix the issue and we can keep troubleshooting.

@ Maritimer As for mixing the saltwater if it is a new setup without corals I heat the water up to temp and mix the salt in and let it sit for a few days with heater and powerheads. You can add your substrate in at this time. I find you can't really get the substrate that clean as the fresh water breaks down the substrate. So unless i see sticks or something else I don't wash if it is sand or oolite and if course I do a quick rinse. You can fill the tank up under half way and add the substrate and let it settle first as an option. Sometimes I mix the salt in a blue brute bin I have and add the substrate first. It really doesn't matter.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, WetWhistle!

The sand I've got coming in is CaribSea's "Ocean Direct", so I'm not sure how much exposure I want it to have with fresh water? Would rinsing with fresh wipe out the microfauna in the sand?

~Bruce

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will take close to a week or maybe more to clear up. This is very typical and nothing to worry about. Don't bother with a filter, just wait for it to settle out. Once the bacteria take hold it will all disappear overnight.

Brian Kim

Color My Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was ready to add live sand to my aquarium. I am adding 80 lbs of Carib Sea Ocean Direct live sand. I read the directions, and against my better judgment, I added the sand directly to the tank. All the tank had in it at that time was saltwater. Well, my tank has been a milky mess for the last 12 hours. Apparently, there is some very find sediment in the product, and even though the directions say rinsing is not required, I probably should have.

It appears that the Reef Octopus is pulling out a lot of this stuff, so it may just be a waiting game until the tank turns over enough times for the skimmer to catch all the fines. These fines are so small, the stay suspended for hours and go right through standard filter pad.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can clear this up faster? I was thinking of going down to Lowe's to get a sediment filter and some cartridges, but I'm not sure that the sediment filter is fine enough to do any good.

I would prefer to not have to drain the tank and start over, but if I can't clear this up, that may be what I have to do.
Carib Sea live sand comes with a little water clearing addictive inside the bag, it helps clear up the water faster. Hope you didn't throw it away lol

OP
OP
AllSignsPointToFish

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carib Sea live sand comes with a little water clearing addictive inside the bag, it helps clear up the water faster. Hope you didn't throw it away lol
I didn't throw it away :) I actually followed the directions and used it.

The update for today is that the water is MUCH clearer, and I'm in the process of adjusting the salinity to 1.026. The rocks go in today :)

Thank you all for your help! I really appreciate it!

pondman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just get some pillow stuffing its cheap and works good at clearing up cloudy tanks been using it for years

Back