Aluminum aquarium stand

new_orleans_guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering building an aluminum stand for a 120 gallon 24x48x24" aquarium. This will be a welded tubing stand 2x3" 1/4" wall tubing. Has anyone done this or know of anyone who has?

Hammerheadz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I find stick or mig welding a steel stand is a lot easier than welding aluminum. You going this route to try to make it lighter? What's the motivation to go this way?

OP
OP
new_orleans_guy

new_orleans_guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The weight isn't an issue. Aluminum won't rust and fares better in saltwater environment. I have both metals readily available.

Hammerheadz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds interesting. I've never welded an aluminum stand. I'm pretty familiar with steel sizes / guages and weight bearing ratings but not aluminum. How is the aluminum weight tolerances at that tube thickness? For a smaller tank I would say no problem but at 120 you'll definitely be over a thousand pounds. I'm interested in seeing your results.

OP
OP
new_orleans_guy

new_orleans_guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spoke with the engineer at work he did the figures on it and said i should be fine with 2x2" tubing with 1/4" wall thickness. I am going to use 2x3" 1/4"wall. Will be tig welded.

Hammerheadz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spoke with the engineer at work he did the figures on it and said i should be fine with 2x2" tubing with 1/4" wall thickness. I am going to use 2x3" 1/4"wall. Will be tig welded.

Well that's all the thumbs up you need right there. I hope you go forward with this. Would love to see that build.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I would just do 80/20 stand if you want Aluminum stand. Getting someone to weld aluminum will be difficult as many welders don't have a lot experience doing it. An they will charge more to do it as it is a special set up to weld aluminum. I know we have the set up here at work and only one of my co workers does it. 80/20 would cost money but you could put it together your self. with an allen wrench.

Mo-sachi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any new updates? I am thinking of using quick frame for my 110G and possibly for my 220G acrylic. Trying to weigh my options and research this stuff. Thanks.

OP
OP
new_orleans_guy

new_orleans_guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still waiting to get final info on tank. I will build stand once i have aquarium.

kalare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure it's braced properly. You're going to have more than 4 legs yes? I'm hoping the aluminum stand will be constructed of a ring on the floor and a ring supporting the tank that is then supported by at least 6 posts down the ring on the floor? Assuming it's a typical 120, I wouldn't span a 2x2 aluminum member maybe more than 2ft, 3ft at max, though I haven't done the calculations. Don't mean to be negative, just want to make sure you don't have a failure...I'm a structural engineer and deal in aluminum as well...make sure the engineer calculated using the correct temper and grade, and they vary quite a bit.

Good Luck!

OP
OP
new_orleans_guy

new_orleans_guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20161122_143208.jpg

20161122_143208.jpg

OP
OP
new_orleans_guy

new_orleans_guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up going with a 3x3x1/4" tubing. The choice for materials was made by what we had available in drop pieces from another project.

Back