Aluminum aquarium stand

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it's not anodized.
ok. I'm not knocking the idea...cause it should hold up just fine, and be a lot easier to move than steel...and never rust. ALuminum oxidation is nowhere near as messy as steel rusting. ...and steel rusting and the crusty stuff falling into the water isn't a good thing.

Besides that...you probably got the aluminum free. :)

OP
OP
new_orleans_guy

new_orleans_guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been working with aluminum for nearly 30 years. Most if which in the marine industry , Comercial boats and passenger ferries. I have seen what boats look like after 40+ years in service some with great up keep , others on the opposite side of the spectrum. With a little care and cleaning this can last a lifetime directly exposed.

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you seen the saltwater harder on weld metal or base metal? Does the aluminum get to a point that the oxidation protects it from further corrosion, or does it just slow corrosion? I've been in metal working for many years, but most of the saltwater applications I did were shipped out and I never saw them again. A lot of the saltwater applications I did were copper nickel, monel, Inconel, etc.

OP
OP
new_orleans_guy

new_orleans_guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In cases on poor or no care the metal will get almost impregnated with oxidation and other contaminants. This would be similar to rust scaling. But in cases where it is cleaned it will oxidize in areas where dampness collects but nothing really bad comes of it. The metals you mentioned would be used in the plumbing for seawater on the vessels. Aluminum would not hold up with seawater flowing through it, electrolysis would eat through aluminum piping in a few months faster in heavy flow application.

OP
OP
new_orleans_guy

new_orleans_guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made some progress. Still slow but its moving.
20170101_145655.jpg
20170117_193735.jpg
20170117_193745.jpg

mightieskeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice job wrapping it. It would have looked very cool to use aluminum panels to cover your frame that could be polished.

OP
OP
new_orleans_guy

new_orleans_guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be cool, but would not go well in the room and wife would not approve.

OP
OP
new_orleans_guy

new_orleans_guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still have a lot of work to do but it feels good seeing progress even if itnis minimal.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice!

Back