An Easy Way to Increase Your Tank's pH with a CO2 Scrubber

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (DIY)' started by CJO, Mar 9, 2011.

1. jason2459

jason2459 Not a paid scientist R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

Well, to be clear CO2 has everything to do with pH. There was just something that interfered with allowing the CO2 scrubber you used from removing enough CO2 from your tank for you to notice a difference. Do you have a lot of surface agitation? CO2 in your house could be extremely high. You can do an aerating cup pH test with it in your house for at least 15 minutes. And then take outside for at least 15 minutes.

I'm not very familiar with Ca reactors as I've never needed to use one but couldn't they also potentially drive down pH?

How fast did the Sodalime change colors to purple? You should easily start seeing a change at the bottom in a couple hours. My BRS reactor full of sodalime lasts a few days to a week depending on how much air flow I dial it in to.

2. neuwave

neuwave Well-Known Member

Jason is correct that CO2 directly impacts your ph. From the looks of it your not having enough air contact time with the media. Especially with that high of a air flow between 650 to 900 lph. Since we don't know what level of co2 is present in your house we have to estimate. The speed of the air flowing over your media and contact time the air has with the media. I would have suggested with your setup to use two canisters piped in parallel. Allowing for more contact time.

Here is an example setup.

[​IMG]

Connection of canisters:
    [​IMG]

3. jepuskar

jepuskar New Member

I am currently running a CO2 scrubber from BRS, single canister, using it inline with my airline ran from the inside. Gives me another .1 - .15 increase in PH so I run 8.2 with a CO2 level of 1000ppm in the house...not to bad.
    The OP mention AirGas...I just called my local Airgas store and they had no idea what I was talking about. Where do you guys get yours? The 1 canister lasted a week, even with ~300ppm Co2 running through it. I do run my skimmer 24/7, so I'm looking to source this cheaper.

Thanks,

frenchie01 likes this.
  4. Aceone

Aceone Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

I get the 3lbs bags at shopmedvet.com at $8.95. I usually get 6 and last about 3-4 months. Anywhere cheaper please let me know LOL

5. jason2459

6. jason2459

7. neuwave

neuwave Well-Known Member

That's a pretty good price. Roughly w/shipping that's $2.62 a pound. As long the 5 gallon totals 37lbs of media. Air as has told me a couple years ago they were no longer selling the sodalime and selling off their remaining stock. Wish they didn't because once I get was able to haggle the price down to $60 for a 5 gallon bucket (37lbs). They never had a solid set price. Sometimes you can find eBay sale for 32lbs with free shipping which comes out to $2.50 a lb.

8. Trizzino

Trizzino Active Member

I will be converting my extra TLF phosban reactor into a co2 reactor after reading through this thread. I'm interested to see how it goes!

9. Ponraj A

Ponraj A Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    I was running and CO2 scrubber in my phosban reactor and now the problem is I have changed my skimmer from SRO 3000 to Skimz SN163 only due to the DC motor purpose. Now I dont know how to connect it to the air intake as it has a screw in the top. Anyone having any suggestion on how to connect it with the CO2 scrubber or shall i connect the motor air intake directly to the CO2 scrubber. Please help.
    Skimz SM-163.jpg

10. Aceone

Aceone Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

Just take the screw out and attach the hose of the scrubber to it.

Ponraj A likes this.
  11. Rick Mathew

Rick Mathew Well-Known Member

12. randyBRS

randyBRS Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsors

Alternatively, you can remove the silencer entirely and run the air line directly to the scrubber. The scrubber is a pretty effective silencer itself. Plus, if you throw a ball valve somewhere on the line it will be just as adjustable as the throttle screw on the silencer :)

gettaReef and Ponraj A like this.
  13. Ponraj A

Hi Thank you for the suggestion, I will install it in this ways as it looks much better.

14. Ponraj A

Thank you for your suggestion and support.