Anemones

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My turn to jump in on this one.

There are colorful anemones in the ocean growing under the sun. If you look at the wysiwyg section on coral exporters weekly lists there are rainbows, lemon drop types et cetra. Even just ordering "normal" red bubble tips they come in red and and bi-color/rainbow. No one is sitting in Indonesia "color morphing" thousand of anemones before transhipping them to distributors across the world.

Now I do agree that anemones can morph colors a bit in our captive systems. I've been lucky enough to have gotten a couple that have turned out to be pretty nice that weren't that nice when I originally bought them. It's the same with coral as well or really anything containing zooxanthellae and pigments.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

randy4083

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 30 gallons for right now in the way of a reef tank and I only have 3 corals a small hammer coral and a frogspawn and a Zena and 2 designer clownfish and that's all that's in there but I also have a 55 gallon tank that I can put corals in because I have live rock in there and my 30 gallon has been running for around a year and the 55 gallon has been running for atleast 2 year's and I have a Kessel 360we light on the 30 gallon tank and I run it upto 45 percent color and intensity but I don't really know if the light is to strong or not bright enough at the intensity it is set at but I started with the 30 gallon first for the reef tank to try it out but I also am getting ready to start a 120 gallon tank that I already have

OP
OP
R

randy4083

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the corals are all frags that are growing and happy it seems

OP
OP
R

randy4083

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It says online that if your tank has been running for atleast 6 months it is ready for anemones

OP
OP
R

randy4083

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I have the small gyre pump in the tank but I turned that off because I think that it was to much flow in the tank with that and I want to get a smaller pump for the tank what would be a good pump for this size tank for an anemone and corals that need moderate flow because I think that the gyre that I have is to strong wouldn't you think

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My turn to jump in on this one.

There are colorful anemones in the ocean growing under the sun. If you look at the wysiwyg section on coral exporters weekly lists there are rainbows, lemon drop types et cetra. Even just ordering "normal" red bubble tips they come in red and and bi-color/rainbow. No one is sitting in Indonesia "color morphing" thousand of anemones before transhipping them to distributors across the world.

Now I do agree that anemones can morph colors a bit in our captive systems. I've been lucky enough to have gotten a couple that have turned out to be pretty nice that weren't that nice when I originally bought them. It's the same with coral as well or really anything containing zooxanthellae and pigments.

This is 100% true, but what I was saying is the stories behind a lot of our crazy nems were due to them getting brighter in captivity.

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I'm saying the same thing, only adding that our light spectrum we use in our tanks make bland anemones not so bland. A brown in the wild = a pink in the tank type of situation.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, I apologize I may have read your original message the wrong way. I work with boxes and boxes of maricultured coral every week and it happens often.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back