Anirban's Aquaforest journey

hotnickz07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep all AF additives in my refrigerator. NPpro, probios, ABEV and kalium :). Always have.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep all AF additives in my refrigerator. NPpro, probios, ABEV and kalium :). Always have.
Yes I am going back to that method. What the heck I had to try an experiment.

OP
OP
Anirban

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am back.....:p

I did changed my water last week after 2 months. There was no ill effect on the system over this 2 month long period.

Week 8 (before water change):
  • Salinity-1.025
  • Temp: maintained at 77 degree
  • pH: runs between 7.9-8.2
  • Alkalinity: dKH 7.9 (Hanna)
  • Calcium: 450 (salifert)
  • Magnesium: 1335 (salifert)
  • Nitrate: 4 ppm (red sea)
  • Phosphate: 0 (hanna)
  • Potassium: 370 ppm (salifert)
  • Iodine is in range.
After water change

Week 1 :
  • Salinity-1.025
  • Temp: maintained at 77 degree
  • pH: runs between 7.9-8.2
  • Alkalinity: dKH 8.2 (Hanna) ( I am wondering why this went up since the cold weather settled in)
  • Calcium: 430 (salifert)
  • Magnesium: 1290 (salifert)
  • Nitrate: 2 ppm (red sea)
  • Phosphate: 0 (hanna)
  • Potassium: 380 ppm (salifert)
  • Iodine is in range.
I will be off for almost a month starting next week an trying to pull all thing together. I currently have a GHL doser which is dosing component 123 and the 4th one NP PRO. I have another DP4 which I will use to dose Potassium, Koral colour and Acropower. I put my APEX feeder and I got one battery powered air pump (in case something goes wrong). Now need to make a lot of water for ATO and emergency water change.

OP
OP
Anirban

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I also played a bit with my rock work as I had a feeling that they were blocking the flow in the tank. So I modified them a bit. Also I added one fancy structure for my high end SPS mounting.

20161127_134549_001_zps1tiewvek.jpg

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good, I just did a water change after 3 weeks and going to try the vibrant to rid the red slim starting tomorrow.

OP
OP
Anirban

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking good, I just did a water change after 3 weeks and going to try the vibrant to rid the red slim starting tomorrow.
Thanks, I found Vibrant works in a unique way. Like I used to have only cyano nothing else. I treated with their twice a week treatment. After first dose I saw within next 48 hours the red colour almost went away and it became darker blackish in colours. After that I continued to dose it for next 2 weeks and it was disappearing after every treatment. During this time I also observed that my glass is not requiring regular cleaning like I used to do. Finally after 3 weeks I cleaned the tank floor by scrubbing it and the cyano just disappeared. But I have feeling if someone have different variety of algae it generally works on single species at a time. Now I decided to keep dosing it once a week and half the recommended dose. I really hope it works for you too.....:)

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also played a bit with my rock work as I had a feeling that they were blocking the flow in the tank. So I modified them a bit. Also I added one fancy structure for my high end SPS mounting.

20161127_134549_001_zps1tiewvek.jpg
Nice!!! ... Love that rockscape!!! Are those my plugs up there?!?!?;)

OP
OP
Anirban

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice!!! ... Love that rockscape!!! Are those my plugs up there?!?!?;)
If you want some of those I can send some of them..but they are generally hardy and non fancy ones....or some are totally new which I am trying to colour up. You should keep an eye on the new structure because thats where every new and showpieces will go.....

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want some of those I can send some of them..but they are generally hardy and non fancy ones....or some are totally new which I am trying to colour up. You should keep an eye on the new structure because thats where every new and showpieces will go.....
Ohhhhhhhhhhh not only will I be keeping an eye out but will be stalking!!!;):p

OP
OP
Anirban

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ohhhhhhhhhhh not only will I be keeping an eye out but will be stalking!!!;):p
lol now I have a stalker...yeah that structure already holding SC orange passion, TCK Pikach, thunderbolt, RR Vinh, JF Flame, JKR rainbow milli. I will add my recent RR Prime and all the WWC cyber sale goodies?:p

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two questions for you... are you dosing the NP Pro to keep your nitrates up? And 2 did I just read correctly you have frags your trying to unload? As you may have read in the AF tank thread I was having some issues. I will be needing to start my SPS collection again soon.

OP
OP
Anirban

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Two questions for you... are you dosing the NP Pro to keep your nitrates up? And 2 did I just read correctly you have frags your trying to unload? As you may have read in the AF tank thread I was having some issues. I will be needing to start my SPS collection again soon.

Hey, I have no idea why should and how dosing NP PRO will help keeping nitrate up???:confused:
You read correctly but not fully......I do have some SPS which I can frag but they are just basic nothing fancy. my fancy ones are currently too small to frag. They are encrusted but not full grown colonies...

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I have no idea why should and how dosing NP PRO will help keeping nitrate up???:confused:
You read correctly but not fully......I do have some SPS which I can frag but they are just basic nothing fancy. my fancy ones are currently too small to frag. They are encrusted but not full grown colonies...

Yeah I actually read the NP Pro description on the AF web site tonight. Trying to figure out how to drive my nitrates up. It says it's a polymer to increase bacterial growth to consume nitrates. So that is very confusing. I will pm you when I have everything figured out for some sticks.

OP
OP
Anirban

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah I actually read the NP Pro description on the AF web site tonight. Trying to figure out how to drive my nitrates up. It says it's a polymer to increase bacterial growth to consume nitrates. So that is very confusing. I will pm you when I have everything figured out for some sticks.
What confuses you friend? Its a biopolymer which is food source for bacteria. The bacteria will then use up the nitrate and phosphate. Its simple.:)

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What confuses you friend? Its a biopolymer which is food source for bacteria. The bacteria will then use up the nitrate and phosphate. Its simple.:)

I wasn't confused until I read something in this last page of posts that confused me. Now I can't find it. Hmmm must be exhaustion from being up all night with the baby.[emoji53]

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I found Vibrant works in a unique way. Like I used to have only cyano nothing else. I treated with their twice a week treatment. After first dose I saw within next 48 hours the red colour almost went away and it became darker blackish in colours. After that I continued to dose it for next 2 weeks and it was disappearing after every treatment. During this time I also observed that my glass is not requiring regular cleaning like I used to do. Finally after 3 weeks I cleaned the tank floor by scrubbing it and the cyano just disappeared. But I have feeling if someone have different variety of algae it generally works on single species at a time. Now I decided to keep dosing it once a week and half the recommended dose. I really hope it works for you too.....:)

Thank you for the input, I have the red cayno only also. I am also hoping the will rid my issue for good with the virbrant. I am dosing 1+2+3+ Pro Bio S, Gfo in a reactor and thinking for dropping some Zoevit into my sump tray until life bio fil is available. I went of line with my bio pellets on the 11/21/16 and looking to use the Media/Zoevit to keep the nitrates in line. I use lanthanum chloride base product to get my Po4's down and that worked well and with the GFO I am at .02 steady for the past two weeks.

OP
OP
Anirban

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you for the input, I have the red cayno only also. I am also hoping the will rid my issue for good with the virbrant. I am dosing 1+2+3+ Pro Bio S, Gfo in a reactor and thinking for dropping some Zoevit into my sump tray until life bio fil is available. I went of line with my bio pellets on the 11/21/16 and looking to use the Media/Zoevit to keep the nitrates in line. I use lanthanum chloride base product to get my Po4's down and that worked well and with the GFO I am at .02 steady for the past two weeks.
Biopellet never helped me actually it always complicated my issues. I run zeolite and it seems to work well since my zeovit days. I think AF has some issues with Bio fil as its taking forever to launch them but who cares. 1 litre of siporax combined with zeolite and live rock is enough for bacteria. May be I will add 1 more litre once I come back from holidays. The issue is if we put more bacteria they will take down the nutrient more so very less available nutrient which I don't like. I will suggest when you dose the vibrant try to cut back the Pro bio S to half as they both work in similar way and together they can reduce the nutrient quite fast. I always wonder why you have such a high PO4 and NO3 issues all the time.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biopellet never helped me actually it always complicated my issues. I run zeolite and it seems to work well since my zeovit days. I think AF has some issues with Bio fil as its taking forever to launch them but who cares. 1 litre of siporax combined with zeolite and live rock is enough for bacteria. May be I will add 1 more litre once I come back from holidays. The issue is if we put more bacteria they will take down the nutrient more so very less available nutrient which I don't like. I will suggest when you dose the vibrant try to cut back the Pro bio S to half as they both work in similar way and together they can reduce the nutrient quite fast. I always wonder why you have such a high PO4 and NO3 issues all the time.

I am not running a ULNS and I am looking for the right balence.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Anirban

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am not running a ULNS and I am looking for the right balence. Thank bio pellets for for about 3 months then the negative effects started taking effect.

Me too...I don't like the pastel looking corals and I think they too dont like it much.....;)

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 146 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%
Back