Another conversation about how to chemically reduce nitrates.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What ways do you guys use to chemically reduce nitrates? Why do you prefer your method? I'm thinking specifically about filter media (like biopellets), but I guess vodka dosing would enter here too. I know refugiums work too, but let's keep this to a discussion of chemical methods.

steventaylor702

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use purigen it work pretty well at keeping things under control and you don't have to have a media reactor for it witch is great

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like purigen. I didn't think it would help with nitrate reduction per se, but I know it's an excellent filtration product for removing other things.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still use Vodka in my system today. Been at it for a couple years now. I like it because I keep the nitrates where I want them, and just by upping the doseage or lowering it a bit, I can get them to move in one weeks time frame with no ill affects to the system.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not started to use anything, but I have a bluefin reactor hooked into my manifold and pellets on standby. I really like the concept behind removing nitrate this way because it gives you control. I also like the fact that our systems can be pushed farther than the natural limits with livestock. Another positive is that with using a carbon method it will provide some food for corals. I would like to hear from those with sulphur denitrification experience.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Following!

Eric B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a thread on RC (Search for DIY Natureef Style Denitrator if you want to read about it) but it uses Methanol in a scratch built tank and it's working great for those guys and looks very interesting once set up and established with bacteria. Might have to give that one a shot!

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a thread on RC (Search for DIY Natureef Style Denitrator if you want to read about it) but it uses Methanol in a scratch built tank and it's working great for those guys and looks very interesting once set up and established with bacteria. Might have to give that one a shot!

I'm not really interested in using one at the moment. I am interested in learning the specifics on how it works though.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vodka user here. I love it. Setup with drew's doser pump and a timer. Set it once and been going great for 6mo. Nice and cheap and I have not had any side effects, like cyano, from dosing. I have no plans to stop using it and any non-nano tank I have going forward will use it. I tried a floating scrubber before this and it really messed up my tank. I was ready to give up before I starting with the vodka, now have good SPS and LPS growth and no problem algae, finally. I do have chaeto in the sump as well, doesn't grow fast, but it does a little. One bad thing, I do think it promotes brown jelly infection in LPS if they get damaged.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just regular old vodka from the liquor store.? And that reduces nitrates? Why not just do a water change?

This is stuff that we use in addition to other husbandry (water changes, correct feeding, etc.). It's all about different ways of reaching the same goal. ;)

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, cheap regular vodka. Non-flavored though.

Vodka Dosing by 'Genetics' and 'Stony_Corals' - Reefkeeping.com

Not only does it reduce nitrates (and phosphates but not as well), but you can keep them at undetectable levels. As for why not just do water changes, well if you have existing problems like algae issues there is a good deal of nitrates and phosphates "locked" in the algae that will be released as it dies, it can be reabsorbed by more algae before you can even detect it on a test kit, let alone remove it via waterchange so it can be hard to really eliminate some issues even if your water is "clean".

The reason most people carbon dose (and I think vodka or vinegar is the best) is because you can keep nitrate levels undetectable despite having a very large bioload and feeding the fish and corals quite a lot. I prefer to think of it as just feeding bacteria.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Vodka user here. I love it. Setup with drew's doser pump and a timer. Set it once and been going great for 6mo. Nice and cheap and I have not had any side effects, like cyano, from dosing. I have no plans to stop using it and any non-nano tank I have going forward will use it. I tried a floating scrubber before this and it really messed up my tank. I was ready to give up before I starting with the vodka, now have good SPS and LPS growth and no problem algae, finally. I do have chaeto in the sump as well, doesn't grow fast, but it does a little. One bad thing, I do think it promotes brown jelly infection in LPS if they get damaged.

Good info. I've done vodka dosing before. I found it to be inexpensive and effective. Right now I'm trying nualgi out. I like the idea of vodka dosing with a dosing pump. I may do that at some point. :)

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently using biopellets and prefer them over other bacteria food (vodka, vinegar, etc) in that the bacteria is within the reactor (were the food stays) versus dosing the food (vodka, vinegar, etc) to the water column, which will end up feeding other bacteria and algae, that is not wanted.

I am seriously looking at the NatuReef and trying to find out information about how it works. Their website is useless and I've found out more information on the RC site then on the NaturReef. I still need to understand how it works, especially the phosphate side of export.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's one major plus about pellets over liquid dosing.... Phosphate removal.

I'm going to the phosphate thread to post now...

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's one major plus about pellets over liquid dosing.... Phosphate removal.

I'm going to the phosphate thread to post now...

??? The liquid bacterial foods (vodka, vinegar, etc) also remove phosphates....Redfield ratio. The difference to biopellets is that the "food" is limited to the bacteria. The liquid foods feed everything...good and bad.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was not aware that the liquid methods removed much phosphate. I was under the impression pellets removed more.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So let me ask this.... Say I am using pellets, and I'm having phosphate issues. Could I then dose sodium nitrate to kick it into overdrive and remove even more phosphate?

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first recommendation would be to first run pellets for at least three to four months. If you are still seeing phosphate with no nitrates, I would suggest running GFO to remove the excess phosphates. Continue testings until these excess phosphates are gone and then stop the GFO.

With this particular scenario you most likely have excess phosphates coming from leaching rock or from outside sources (water source). Standard feeding and pooh should be giving you the Redfield levels of phosphates/nitrates which will be readily "consumed" by biopellets.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good stuff to know fish, I appreciate it! I plan to go online with my pellet reactor in a month.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 60.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • Other

Votes: 66 27.4%

Back