Another conversation about how to chemically reduce nitrates.

ChristopherKriens

Unknown Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The link does snot help by itself. Could you elaborate what you think is relevant about that or how that applies?

Are you saying nature is not a perfect subject to model? I'm not sure what your point is, but I was a Phil. minor once, so I'll bite. :)

-Matt

The argument you're making against carbon dosing above I think falls into this category and would be a fallacy. A filtration mechanism's existence or non existence in nature alone plays no role in whether or not it ought to be used in our systems.

Thanks for the input, I do appreciate a skeptic to keep everyone honest

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A skeptic among believers...lol.

Keep in mind that reefkeeping was dominated by believers using the "hi tech" approach in the USA until the skeptics (Berliners) modeled nature more closely and gave us the Berlin Method.

Smart scientists and engineers model nature all the time, BTW...very wise strategy that generates superior, more sustainable results. Basically the opposite is true for less nature-inspired solutions.

Look at something like weed or pest control for some obvious examples. Human brains come up with crap like DDT. Wonderful outcomes - but nobody wanted to talk side-effects until it was too late. There are dozens of examples like this. By contrast, by modeling nature we come up with solutions like BTi, beneficial nematodes, etc.

-Matt

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back