OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here's a few new shots of the Bartlett's.

02-05-2011Anthias8.jpg

02-05-2011Anthias6.jpg

02-05-2011Anthias5.jpg

Saldarya

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alright Marvin, share what lens and settings you are using for those pics!!! You are going to make me work on picture taking tomorrow!!

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alright Marvin, share what lens and settings you are using for those pics!!! You are going to make me work on picture taking tomorrow!!
all auto. Canon T2i w/ Canon 100mm f2.8 macro. good luck tomorrow. :)

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's been a while. I'm sure someone took home an anthias or two in the past month. ;)

PR_Reefers

Reefer 4 Life!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lyretails have to be by far the easiest!! they will readily accept many kinds of food!! I have kept 5 in my 46g for over 8mo... the male harasses the females quite a bit but usually he just chases em off to a cave!! I recently added two Sunburst Anthias... these are very cool!! I've noticed they have a preference for smaller food particles such as cyclops rather than mysis, like my lyretail's!
62d91f24.jpg

DSCF0668.jpg

DSCF0664.jpg

Reef UP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a6cd0ae4-4d92-3f81.jpg
a6cd0ae4-4daf-79c4.jpg

Here is my male squareback was 1 of four females now he's the male and I have 3 females, I also have two squamipini females one is in the process of changing
I use to have a ton of anthias that included,
6 fathead, 12 lyertail, 3 borbs, 10 bartlets, 3 male squarbacks, 10 females, and 6 ventrelis( found they did better in a group of other anthias)
I had a tank crash two years ago and my anthias were the only fishes that died :( but im slowly getting my collection back up! ;)

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flash shots. ;)

Bartlett's -- Male 1
03-14-2011Anthias2.jpg

Bartlett's -- Male 2
03-14-2011Anthias1a.jpg

Bartlett's -- Female 1
03-14-2011Anthias3.jpg

Lyretail -- Male
03-14-2011Lyretail.jpg

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting to have a bad experience with Bartlett's now. I started with 3 in early May of last year, with 2 females, one changing. Within 3 months, all changed to male. While they spared a little, they tolerated each other alright. Within a few months each ended up with his own third of the tank. About 2 months ago, the "dominant" male (who claimed the center of the tank) started picking on the male who took the left side of the tank. The left side male starting hiding more, eating less, and withered away. Well, now the alpha male is feeling more alpha and is starting to do this to the right side male. Ugh. I doubt the right side male makes it another week.

I don't have any "big" fish in the tank, as mentioned earlier in the this thread, so maybe I'm seeing these effects. Regardless, I won't put more Bartlett's back into this tank. Maybe another Anthia, but not them.

The Bartlett's can be a bit aggressive towards my fairy wrasses at times too.

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting to have a bad experience with Bartlett's now. I started with 3 in early May of last year, with 2 females, one changing. Within 3 months, all changed to male. While they spared a little, they tolerated each other alright. Within a few months each ended up with his own third of the tank. About 2 months ago, the "dominant" male (who claimed the center of the tank) started picking on the male who took the left side of the tank. The left side male starting hiding more, eating less, and withered away. Well, now the alpha male is feeling more alpha and is starting to do this to the right side male. Ugh. I doubt the right side male makes it another week.

I don't have any "big" fish in the tank, as mentioned earlier in the this thread, so maybe I'm seeing these effects. Regardless, I won't put more Bartlett's back into this tank. Maybe another Anthia, but not them.

The Bartlett's can be a bit aggressive towards my fairy wrasses at times too.
yikes! sorry about it. pls keep us posted on how it turns out.

Thanks

hydroinnovations

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started out with lyretail anthias and was able to keep them in a 175 gallon tank, 4 females on male. They get pretty big and get more and more aggressive. Well the male started killing off the females by just going after them constantly. I've read that with anthias you need a minumum of 8 females to one male to prevent them from picking on one particular fish until it dies. I sold off 2 females and the male, kept one, and the other 2 died. Now I just have 1 lyretail female that I would get out if it would just go in the trap, its getting pretty aggressive.

upgraded to a 440 gallon

I bought 5 dispar, one male and 4 females. I put them in QT first and got them eating frozen before I introduced them to the tank. They did great but one always seemed skinny although it ate everytime. It was an outkast from the group because it was sick. A friend suggested a freshwater dip to kill any parasites so I did and the fish started getting fatter and healthier everyday. Well one weekend I came in and one dispar missing and one very injured with a bulge on one side...not sure what happened but someone went crazy, maybe my mystery wrasse. The 3 remaining dispar are fat and happy.

I then added 5 bartletts anthias which all ate frozen too after the QT, Recently I lost 2 of them b/c they got stuck at the same time between my fish trap and the glass. I was really bummed.

I got more dispar from a friends tank, 4 more females...at least he thought they were dispar but I don't think they are. In fact I can't figure out what they are. They are shaped kind of like dispar but more cylinder shaped. They are orange and have bright blue eyes like lyretail. My dispar do not have these blue eyes and are a different color. All of the anthias I have now (10 total) all school together mostly because of my 10" black tang and an aggressive powder blue.

Here is a pic of the school, I love anthias

Attachments

• 407.jpg
    407.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 421
  • 402.jpg
    402.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 348

hydroinnovations

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to share this, this is my automatic anthias feeder. Its a zooplankton reactor from aqua medic. I have it installed on the wall on the other side of my tank and the top of the reactor is at the same height as the top of my tank. I run a siphon tube from the tank through the wall to keep the reactor filled with tank water. There is a drain at the bottom of the reactor that is plumbed to my sump with a 1/4" tube. There is a valve connected inline that I keep almost closed so that it only drips in to my sump and the top tube on a siphon from my tank keeps the reactor filled. There is an airline connected to the bottom for areation and water movement inside the reactor.

In the reactor I'm culturing introduced tiger pods and whatever other pods make it in to the reactor. I feed the pods with phytoplankton.

Attachments

• 452.jpg
    452.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 328
  • photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 363
Last edited:

Lynnmw1208

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 carberryi anthias. I had 3, but one turned out to be evansi via liveaquaria's mistake and that one did not make it. I couldn't get the evansi to eat anything well. The carberryi are doing great though and eat NLS pellets :)

pic with the one evansi when he was alive
DSC_0646.JPG

DSC_0634.JPG

close ups of the soon to be male
DSC_0846.JPG

DSC_0847.JPG

DSC_0826.JPG

I plan to get more since I love these so much!

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping this thread (I know it's 2+ years old). Just wanted to see more feedback on this that have anthias that are still doing strong. I want more color in my reef and believe anthias will be my next purchase. Really don't want lyretails so feeling out my options (possibly considering sunset ones).

tdyrkacz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old thread. i'm interested in hearing more about how the phyto\pod station is working out. Do you have to change\clean the tubing to ensure there is no disease from old phyto?

Back