Any ideas for an outdoor fish shed?

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to build a 10x10 foot shed for
The fish. It will have an acrylic top, its am old shower door to let in light.

Any tips?

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol good think i never asked you for school advice.

Why? It will be insulated and sealed amd heated

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You planning to keep fish in it or just equipment? Why in a outside shed?

@Lionfish Lair as she has one.

Where are you located? That would be the main detractor I could see.

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You planning to keep fish in it or just equipment? Why in a outside shed?

@Lionfish Lair as she has one.

Where are you located? That would be the main detractor I could see.

In in Canada. It get below freezing. But a few attractive things would be natural sunlight to grow coral, lots of space to do what i wish, a huge skimmer as tall as the roof. Etcetera.

The cold insnt a concern as itl be insulated with the proper insulation.

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10x10 once it's filled with tanks won't be much floor space.

Ive got two ideas. One is a big single display tank, or a natural pond with beach and waves crashing on the shore. :D

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Natural sunlight isn't always the best. From past readings and research, the farther away from the equator you get the less effective the light becomes for our purposes.

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Natural sunlight isn't always the best. From past readings and research, the farther away from the equator you get the less effective the light becomes for our purposes.

Its basically the shortest day of the year and at the angle the sun is at now id be getting 100,000 lux or more for 6 hours of the day.

Id supplement it with metal halides or kessil leds on cloudy days.

My most concern is a strong foundation and making it realitivly cheap.

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10x10 doesnt require a permit thats the reason for the size. Id prefer 15x30

Dumaurier7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2618.JPG

No shed required!

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10x10 doesnt require a permit thats the reason for the size. Id prefer 15x30

Now I certainly don't know Canadian code, but I wouldn't put much credence into a permit not being necessary. A structure that has heat and electricity is no longer a shed! It's living space and they'll want to tax it.....i.e. a permit is needed. In addition, now that it's living space, a footing and foundation are necessary....and if this is similar to the northeastern States, you're looking at a four foot foundation built on footings.

Now with your old acrylic shower door roof, what's the pitch going to be....that is, what's the snow load like up there? It probably won't be an issue because the heat loss through that acrylic will melt the snow before it builds up.

I think your plans are very ambitious.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can find some tanks on youtube that use natural light, and frankly the corals don't look that great. Some people that have tried natural light eventually went to supplementing with artificial light. Think about it, if you are not on the earth where the corals grow naturally you won't get near the sun you need.

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I certainly don't know Canadian code, but I wouldn't put much credence into a permit not being necessary. A structure that has heat and electricity is no longer a shed! It's living space and they'll want to tax it.....i.e. a permit is needed. In addition, now that it's living space, a footing and foundation are necessary....and if this is similar to the northeastern States, you're looking at a four foot foundation built on footings.

Now with your old acrylic shower door roof, what's the pitch going to be....that is, what's the snow load like up there? It probably won't be an issue because the heat loss through that acrylic will melt the snow before it builds up.

I think your plans are very ambitious.

Heat loss a lot? Its about 1/2" thick. You think itll be the same as a norma window with gas between the plates? The slope would be 45 degrees or so, like most homes.

Skydvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about a small greenhouse?
The solar gain helps counter the heat loss.

I know of some people in New England that grow out coral in greenhouses. It only takes a week or two to get them acclimated to higher light levels and expel excess zooxanthellae to color back up.

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about a small greenhouse?
The solar gain helps counter the heat loss.

I know of some people in New England that grow out coral in greenhouses. It only takes a week or two to get them acclimated to higher light levels and expel excess zooxanthellae to color back up.

Greenhouse would be nice. Im not sure but considering its mostky glass or plastic, and our winters can be -40 celcius, i dont think a greenhouse is a viable option.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't put two side by side, also adding electricity will not make it a living space. Where in Canada do you live? I've lived in Ontario as well as Alberta and relatively familiar with building codes provincial wise anyway

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greenhouse would be nice. Im not sure but considering its mostky glass or plastic, and our winters can be -40 celcius, i dont think a greenhouse is a viable option.

You can purchase insulated glass greenhouses, they use double or triple layered glass to maintain heat and are designed for all weather options. my only concern there is the price point, something that size you're still looking in the $7500 range minimum

Back