OP
Cory

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can purchase insulated glass greenhouses, they use double or triple layered glass to maintain heat and are designed for all weather options. my only concern there is the price point, something that size you're still looking in the $7500 range minimum

Yeah thats a little too much (not if i had the cash though)

Im guessing this shed will cost me 1000$ ish dollars to build (not including tank stuff)

Im thinking of putting down 2x10s for the foundation resting on a gravel drivway thats there and not in use. They will be placed on cement pillars that are like 5$ each at home depot. Good idea?

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking your probably going to be in the $1500-3000 range especially if you are running legal electical to the shed which is highly advised also you must take into consideration if you have a 10x10 foot once you subtract the wall thickness you are more than likely looking at a 9' x 9' space to work in

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing wrong at all with using the concrete "Feet" they give you the added ability to insulate the floor of the shed much easier as long as your feet are on solid stable ground

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say if you do go the foot route you will need approximately double the amount they suggest for a regular shed given the increased weight associated with our hobby

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh sorry, forgot to say im in Alberta :)

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say if you do go the foot route you will need approximately double the amount they suggest for a regular shed given the increased weight associated with our hobby

Since they are only like 5$, i could put 20-40 of them with no isues.

I just like that its outdoors. Get me pretty excited.

As far as electrical, was just thinking of running an outdoor extention cord theough a hole in the wall lol. Bad idea? Im just thinking electricity and humidy is a bad idea. I wonder if they have special water resistant electric outlets .

Come to think of it, i could put an separate room for filtration and an electric outlet.

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats it take that get a permit for a 15x 20 shed?

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should run electrical under ground the correct way, not worth Cheaping out on electrical.

Not sure why i read all this but since i did, what is your plan for heat, electrical? If so your probly looking at 3 to 600$ per month. Good luck at making this worth the hassle in any way shape or form.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should run electrical under ground the correct way, not worth Cheaping out on electrical.

Not sure why i read all this but since i did, what is your plan for heat, electrical? If so your probly looking at 3 to 600$ per month. Good luck at making this worth the hassle in any way shape or form.

Trig makes some VERY valuable points, but honestly if it is properly insulated electrical heat would only bump your electical bill up another $100 or so a month possibly less. if it wasn't insulated than his numbers are more than accurate.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not use an extension cord, especially with the wild temperature changes Alberta goes through. The only way to properly wire it is under ground with its own dedicated GFI circuit and permits are definitely attainable but if I remember correctly anything larger than 12'x12' does require drawings to be approved by the city/town and that would be part of the permit approval process

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be insulated with r40 insulation on all sides. I would probably use a propane heating system like they use in trailer parks. They say it cost them 100$ a month to heat a trailer with propane. Considering this will be smaller and have better insulation, i could cut that in half possibly.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
R40 would be impractical for a wall you would have to build the walls out of 2x16s for the insulation to properly expand to achieve the R40 factor. R24 is more than enough for heat that may escape through the wall. Propane is possible as well but you need to understand these trailers use there own furnaces which can cost between $750-1500. you could use a propane infrared heater which is a popular camper upgrade option. They are roughly $500 and consume 100% of the propane they use which makes them extremely efficent.

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
R40 would be impractical for a wall you would have to build the walls out of 2x16s for the insulation to properly expand to achieve the R40 factor. R24 is more than enough for heat that may escape through the wall. Propane is possible as well but you need to understand these trailers use there own furnaces which can cost between $750-1500. you could use a propane infrared heater which is a popular camper upgrade option. They are roughly $500 and consume 100% of the propane they use which makes them extremely efficent.

Sweet, doesnt sound bad going that route. Ill have to check it out. R24 is cheaper so thats good. 100% of the propane sounds great. What happens to the emmisions like co2?

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this

WHY CAN THE BUDDY HEATERS BE USED INDOORS SAFELY?
6/25/2014 12:05 PM
There are a couple of required safety features needed for ventfree heaters to be used indoors safely. A BURNER that is 99.9% efficient at burning all the gas is consumes so that very little CO or carbon monoxide is emitted. The heater also requires a ODS or Oxygen Depletion System that will shut off the heater if the Oxygen level drops to a still safe 18%. Because these heaters are portable, they also require a TIP SWITCH so if it they are knocked over the gas flow stops shutting off the flame and gas. Last there is a FLAME SENSOR safety shut-off system that will shut off all gas flow if the flame goes out.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Camper infrared heaters do not emit any harmful toxins. if they did they would not be certified for indoor usage. There are inwall units you can purchase as well

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're on the right track if that is indeed how you wish to heat it

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for a room that small it would be less than $100 a month garunteed. and roughly the same to cool it in the summer

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for a room that small it would be less than $100 a month garunteed. and roughly the same to cool it in the summer

Sweet! Easy enough. I was thinking of just opening the door in the summer lol. Or leave it cracked.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 65 85.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.9%
Back