any LED fixture cover a 36x36 area?

macawmagic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about selling my 75 and getting the 150 thats 36x36x27. Just trying to figure out if one LED light could cover that. maybe with 4 24" t5 actinics around the outside? Tank would be mostly my high end acro's, acans, and zoas.

TopNotchCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about selling my 75 and getting the 150 thats 36x36x27. Just trying to figure out if one LED light could cover that. maybe with 4 24" t5 actinics around the outside? Tank would be mostly my high end acro's, acans, and zoas.
Pretty sure ReefLEDlights can build something for those dimensions.

OP
OP
M

macawmagic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bump...anyone that has one of the led fixtures? Just trying to figure out if I could use one led light instead of a 400w halide.

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running two of the LED's from luke33 over my 36" x 20" x 20". I dont think one of these lights would cover that tank.

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be willing to bet that the acans and zoas would have absolutely no problem with one of Lukes Gen2 fixtures raised off of the tank, but not too sure how high up you'd have to have the acros to sustain them with only one fixture. I'd say it would be a wise investment to get two of the fixtures if you go with the ones that Luke is selling. The Gen1 has 80 degree optics, but the gen2 has 60 degree optics, so it would have to be pretty high off the tank.

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be willing to bet that the acans and zoas would have absolutely no problem with one of Lukes Gen2 fixtures raised off of the tank, but not too sure how high up you'd have to have the acros to sustain them with only one fixture. I'd say it would be a wise investment to get two of the fixtures if you go with the ones that Luke is selling. The Gen1 has 80 degree optics, but the gen2 has 60 degree optics, so it would have to be pretty high off the tank.

i talked with him about that earlier this week it could do it but it would have to be high. it should workout if you have a shallow tank though. i dont think it will cover a 36x36 area though

OP
OP
M

macawmagic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how about 1 gen 2 fixture in the middle with 6 24" t5's around in a "U" pattern. I guess I should check on the price of the tank first as that would kinda be the deciding factor.

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how about 1 gen 2 fixture in the middle with 6 24" t5's around in a "U" pattern. I guess I should check on the price of the tank first as that would kinda be the deciding factor.

I would PM Luke33 and ask him what he thinks. He's done some tests, and could probably do a few more to get you some PAR numbers with a fixture high enough for that kind of spread.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back