Any recommendations on a Kalk Reactor?

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I in the market for a Kalk reactor and I was looking at 3 brands. 1st one is the Avast K1 Kalk Stirrer model! You have the option buying it pre-assembled for $209.00 Incl. Free shipping. Also, heard good things about the Reef Octopus KS100 Kalk Stirrer for $249.00. The last one I was looking at I the Precision Marine Kalkreactor KR620 for $289.00. If you own any of these Kalk Reactors, please let me know your thoughts on how well you like them and how well they perform which would be greatly appreciated?? I have plenty of room to add whatever one I decide to go with.

TANK INFO:
120 display
Ecotech M1 pump
Apex Classic with a Salinity probe
Apex ALD Module w/ 2 Leak Detector probes
Apex PM2 Module
BreakOut box
Skimz 163 DC Montzer Series skimmer
Custom sump / Refuge
2 TUNZE Turbella 6055 Pumps
2 AI Hydra TwentySix HD LED Fixtures
Celestial C35W Maxspect Refuge Spotlight
Aqua UV Ultraviolet Sterilizer 25w
BRS Dual Media reactor
Eshoops IV Master & Slave Doser
Tunze 3155 Auto Top Off
Hard Plumbed with All Spears Gate & Cepex Ball Valves
1'' Sch 40 pipe

k1_new_1024x1024.jpg

207889-octopusks100-kalkstirrer-b.jpg

Precision-Marine-Kalkreactor-KR620-99.jpg

3mm3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use this Precision Marine Kalkreactor KR620.
I have been running it for around 5 years no complaints. Good quality.

thewbell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Avastin but I assembled it myself and saved a few bucks. It has been working great on my 120 for a year now with the motor spinning constantly. The reactor even went completely underwater when my house flooded in August and it has been running string since I restarted in December.

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got the Avast K1 and haven't had any problems with it at all. The top lifts off for easy kalk loading and I keep it spinning 24/7.I purchased the Avast built one just to have it ready to go when it got here.

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Absolutely love my Avast Kalkreactor. It's keeping my tank constant at 9.5 dkh and 440 CA and is paired with a Neptune Dos. Do you guys use 2 part in addition to the Kalkreactor? I hope the kalkreactor can keep up with my alk/ca demands as my corals grow without the need for 2 part.

3mm3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely love my Avast Kalkreactor. It's keeping my tank constant at 9.5 dkh and 440 CA and is paired with a Neptune Dos. Do you guys use 2 part in addition to the Kalkreactor? I hope the kalkreactor can keep up with my alk/ca demands as my corals grow without the need for 2 part.

I use a calcium reactor together with the kalk reactor.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Geo's Reef kalk reactor and love it, build quality is top notch and it's a tank

@geo

JamesP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use a stirer over one of the pump driven models as kalk destroys pumps. If it were me id go for the avast "you build" and get the biggest one you can fit. This limits the time between refills and keeps a fully saturated solution longest. Pop in a ph probe in the avast as well since it comes with a probe port so you can get a notification when time to refill based on falling ph.

SethOF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will consider a DIY.

4" PVC pipe, as long or short as you want. Consider that output from reactor should be higher than sump.
4" PVC cap
Pump for recirculating solution (Your main expense)
PVC glue. (May need Plumber's GOOP)
PVC fittings
A short length of flexible hose.

I made one tied to my ATO. The reactor is fed from the ATO, and simply drains into the sump. I will post a picture of the reactor later. In my case I used a short piece of acrylic to allow me to see when I am running out of kalk. I also connected my ATO to account variations in how much top off water is needed by using a set of solenoid valves and my Apex pH probe. The thread about the connection is here.

SethOF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will consider a DIY.

4" PVC pipe, as long or short as you want. Consider that output from reactor should be higher than sump.
4" PVC cap
Pump for recirculating solution (Your main expense)
PVC glue. (May need Plumber's GOOP)
PVC fittings
A short length of flexible hose.

I made one tied to my ATO. The reactor is fed from the ATO, and simply drains into the sump. I will post a picture of the reactor later. In my case I used a short piece of acrylic to allow me to see when I am running out of kalk. I also connected my ATO to account variations in how much top off water is needed by using a set of solenoid valves and my Apex pH probe. The thread about the connection is here.

This is a photo of the reactor.

Kalk Reactor.JPG
It is 4 ft tall. The PVC fittings were mounted with PVC glue and Plumbers GOOP. The Plumbers GOOP also worked for joining the acrylic piece to the PVC. It allows me to see how much kalk is left. The pump is an Eheim pump, I used a short length of PVC to support the pump and reduce any stress on the fitting connected to the reactor body.

OP
OP
FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
**Here is my 1 year review of the AVAST Marine - KALK stirrer K1 model**

I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND ONE FOR ANY REEF SYSTEM 1st of all! No issues what so ever, all I do is add a few teaspoons of ME CORAL KALK to the reactor and give it a little mix on the top and Boom, you're good to go for 2 weeks. On how I have it hooked up is I have a 2 part BRS Doser pump that puts out 1.1ml per minute and it runs off 2 float switches that are connected to my Apex controller. One RODI line goes into your ATO storage container and the other RODI line gets connected to your Avast Marine KALK reactor. I clean my reactor about every 2 or 3 months and have had not one a single problem and I run my kalk auto stirr 24-7. Solid company and Superior tech support... I am so happy that i DID not go with the Precision Marine Kalkreactor KR620 for $289.00 b/c my buddy has one and he has a lot of problems with his PM KALK reactor.

TANK INFO: 150 MIXED REEF

Out,
FLSharkvictim

IMG_6113.JPG

IMG_6114.JPG

Last edited:

FoxyFace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND ONE FOR ANY REEF SYSTEM 1st of all! No issues what so ever, all I do is add a few teaspoons of ME CORAL KALK to the reactor and give it a little mix on the top and Boom, you're good to go for 2 weeks. On how I have it hooked up is I have a 2 part BRS Doser pump that puts out 1.1ml per minute and it runs off 2 float switches that are connected to my Apex controller. One RODI line goes into your ATO storage container and the other RODI line gets connected to your Avast Marine KALK reactor. I clean my reactor about every 2 or 3 months and have had not one a single problem and I run my kalk auto stirr 24-7. Solid company and Superior tech support... I am so happy that i DID not go with the Precision Marine Kalkreactor KR620 for $289.00 b/c my buddy has one and he has a lot of problems with his PM KALK reactor.

TANK INFO: 150 MIXED REEF

Out,
FLSharkvictim

IMG_6113.JPG

IMG_6114.JPG

Do you have a diagram of this? I'm setting one up and I'd like to use your method. I have a parastaltic pump and the K1.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Reef Octo 150 and it is pretty good. Doesn't use a pump and has the motorized stirrer. I like that better since it is less maintenance. I use mine with a Vertex doser and it works out really well for me. I also have an Alkatronic to keep things level if the stirrer dosn't dose enough. Having the Alkatronic definitely has helped me tune mine base on usage. The combo for me is amazing. I thought about going 100% doser, but have given it more thought since the combo works so well together. I can honestly say that the Alkatronic has changed my mine now that I have had it for a while and been able to get things more stable.

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So are you using this as your base ATO with the float switches or are the floats used as safeties with the APEX? I’m trying to see if I can base my dosage on pH levels or have to adjust the Kalk more manually for tanks needs. I would like to add Kalk based on ph so that more would get added during night hours when pH drops as opposed to more during day lighting hours when more evaporation occurs.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imagine the OP has probably decided already ...... but, FWIW, I have found the stir-bar based approach to be much better than a circulation pump.

OP
OP
FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a diagram of this? I'm setting one up and I'd like to use your method. I have a parastaltic pump and the K1.
@FoxyFace, I am Currently am using the AVAST ATO Along with there peristaltic pump. The Avast per Pump is connected to my saltwater mixing station. It draws from the RODI barrel to the left and transfer the water to my Kalk stirrer which runs into my sump. Everything is controlled with my ProfiLux4..

Mixing station.jpg

Last edited:
Back