Anyone Have Experience With Cadlights?

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about getting the Cadlights 165 gallon All Reef Artisan II setup. Now they come with the tank with black background, hardwood furniture stand, a 50 gallon sump, 3x AI Hydra 26 LED's with mounting, an Aquamaxx Q3 skimmer, glass canopy, and some crappy Jebao 1,500gph DC pump (the older one). It's also a eurobraced tank on the top.

The price is fantastic for what you are getting. I also get it a bit cheaper because I have family in the retail business.

The only concerns I have is with the plumbing and after sale support.

They use some weird size schedule 60 bulkheads that only fit their plumbing and all their piping is junk, or so I've read. They sell an adapter to make it normal schedule 40 compatible as well. It's also a central trapezoid overflow. But I've read a few horror stories about Cadlights, but the tank and price is very attractive.

Does anyone have any experience with their setups and plumbing on LARGE tanks? I wanted to know how sturdy their new line of Artisan II stands are. It says they're Maplewood and better than "Marine Spec" cabinets (an obvious jab at the Red Sea Reefer stand being made of MDF and called "Marine Spec."

So any thoughts would be appreciated...

https://www.cadlights.com/index.php...id=345&zenid=1a490d0b3433429388fc4a136ba397fa

Diamond Jack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a cadlights artisan ii 70 a few years back. I think its a great value for the price. Tank quality was pretty solid. I had a piano black stand and the build was solid. I was a little disappointed in the finish. I could see the bumps in most spots where nails were used. Basically, there where bumps in every spot and to me it took away from the quaility of the stand.
Yes, the pipes are goofy and don't fit american size pvc without adaptors, but it was never a problem for me.
The overflow is fine. Not dead quiet, but not loud either.
Customer service is ok. You might have to call a few times to get a hold of someone. I have no idea how they would handle any problems. Not sure how they are currently.
I think they are priced right for what you get. I would consider ordering from then again. Pretty nice setup.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my experience, I would not recommend them. It's not worth the cost savings. https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/275662/

Pm me if you have any questions about the problems I had.

I will add the build quality of the stand they sent me was far inferior to the reefer's stands quality.

Last edited:

cohlton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 165, but I got a custom stand, I like the overall build quality, but I absolutely hate the plumbing it comes with. The customer service for me was good, didn't have any problems. I'd recommend it for the price point

dodgerblew

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stay far away from cadlights as possible. Search Cadlights on the Southern California Reefers forum on RC. It's troubling, from the quality, warranty and customer service. I'm sure you can find happy owners but there's many unhappy ones and I'm of the thinking that good news travels fast and bad news travels faster

primoreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally got the artisan 125 gallons a few years ago so far so good customer service was pretty good they replace the pump on their skimmer no questions asked which I later replaced with a vertex omega overall cadlights aquariums and stands are good not great or cheap either you get what you pay for I would get the 165 gallon if I had the money I feel like you getting more for your buck with the hydra 26 and aquamaxx skimmer

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 70G Artisan II system and I really like it. When you get around their metric sized plumbing, it's fine. Their CS is wanting but the build quality, in my experience, is top notch. The stand is furniture grade wood with a piano finish that holds up very well. I did replace the return pump with a DCT4000 and purchased my plumbing parts from CoralVue. Best prices I could find online. I went with 45s instead of the furnished 90s and stayed with the 40mm pipe. Over all I'm pleased with my tank but I know there have been other people less fortunate with their experience purchasing from them.

OP
OP
Forsaken77

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally got the artisan 125 gallons a few years ago so far so good customer service was pretty good they replace the pump on their skimmer no questions asked which I later replaced with a vertex omega overall cadlights aquariums and stands are good not great or cheap either you get what you pay for I would get the 165 gallon if I had the money I feel like you getting more for your buck with the hydra 26 and aquamaxx skimmer

Thats what I think. . . . Im getting a lot more for the money with those lights & skimmer. I just dont know if I trust them with over 200 gallons of saltwater.

Is it an open top stand? I would think so being the sump is 5 feet long for a 6 foot tank.

For those that don't know, Cadlights changed their stands in 2015 to hardwood instead of MDF. I also read that the glass top is just a flat piece of glass laying across the eurobrace with no hinged doors. So to do maintenance you have to take off the entire top piece of glass instead of opening a hatch. Even to feed. I suppose it could be left off, but they claim a significant reduction in evaporation. The stand is also mostly enclosed, so very little air exchange. I'll probably have to use a bubbler.

I wanted a tank that's roughly 6 feet by at least 22 inches wide. It's almost impossible to find a decent one though. I'd honestly be fine with a 125 except that finding a sump to fit inside a stand with 15 inches of usable width space limits things a lot.

I'm also not experienced with hard plumbing and being that it's not even a standard size makes things tougher.

Im deciding to either go with this or a Marineland 180 with their Monterey high-end stand with the plywood top.

doradosteve

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about getting the Cadlights 165 gallon All Reef Artisan II setup. Now they come with the tank with black background, hardwood furniture stand, a 50 gallon sump, 3x AI Hydra 26 LED's with mounting, an Aquamaxx Q3 skimmer, glass canopy, and some crappy Jebao 1,500gph DC pump (the older one). It's also a eurobraced tank on the top.

I just purchased this system.

I do have some issues, and in all fairness, I will give Cadlights a chance to rectify them before I post. Stay tuned . . .

Zoaeasy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 18 gallon AIO which have been running for the past year as a seahorse tank and I am very pleased with it. Build quality is great and no problems.
I am just setting up a 60 Versa cube this weekend.It's been standing in my office for the past 4 months and finally may have some time to do it! I build the stand last week and no complaints so far. Its MDF but it is very solid and well ventilated at the the back. Has 3 vertical slats for the back with 4" gaps .
The tank looks great although have not plumbed it yet so keeping that opinion on hold for now. The single overflow is a concern but will use Apex leak detectors. The glass top is in two pieces and rests on plastic clips with an opening. I think this may be for the light arm ? I would be concerned to leave it open. Even my 6" Trigger will definitely try to jump through it. The sump is great and large so no complaints there. I'm using the stock pump for now but will upgrade to a Vertex at some point. I've also had reasonable response with support.
The tank was shipped all the way to Canada , nothing missing and very solidly packed.
I am excited by this build and think it was very reason able price point for what I needed it for ( Waiting room tank in my office)

Last edited:

doradosteve

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have received a bunch of PM's regarding my Cadlights experience. Once resolved, I will post my experience.

GeoffSLC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a Cadlights Artisan 125 gallon since May. I have had no problems at all with the tank. The sump leaves a bit to be desired, especially if you want to run a refugium. It works ok though. The plumbing was a PITA, but i like projects. It took a few trips to the Home Depot, but finally just used adapters on the provided bulkheads. I decided not to use the included return pump and skimmer because i read too many reviews. I don't use the glass cover because of the lighting. Glass filters too much of the needed light. I do have significant evaporation, but who doesn't?
may 2016 131.JPG
may 2016 131.JPG
may 2016 133.JPG
may 2016 133.JPG

doradosteve

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Steve,
Just wanted to follow up and make sure you have had all your issues resolved. If there is anything else we can do for you, please don't hesitate to let us know!

I would like to thank Cadlights for their outstanding customer service! It says a lot when you own TWO of their flagship aquarium- one white color scheme, the other black. Stay tuned for picts of both of these stunning tanks . . .

Cherub

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to thank Cadlights for their outstanding customer service! It says a lot when you own TWO of their flagship aquarium- one white color scheme, the other black. Stay tuned for picts of both of these stunning tanks . . .
I've stayed tuned for a while lol, any pics?

doradosteve

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, been tied up with work lately & forgotten about this thread.

Here's a snapshot of my tank at a little over two years of service.

My second CADlight aquarium was purchased this past Black Friday. Their package deals were waaaay too good to pass on.

I wasn't sure that I was going to like the white interior of the stand, however, clean lines with no spaghetti bowl of wires makes it look sharp.

doradosteve

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Notice on my black tank how the lights are parallel with the tank & also AI 52's? I get really great coverage with the lights mounted like that. I am not into SPS, but suspect that this setup may work well for them.

The white tank houses anemones & a few corals. 3 AI 26's are sufficient. If I wanted SPS, I would add a 4th light.

DanInMichigan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, been tied up with work lately & forgotten about this thread.

Here's a snapshot of my tank at a little over two years of service.
Can you give some information on the brackets you're using on your two tanks, to hold your lights. I'm finding that the Cadlights eurobracing limits options on suspending light fixtures.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 39 47.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 51.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 17 20.7%
  • None.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.8%
Back