Anyone have one of these? Yellowhead jawfish

da6d2003

Definately OCD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had em before. Very cool fish. Just be prepared for them to make a mess of your landscaping. :)

OP
OP
czieler

czieler

Reefin' Girl
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heh...my turbo snails already do that!!

The last two weekends...I broke down and epoxied some frags ... that they keep knocking over...

da6d2003

Definately OCD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I know what that's like. These guys dig dig dig. It's cool to watch them move rubble around.

OP
OP
czieler

czieler

Reefin' Girl
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pretty good sand bed...it comes up about 2-3 inches all the way across the tank... and tons of rock...

I was actually surprised I had enough rock when I combined my two tanks..I thought it was going to look empty.... I need to build up one spot still to hide an seio pump though...

Maybe I'll get one or two of these after I upgrade my skimmer...still have a 65 on a 150 tank...so need to do that first...before adding more fish I think.

mbunaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2-3 inches is to little. They need 5-6+ inches to live a happy life. They need a fine grain bed with pieces of rubble mixed in. Cool little fish but many people dont have long term success due to inproper habitats for them.

cardgenius

Paging Dr. Greenthumb!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do get a top if you dont have one. My Blue spot took a dive for the carpet after only having him a week:(

bryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I love the bluespots a bit more than the yellowhead, boith cool though and will definitely jump! :)

Reefwifey

Zoa Black Thumb
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have one, but love them and did the research to see if one would do well in my tank. For starters they need 4-6 inches in the sandbed. Plus, they need plenty of exposed sandbed, as in an area that doesn't have any rock or coral on it. And then, you need to have the area around THAT area without any corals because they'll cover everything with sand. Hehe.

My tank is too small to have that much accessable sandbed, but in a larger tank they would be awesome.

OP
OP
czieler

czieler

Reefin' Girl
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm...I don't know if I quite have 4... it is probably more like 3.5 at the deeper parts...

maybe I should go w/ a smaller goby or something..I like the barbershop gobies... they are neat...

burn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll get a pic of mine up here. It is a great fish with a lot of personality. I have about a 4-5'' bed where he burrowed out his home. I recommend him 100%!

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i always wanted one, and after months of debating...i finally tried one. of course he went carpet surfing that night. now it's on my "fish to add once i upgrade with closed top" list...

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a local glass cutting company to cut one to fit the top of my tank.
Cheap, too!
:D
Laurie

Angel

...and your point is?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my pair...

I just put C shaped PVC for the rocks to be stable and haven't had a problem with any toppling since *hope I didn't just jinx myself*. They made their home inside the C of the PVC. Very funny and great to watch as they watch you. I also made a lid out of mosquito netting and frame for a screen door, but my six-line is a known jumper also, had to save it twice from the floor before the screen top. Here are a few pics of mine:

Attachments

• JawFull.JPG
    JawFull.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 222
  • JawPair.JPG
    JawPair.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 183

bngowe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
def. wanna get a jawfish.. .but no top..heard they are jumpers..but yea.. seems pretty cool..imma definately get one once i have a cover..

was at a fish store and it was just watchin me while i walked by...now that is just soo tite.haha

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 57.8%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back