Anyone keep Freshwater shrimps ?

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just get a 1o gallon tank with a HOB filter which is protected by a filter sponge as your shrimp won't get sucked in.
What kind of shrimp you going to have in there, Crystal reds or blacks maybe SSS grade?

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you use the amazon soil substrate to keep PH low, and your plants will love you for it.
I used to breed all the high end and was one of the first to breed the King Kongs 5 years ago

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would an HMF be a good choice and are you referring to ADA Amazonia

Yes the ADA, last longer and is more consistent.
I had about 100 babies per month in each 10 gallon that I grew out in 20 gallons below them.
Yes I had about 20 tanks going.

SBlisters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im looking for tips I want to get a fluval spec V. Thanks and Happy reefing
Ha! That's what my freshwater life is. In fact, I got into salt after winning a raffle for it while at an aquarium show to see the dwarf shrimp competition. [emoji5]
I keep neocaridinas in a planted tank and have it set up with an equilibrium that requires me to do basically nothing.

How you approach it depends mostly on what you want. My tank has been happy and stable for years, but is a 20g that won't sustain a population of more than ~20. They mate, they breed, they die, they play, they eat. Fun little guys.

Enjoy!

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently have a 20 gallon planted tank with different type of freshwater shrimp along with some other fish. Would love some tips on how to get them to breed more.

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Be102 they are very easy as long as the tank was cycled as any slight amonia spike will kill them , the less predaters you have the more they will breed .
Can you recommend some fresh water products to use to tend to the tank itself? Like I never really understood what the flourish tabs and stuff were for. My tank basically needs no maintence at all it seems.. I do grow a little too much algae though.

IMG_0064.JPG

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I struggled with freshwater shrimp for years until I tested my KH and discovered I have basically no calcium in my tap water. Now I supplement and they're much happier. I'm hoping they're breeding since I have them in a 120 and I started with only a few of them, but I have a lot of cory cats that may eat the eggs. [I don't know how many fish I have because the cories and the tetras breed! I guess I'm kinda successful.:rolleyes:]

For algae: are you adding CO2? That increases plant growth and they can outcompete the algae for nutrients. Of course then you have to pull handfuls of plants out of the tank regularly. :D

120 gallon, live planted tank FW; Red Sea Reefer 250 new tank.

Marius Swart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a low tech with DSD ferts , no algae without co2 . Shrimps are like guppies , when they pop out they are an organism rather than eggs , but very very small . If enough plants there will be some that survives . @ThunderGoose well done with the breeding . Post us some pics of your fish, sorry for going off topic

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could someone describe dsd more? A quick google search didn't really find much. I would like to get my tank more stable. I actually had received a pair of balloon belly mollies and they had fry! Some lived; so I got a few little fish swimming around with some Cory (habrosis) and a few other peaceful fish.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I struggled with freshwater shrimp for years until I tested my KH and discovered I have basically no calcium in my tap water. Now I supplement and they're much happier. I'm hoping they're breeding since I have them in a 120 and I started with only a few of them, but I have a lot of cory cats that may eat the eggs. [I don't know how many fish I have because the cories and the tetras breed! I guess I'm kinda successful.:rolleyes:]

For algae: are you adding CO2? That increases plant growth and they can outcompete the algae for nutrients. Of course then you have to pull handfuls of plants out of the tank regularly. :D

120 gallon, live planted tank FW; Red Sea Reefer 250 new tank.

Any pics Sir?

Marius Swart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Be102 its a Professor in South Africa that designed it , think he only sells local but can find out .
DSD is plant fertilizer
You get low tech , and the high tech ( more light , co2 )

Low tech is a plant feeding mix and water hardening mix (GH) , 1ml per 10l ( 50% wc weekly )

However , moving to co2, more growth , so more ferts are needed
This includes the same plant and hardening mix ,
KH up - with co2 you need stable kh to balance out ph swings (I used crushed coral in my filters as well, too much c02 , the crushed basically dissolved and raised ph )
perfect KH reading for high tech is 4
You also use 3ml DSD NPK fertilizer x3 a week, if you notice any algae you switch out NPK to NK-P
He designed it for different water ( western cape , northern cape ) meaning the water doesn't have the same additives as other regions , where I stay we have very soft water , GH and KH 0.
If you wanted to see more PM me you email then ill send you the emails with his contact details .
Im only running a pond and a bathtub filled with my 7 year old strain I designed ( still busy ) and a few shrimps

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back