Anyone keep Freshwater shrimps ?

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Be102 its a Professor in South Africa that designed it , think he only sells local but can find out .
DSD is plant fertilizer
You get low tech , and the high tech ( more light , co2 )

Low tech is a plant feeding mix and water hardening mix (GH) , 1ml per 10l ( 50% wc weekly )

However , moving to co2, more growth , so more ferts are needed
This includes the same plant and hardening mix ,
KH up - with co2 you need stable kh to balance out ph swings (I used crushed coral in my filters as well, too much c02 , the crushed basically dissolved and raised ph )
perfect KH reading for high tech is 4
You also use 3ml DSD NPK fertilizer x3 a week, if you notice any algae you switch out NPK to NK-P
He designed it for different water ( western cape , northern cape ) meaning the water doesn't have the same additives as other regions , where I stay we have very soft water , GH and KH 0.
If you wanted to see more PM me you email then ill send you the emails with his contact details .
Im only running a pond and a bathtub filled with my 7 year old strain I designed ( still busy ) and a few shrimps

And that is for the hobbyist who say reefing is difficult.
My challenge still stands ;)
I have done freshwater plants till basically 2010 when I dropped it and just continued on the salty side as I thought salt is a lot easier :rolleyes:

SBlisters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Be102 its a Professor in South Africa that designed it , think he only sells local but can find out .
DSD is plant fertilizer
You get low tech , and the high tech ( more light , co2 )

Low tech is a plant feeding mix and water hardening mix (GH) , 1ml per 10l ( 50% wc weekly )

However , moving to co2, more growth , so more ferts are needed
This includes the same plant and hardening mix ,
KH up - with co2 you need stable kh to balance out ph swings (I used crushed coral in my filters as well, too much c02 , the crushed basically dissolved and raised ph )
perfect KH reading for high tech is 4
You also use 3ml DSD NPK fertilizer x3 a week, if you notice any algae you switch out NPK to NK-P
He designed it for different water ( western cape , northern cape ) meaning the water doesn't have the same additives as other regions , where I stay we have very soft water , GH and KH 0.
If you wanted to see more PM me you email then ill send you the emails with his contact details .
Im only running a pond and a bathtub filled with my 7 year old strain I designed ( still busy ) and a few shrimps
IMO you either have a planted tank or a shrimp tank. What I mean is, deciding your priority. If shrimp are the priority, then the environment, including what is planted should be to fit their needs. If aquascaping is the priority then certain things can be done to make the shrimp as comfortable as possible within that environment. That establishes if you dose, what type of plants, fertilization, etc.
This is currently my fave shrimp: 20170115_103027.jpeg

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO you either have a planted tank or a shrimp tank. What I mean is, deciding your priority. If shrimp are the priority, then the environment, including what is planted should be to fit their needs. If aquascaping is the priority then certain things can be done to make the shrimp as comfortable as possible within that environment. That establishes if you dose, what type of plants, fertilization, etc.
This is currently my fave shrimp: 20170115_103027.jpeg
My tank is more of just a shrimp tank with plants and some other random inhabitants; most whom don't eat any shrimp, at least they don't seem to. I haven't tended to the plants in pretty much a year rather than some minimal maintence. I originally looked into co2 but didn't want to waste $$ on tiny cartridges or try some diy with yeast.. but now I've come a long way with reefing so I figured I'd learn some planted tank info to make both tanks a priority.

Marius Swart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got rid of all my fw stuff , i have shrimps in everything , even my goldfish pond is filled with them .
You dont need anything fancy to breed them , just have proper filtration and mature tank

@Diesel , depends how far you go , i acieved what i wanted with fw , bred a few fish , best so far was celebes rainbows . So when i started with marine , i did not have time to go on with 9 tanks. Now i started with sps and finding the struggle but enjoy every moment

20170116_183117.jpg
20170116_183124.jpg
20170116_183059.jpg

JBradford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got rid of my FW tanks when I got into SW but been debating a planted shrimp tank lately. I have setup I could easily use.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for the beautiful FW pics ! Like probably most of us I started with FW tanks as a kid. I have a fond spot in my heart for them. Especially the ponds!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 23 30.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 60 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.3%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.3%
Back