Anyone use gyre xf250s on SPS tank?

jeremy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mp40s now but will need 4 to cover my 6ft 180 gallon tank. I have been thinking about getting 2 gyre. But will they provide enough random flow for the whole tank?
Tank is a 180 gallon 6x2x2ft.
All SPS tank.
I have the mp40s and I like the control ability of them. But only having 2 pumps instead of 4 or possibly 5 when everything grows in is alot of equipment hanging in the tank.

Anyone have any experience with the gyres? Or thoughts? Pros? Cons?

dakoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't happy with my gyre and sold it. Frequently stopped working on me

jumplittlechloe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 on 120 4x2x2 and have been pleased. I had two mp20s on a 65 and feel like l have better flow with the gyres. I have sps but they are frags. I can't go past 30% on the two gyres or my fish get blown across the tank.

alten78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a 150 on my 75g, i really like the wider flow pattern (opposite a wp25.) Anything over 50% is too much so i have it set to about 40%. With that said, anything over 60% is noisy and sounds like a constant chirp being on pulse mode. During the day it isn't too noticeable with the household awake and busy but at night when its quiet (tank in the living room) it is very noticeable. Maybe coralvue fixed that issue with the 250?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a brace of Gyre x-50s on my 65; set to Oceanic Gyre Mode with a max of 100%, they're not perfect (they do blow some water out of the tank from time to time, when they're running at full bore, and blast 1/4" bubbles nearly to the bottom) but my fish can mostly handle it, just as they would on a natural reef during rough weather. They duck into the rock, coming out between surges, or surf the surge itself. I expect the setup to be just fine when I move it to a 220 sometime next month. Other times of the day, I get a gentle flow that swirls 'round the tank. Is it perfect? Not really. I'd like to see a bit more "anti-sync" and "delay" built into the program, but there are options to program it myself, and if I wasn't feeling lazy, I could probably create something like that. With the Oceanic Gyre Mode, the pumps generally oppose one another, both doing the same thing at the same time, but in opposite directions.

I've had no mechanical trouble with either pump so far (one is new, the other a year+ old 150), but did have a Chinese knock-off give me the baleful red light and die on me after 4-6 months.

~Bruce

bhuyett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like Jumplittlechloe also run 2 X250's on a 4ft tank. As well can't go over 20% or my fish get blown everywhere.
I changed from Ecotech MP40QD's because my corals are to close to each side causing direct flow in them. Once I switched and had the opportunity to point the flow up and create a Gyre my SPS are much happier.

This is a quick 4K video of my tank under a Reefbrite 48"XHO Actinic strip.

MikeYasin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two on a 75 gal. I run an opposite custom gyre program at 10%. PE on SPS is crazy since adding. Pointed up for surface agitation, reverse flow cycle kicks up sand bed for first few days- you'll have to find balance.

saltygoat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 running on my 210. Set for their alternating oceanic cycle. Works great. I have just a few sps sticks though. Mostly lps. But I wouldn't use anything else at this point. Simple and great results

Matthew the clutch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a single xf250 on my 5 foot 100 gallon aquarium and it is incredibly powerful. But I don't know all the bells and whistles on it yet. I have it set on OGC mode right now at 60%. If any of u have any suggestions on anything let me know.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 27 30.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 71 78.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 15 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 8.9%
  • Other

Votes: 7 7.8%
Back