Anyone use the BRS Chloramines Monster?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

DeeBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next week I am moving to an area that uses chloramines in their water supply. I have been looking at various options of removing it with my RO/DI unit. The most common solution is the Pentek Chlorplus block sometimes coupled with catalytic carbon. However BRS offers the Chloramines Monster that supposedly filters around 19,000 gallons of water - which would mean it would be many years for a medium sized tank before it would need to be replaced.

So the upfront cost is pretty substantial but it looks like it would actually come out cheaper if it last as long as they say it does.

Has anyone used this filter and have any feedback on it? Would hate to spend that much for something that doesn't deliver promised results.

Monster.jpg

Staggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dumb question, but how do you know if Chloramines is an issue that you should address? Did you just call the water department and ask?

OP
OP
DeeBee

DeeBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dumb question, but how do you know if Chloramines is an issue that you should address? Did you just call the water department and ask?

You can go to most municipal water supply websites and look up their yearly water reports. It tells you exactly what is in the water. Where I am going also proactively tells you that chloramines are used instead of chlorine in case you have aquaria or a pond.

ThePriceSeliger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I imagine it'll make your carbon filters and DI resin last much longer, thus that initial investment may not seem so large in a year or two. If you do live in a place using chloramines, I'd use it.

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have been using a chloramine monster in front of my RO/DI for a good six months. My water supply is high in chloramines and I was experiencing frequent STN issues with my SPS relying solely on my RO/DI. Since I installed the chloramine monster all of my STN issues resolved.

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One additional thing to add is that we have used it on our water storage setup in the warehouse for quite a while. They do last a very long time, even with our crazy water usage. With that being said, another option you didn't cover is running two of our Universal blocks. We originally did some really thorough testing and found them to be one of the best options available for chloramines. I would recommend replacing both of your carbon blocks with two of the universals if you choose to go that route:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-universal-carbon-block-filter-1-micron.html

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I tried that and still got breakthrough too soon for my water needs. Rather than change them both every month, I went with the big boy and all is well! My DI lasts MUCH longer too so ultimately I am saving money.

Staggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I had been looking at the same product wondering if it was something I should look at getting. Looking at the water quality report it appeears that they are using Chlorine as I didn't see Chloramines anywhere on the report, but did see Chlorine being used as a disinfectant.

OP
OP
DeeBee

DeeBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With that being said, another option you didn't cover is running two of our Universal blocks. We originally did some really thorough testing and found them to be one of the best options available for chloramines. I would recommend replacing both of your carbon blocks with two of the universals if you choose to go that route:

Thanks RT. I actually wasn't aware that the Universal block removed chloramines until you posted this. Am I reading it accurately that the Universal block is actually superior to the Pentek ChlorPlus as it filters chloramines at 3500 @ .5 GPM versus the Pentek's 2500 ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
DeeBee

DeeBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried that and still got breakthrough too soon for my water needs. Rather than change them both every month, I went with the big boy and all is well! My DI lasts MUCH longer too so ultimately I am saving money.

That's exactly my concern - I know the other options will work but is their lifespan so short that it will eventually cost just as much or more - whereas the Monster can be set it and forget it.

How much water are you making each week?

Last edited:

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EDIT: Did not realize this was a sponsors thread prior to posting :)

Last edited:

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks RT. I actually wasn't aware that the Universal block removed chloramines until you posted this. Am I reading it accurately that the Universal block is actually superior to the Pentek ChlorPlus as it filters chloramines at 3500 @ .5 GPM versus the Pentek's 2500 ?

Unless they are understating their performance which I would doubt they would do, that’s the case. That said, If I had to guess the performance is likely very similar now since I believe they made some changes since we performed that test.

There also can be some variances between accepted tests. We tested to 15% break through, and it looks like Pentek tests using 3ppm chloramine to .5ppm break through. Check out more here:

http://waterpurification.pentair.co.../en/310106-chlorpluscartridges-rev-b-my15.pdf

Teddyboy16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought this today, and it's being packed for shipping. The average of chloramines in my area is average 2.1ppm up to 3.4ppm. I just don't want to take any chances. It all starts with good water. Happy that I bought it. :)

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am shocked that you dont currently live in an area running clhoramines.

All a chloramine is, is chlorinated water injected with amonia, the amonia incapsulates the chrlorine allowing it to hold a residual longer and prevent the chorine from freely mixing with natural organics to form a know carcinogen.

So your current water supplier only runs free chlorine?

I guess i should add a system running one clhoramines will switch off amonia 3x per year for a month and run free chlorine to to burn off the excess build up of amonia

Teddyboy16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do live in a area that uses chloramines. They've been running it for years (decades). Is it my post that your referring to? :)

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do live in a area that uses chloramines. They've been running it for years (decades). Is it my post that your referring to? :)
The op actually. With what we know constant free clhorine causes in a distribution system now its hard to believe any one runs free chlorine all the time

Teddyboy16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep there are still areas that do that. I'm just gathering equipment right now. I already have the BRS 150gpd system. I used to go to the lfs to get RO/DI water. It was such a pain lugging around 5 gallon jugs. I hated doing that. You can even get get filtered saltwater from scripps for free, but it's just one more thing that I have to do. I'd rather just make it up as I need it on demand! :)

Teddyboy16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! I just got it today from the ups distribution center. This thingy really is a monster! It's huge and heavy! I can't wait to start using it. This component cost almost as much as the 150gpd system that I bought from BRS. I also bought a booster pump, and auto flush valve. I'm all set now for RO/DI. Still collecting equipment for my tank. I'll start another thread about the rollermat that I want to buy. Once a find a suitable place to live with room I'll start to set it all up.

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! I just got it today from the ups distribution center. This thingy really is a monster! It's huge and heavy! I can't wait to start using it. This component cost almost as much as the 150gpd system that I bought from BRS. I also bought a booster pump, and auto flush valve. I'm all set now for RO/DI. Still collecting equipment for my tank. I'll start another thread about the rollermat that I want to buy. Once a find a suitable place to live with room I'll start to set it all up.

Have you had a chance to install yet? How's it going? :)

Back