Anyone use the Ecoxotic Stunner Strips

CSJIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just pops! You see a bit of a difference when the 150w lamp is on, but its crazy colors when it goes out! I have this multi color acan that just GLOWS under the stunner strips.

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet. Thats what I like to hear. haha. I'll have to post up some pics when I get them mounted.

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I'll go to Lowes this weekend and look around for ideas, and pick some stuff up so I can mount them the day they get here.

Actually if you are mounting them directly to a reflector you don't have to get anything to mount them. They come with some 2 sided tape that works very well. After adding them to my hood I don't think I could get them off without the use of some tools to pry them off and they are stuck to plywood.

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually if you are mounting them directly to a reflector you don't have to get anything to mount them. They come with some 2 sided tape that works very well. After adding them to my hood I don't think I could get them off without the use of some tools to pry them off and they are stuck to plywood.

Nice, thanks for the tip. Using a double sided tape or a velcro with strong adhesive was another idea I was throwing around. I'll try this first before I do a mounting bracket.

Thanks again man...saves me a trip to Lowe's this weekend. :)

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worry's, I have had lights that came with double sided tape before and the tape failed. When I got these I was like really this again? But it is way stronger than I thought it would be.

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only concern would be the heat on the reflectors weakening the adhesive. I might zip tie the cords up so even if it does fall off, it'll just hang instead of fall into the tank

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only concern would be the heat on the reflectors weakening the adhesive. I might zip tie the cords up so even if it does fall off, it'll just hang instead of fall into the tank

Thats how me and criad both hold out LED's onto the side of out fixtures, i would think adhesive would also weaken due to the sheer weight of the fixture.

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the weight is only 0.4lbs, so I wouldn't think the weight would be that big of an issue compared to the heat. I'll try it and see what happens.

Another concern would be that the LEDs would throw my reflectors off balance, and cause them to lean forward a bit. Hopefully 0.4lbs won't affect it too much.

raymond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my buddy had 2 he was using on his red sea max and one of them seemed to be brighter then the other one, he has now sent the duller one back because the supplyer said it was defective, the one that worked right was nice on that size of a tank though, but i would want to get some par reading from the bottom of his tank because im not sure that the corals at the bottom would get enough light

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my buddy had 2 he was using on his red sea max and one of them seemed to be brighter then the other one, he has now sent the duller one back because the supplyer said it was defective, the one that worked right was nice on that size of a tank though, but i would want to get some par reading from the bottom of his tank because im not sure that the corals at the bottom would get enough light

Thanks. I'm just using for supplement lighting, so as long as they do their job, I'll be happy. But if one is brighter than the other, it'll go back :)

CSJIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some examples taken on my Canon 7d....unedited.

IMG_3394.jpg

IMG_3395.jpg

IMG_3396.jpg

IMG_3390.jpg

IMG_3391.jpg

IMG_3392.jpg

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow, thanks a bunch man. How many stunners are you using? Are you using the purple ones, or the blue ones?

CSJIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you are seeing there is the 453nm. I have a UV strip closer to the rear of my tank which gives a reddish hue.

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you are seeing there is the 453nm. I have a UV strip closer to the rear of my tank which gives a reddish hue.

Thanks for the input. The 453nm is the color I got for the modules. Only two days and I should have them :)

GAtroutbum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope they work for ya. I've got 6 strips plus a 400w MH on my 65. They do OK but they're not that bright.

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's hilarious that you call him out when you've replied to every single response. Pretty easy to combine multiple quotes in one reply...

Thanks, but my replies are generally after that one person has responded. I've never used the multiple quote function heavily, regardless of the contest. I'd did it before, and I'll continue to do it afterwards. I do the same thing on ReefCentral, its just easier.

nuff40

returningaddict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use 5 50/50 Stunner LEDs + 1 Stunner UV and a Panorama blue over my bc 14. The only complaint I have is that the colors are different from what you would see with a standard Actinic. Don't get me wrong, everything flouresces nicely and stands out when only the Panorama is on, but I question the naturalness of the color display.....still deciding if these are what I want to stay with or not, but all the softies and clam seem to be quite happy...in other words the jury is still out.

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WooHoo....they are here. Plugged on in while sitting in the living room, and man, that thing is bright. Gotta get this thing downstairs on my tank :) Pics to come soon.

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so maybe I posted a little too quickly. I put one above my tank, next to my halide fixture, and it was barely noticeable. Not i'm disappointed. haha The colors really popped when I dropped the LED closer to the tank, but where I want them, they aren't going to be bright enough. Ughh.....

Are the ReefBrites brighter than these modules? Anybody know?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back