APEX 2016 Energy Bar Problem.

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received my APEX last night and began setting it up as soon as I got home from work. I followed the steps in the "get started" guide and everything was going fine until it came to time to plug stuff in. Following the steps, I plugged my return pump into outlet three aaannd nothing happened. So I tried tinkering with it (this is my first APEX and I really didn't know what I was doing). I followed the steps on BRS 160 to program outlets and that didn't work either. As a final attempt I tried just changing the name to what it was in the guide, at this point it was 2 in the morning and I was pretty much just blindly pushing buttons. Does anybody have any advice on how to make this work? Inside my stand is an absolute mess right now because I had to plug everything back into the old power outlet, I was completely out of ideas...

Lol, also, apparently my tank isn't doing as well as I thought it was. I've been getting texts all day that stuff is out of limits...

20170110_164709.jpg

20170110_164656.jpg

Screenshot_20170110-175830.png

Screenshot_20170110-175858.png

Screenshot_20170110-054425.png

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appearently your EB 8 isn't set up to the main module.
I forgot how to do that but there should beta drop down some where and you have to recognize the EB8.
Let's tag @Terence from Neptune in here.

Last edited:

Pongo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the screen shots are from a mobile device? Did you unlock the sliders? or is that an obvious dumb question?
Can you post a screen shot from a desktop computer?

When I first set up my EB832 & Apex 2016 none of the outlet names seemed to correlate with the outlet numbers, so........
I took a lamp and plugged it into outlet #1. Flip each switch to on until I found that outlet, then renamed it to Vectra_2_1.
Plug the lamp into switch #2, flip each switch until I find that outlet and then rename to Skimmer_2_2.
Then just continue the naming convention *_2_* until I named all the outlets I intended to use.

Then you can program each outlet for the functions they need.

OP
OP
Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, I am giving these suggestions a go as we speak.

@Pongo, I'll attach some pictures that show how I get into each individual outlet. It is a mobile, but it has all the same sections as a desktop, just a different layout.

Screenshot_20170110-203351.png

Screenshot_20170110-203306.png

Pongo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, dumb question #2.

You do have the aquabus cable plugged in from the base unit to the energy bar?
Why isn't the bright orange "N" status light on the energy bar lit up?

Yeah, I think a reset is in order.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you disconnect the EB* from your apex is everything still staying on?
It should as your EB8 would just function as a power strip.

Pongo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you see the padlock symbol at the top of the screen, unlock it to open the locker.
Do you have any outlets in there with the naming convention *_3_*?
'Cause I don't see all of your physical outlets on the screen shot you provided.

Or go back to your "outputs" screen and list all items under the column of "Type" as "outlet".
Those are your physical outlets 1 - 8.

OP
OP
Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you see the padlock symbol at the top of the screen, unlock it to open the locker.
Do you have any outlets in there with the naming convention *_3_*?
'Cause I don't see all of your physical outlets on the screen shot you provided.

Or go back to your "outputs" screen and list all items under the column of "Type" as "outlet".
Those are your physical outlets 1 - 8.
I do have it connected. The symbol is just super dim. Just did a reset, 20 seconds on the reset button, and get everything hooked back up. I had to grab the wife's computer, but here is the desktop view and what I see after I select outputs.
@Diesel, I think you're onto something. I may have a bad bar because the lights stay on, but none of the plugs work.

1484112633829963418268.jpg

1484112683599276089700.jpg

Oh, one more thing @Pongo, I tried going outlet by outlet with no luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

RamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes,

Read The F Manual

Is your powerstrip is connected to the head unit, for sure, you've double checked this?

OP
OP
Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes,

Read The F Manual

Is your powerstrip is connected to the head unit, for sure, you've double checked this?

I took a look at it and I can't seem to figure out how to do it... I think I'm missing something. Is this for the 2016?

OP
OP
Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see any physical outlets on the screen shots you've provided.
I don't think the base unit is recognizing the powerbar.
That'd do it. I thought it seemed like you had a whole lot more going on on your dashboard besides the dosing and stuff. I was having a hard time trying to fix this because I didn't know what the problem was, so I really appreciate all the help.

jonmos75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to the Module page and of it say 255 (OLD) select the EB832 and choose Update Firmware from the Action menu drop down.

You might have to try this a few times.

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds basic and you may have already done it, but you might want to try unplugging the Aquabus cable (connecting the PowerBar to the head unit) and plugging it back in. If that (among the other suggestions above) does not work, try swapping it for the cable your breakout box is using. It's possible that you have a bad cable, though from the look of your screenshots at least one cable is working.

OP
OP
Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I t
Go to the Module page and of it say 255 (OLD) select the EB832 and choose Update Firmware from the Action menu drop down.

You might have to try this a few times.
I think we're getting closer. Should the EB be showing up on this page? Looks like @Pongo may have been right. Could it be the cable or port?

Screenshot_20170110-230550.png

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back