Apex Controller....... oh the things you can do!!

B-ridge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old thread but anymore new codes over the last 2 years
Example auto water change just using float switches
Custom flow for MP40's
Program for auto top off

RobertP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone make electric valves that apex can control? Since I am a tech guy it got me to thinking about arduino programming. If you had some valves you could program it to open a couple valves, turn on a pump for x amount of time (drain water), then turn off the pump, turn the valve back, then turn on a pump (for new water from storage tank) for x amount of time. Of course this would depend on how you have everything plumbed. Not sure this is something apex can do or not. I can think of a few ways this could be bad if something failed but just a thought.

I must confess that I don't yet own an Apex but planning to get the flagship in March. Was reading through Terence's 425 post and it got me to thinking....yeah I know. :)

gettaReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You wouldn't need electronic valves for this, the apex could just turn turn pumps on and off for whatever time you set. Instead of going off time, many people just use float valves (have pump A pump out water to the drain until it hits the low valve, turn on pump B to pump in new SW until it hits the accurate water level valve - and with your ATO being controlled by the Apex, you turn off the ATO during auto water changes)

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use peristaltic pumps that are matched. I run them on the same timers. No need for valves are switches except a low storage tank switch to shut off the water change when the storage tank is low on fresh salt water. I also use the salinity reading and if it get out of bounds it will shut down the water change pumps.

Detlev

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi sorry if my english is terrible
But i have a question about it.
Every single day may apex send me a text with the power issues.i don't Find how to fix it my ethernet is not on port 80 so.... 4 divices are on the ethernet
2 wireless Phones the other 2 flatscreen and apex for monitoring the apex.... it drives me crazy.maybe you have a solution

Detlev

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Subscribed...

Screenshot_20170307-213741.png

HardCory

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a way to connect cheap, LEDs? Specifically the Evergrow WiFis

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the new flow sensors can you control pump speed based on the flow sensor reading?

oohnoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to the Apex world. But is it possible to shut off a pump if a float valve is triggered? As if your ATO doesn't stop you can have another one higher that would shut the ATO off. Sort of a fail safe.

emvanburen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. If your ato was stand alone you could plug it into an apex outlet. The outlet program would be something like this:
Fallback on - keeps on if loses connection
Set on - turns it on normally
If high_water = closed then off - high_water being your normally open float or optical sensor. You would need a break out box or flow monitoring module to hook the level sensor to.

oohnoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I use an optical sensor or does it have to be an normal float type? If I add one to the breakout box how does it know which port I hooked it up to if I have more than one as I would like to have another float switch to tell me when my ATO reservoir gets low. Liek I said, new to all Apex and trying to learn. Any good reading material for this?

Yes. If your ato was stand alone you could plug it into an apex outlet. The outlet program would be something like this:
Fallback on - keeps on if loses connection
Set on - turns it on normally
If high_water = closed then off - high_water being your normally open float or optical sensor. You would need a break out box or flow monitoring module to hook the level sensor to.

emvanburen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The breakout box takes simple floats. The fmm takes optical sensors. Have not figured out how to hook a float to the fmm yet. You can't hook an optical sensor to the bob without serious electronic knowhow as its a powered device somehow.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The breakout box takes simple floats. The fmm takes optical sensors. Have not figured out how to hook a float to the fmm yet. You can't hook an optical sensor to the bob without serious electronic knowhow as its a powered device somehow.
The optical sensors use a 4 wire plug. I'm pretty sure it uses 2 wires for an infrared emitter diode and 2 wires for the sensor. It might be possible to wire a float switch in place of the sensor diode, but it seems like a waste. You can buy a breakout box for $40, or make one for even less than that. Why would you waste a port on a $100 FMM for a simple float switch?

Edit - most leak detectors are simple continuity testers that use water to close the circuit between the sensors. I don't know if Neptune's leak detector is any different, but if you have one of those you could check to see if that's how it operates and which contacts on the plug it uses. BOB is still a better option, though

Chad20056

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys not sure this is the right place to post this, I'm trying to get an led light unit to turn on and off at a set time nothing to fancy just want it on or off but everything I've tried has failed it'll either stay on and not go off or will just not come on at all please see attached image also had the same problem with my jabeo wavemaker attached to the breakout controller is there something wrong with my apex
57b4ad1f763f30c591740bd7e5e30294.jpg

RobertP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-Added the Amazon Fire pad when I first got it but had TONS of problems with the dolphin browser losing connectivity. Silk had a recent update so switched to the Silk browser and have had ZERO problems! It stays connected for several weeks before I need to refresh. $50 for a display is WORTH IT!
-SB Reef lights are ramped up by the apex after some custom wiring.
-Added the Lunar module and have them turn off when white lights come on. It is pretty cool having my tank in sync with the lunar phases.
-Recently recalibrated my salinity probe and now it is correct. I guess it just needed to soak in the tank a couple months before you get accurate readings.

tdunmore2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-Added the Amazon Fire pad when I first got it but had TONS of problems with the dolphin browser losing connectivity. Silk had a recent update so switched to the Silk browser and have had ZERO problems! It stays connected for several weeks before I need to refresh. $50 for a display is WORTH IT!
-SB Reef lights are ramped up by the apex after some custom wiring.
-Added the Lunar module and have them turn off when white lights come on. It is pretty cool having my tank in sync with the lunar phases.
-Recently recalibrated my salinity probe and now it is correct. I guess it just needed to soak in the tank a couple months before you get accurate readings.
I've also been using the Kindle for a display. Are you able to get fusion to go full screen on any browser?

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread! My first Apex (Jr.) is on the way and I have a steep learning curve!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back