Apex vs EcoSmart/Reeflink

Seanislav

Rectangular Money Pit Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 300 gallon DD reef that has two VorTech MP60s, and a Vectra M1. Additionally, I have slowly begun transitioning my lighting from 3x 250W MH to Radion XR15 G4s (1 MH has been swapped for two of the Radions). All EcoTech equipment is tied to EcoSmart Live via Reeflink.

I want an Apex. I'm not home as much as I would like to be to test and monitor everything, and I have toddlers in the house, requiring chemicals and reagents to be kept in out of the way locations, and think on demand monitoring and control is the way to go. I use feed mode on the pumps, and will want to turn my ATO off while that happens. Would I need to get modules for the Apex (once I buy one or win the one here on R2R) to run EcoTech equipment, or does anyone know if I can somehow get an Apex to sync with an active Reeflink, thus preserving my current configuration?

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To have everything you have ecotech wise (except the vectra, it cannot be controlled by the apex besides simple on/off commands) you will need a wxm module and you will not be able to sync your reef link to the apex.

ReefingwithO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got a Reeflink because the WXM does not control the Vectra.

My Apex controlls ON/OFF for my Vectra and Radions.
I use the Reeflink to program them.
My son has a nano tank in his bedroom with an MP10 and the single Reeflink also programs that pump.

I do find that once I dial in my flow and light schedule - I don't connect to my Reeflink that often while I use the Apex multiple times a day.

With the new Apex, supposedly there are some power monitoring features that can let you know when there is an issue with your equipment - such as it drawing too much or not enough power than it usually does. I'm only a week or so in so I haven't gotten to those features as yet.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Seanislav

Seanislav

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To have everything you have ecotech wise (except the vectra, it cannot be controlled by the apex besides simple on/off commands) you will need a wxm module and you will not be able to sync your reef link to the apex.
I thought that would be the case, but wanted to be sure. Thanks for your input.

OP
OP
Seanislav

Seanislav

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a Reeflink because the WXM does not control the Vectra.

My Apex controllers ON/OFF for my Vectra and Radions.
I use the Reeflink to program them.
My son has a nano tank in his bedroom with an MP10 and the single Reeflink also programs that pump.

I do find that once I dial in my flow and light schedule - I don't connect to my Reeflink that often while I use the Apex multiple times a day.

With the new Apex, supposedly there are some power monitoring features that can let you know when there is an issue with your equipment - such as it drawing too much or not enough power than it usually does. I'm only a week or so in so I haven't gotten to those features as yet.
I figured there would be something I would need to keep the Reeflink going for. I gathered the Apex pretty much controlled the VorTechs, and on/off on anything else. Good to know. Thank you.

ReefingwithO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I figured there would be something I would need to keep the Reeflink going for. I gathered the Apex pretty much controlled the VorTechs, and on/off on anything else. Good to know. Thank you.
I really like how the WXM controls Vortechs and Radions. Basically charts that you move up and down. You can also load profiles that other Apex users share in the same interface.

OP
OP
Seanislav

Seanislav

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like how the WXM controls Vortechs and Radions. Basically charts that you move up and down. You can also load profiles that other Apex users share in the same interface.
Sounds like something to look forward to. Thanks.

shiftline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both and finally decided to try moving everything into the apex via wmx (I don't have a vectra but have mp40s and radions)

You can program the schedules and modes at specific times ect on both reeflink and wmx

The downside to wmx is it's more of a pain to do instant light tweaks but it's doable via profiles on the apex.
On the flip side tanks like stability so it may be a good thing that it's harder to mess with them on the fly :)

Vectra.. sadly not compatible yet

OP
OP
Seanislav

Seanislav

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both and finally decided to try moving everything into the apex via wmx (I don't have a vectra but have mp40s and radions)

You can program the schedules and modes at specific times ect on both reeflink and wmx

The downside to wmx is it's more of a pain to do instant light tweaks but it's doable via profiles on the apex.
On the flip side tanks like stability so it may be a good thing that it's harder to mess with them on the fly :)

Vectra.. sadly not compatible yet
Well...only recently did Vectra come online with Reeflink, so I guess Apex might not be too terribly far behind. Admittedly, I do little with my Vectra, aside from a feed mode every evening, so it likely wouldn't be any big deal. Just having a hard time with the price tag on the new Apex...it's on par with another pair of XR15s.

shiftline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not pick up a used "classic" apex? IMO the only real big advantage of the new apex is being able to monitor the power consumption of each plug. Aside from that they more or less do the same thing

OP
OP
Seanislav

Seanislav

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not pick up a used "classic" apex? IMO the only real big advantage of the new apex is being able to monitor the power consumption of each plug. Aside from that they more or less do the same thing
I really like the power monitoring capability and wifi in the new one...we're in a wifi house, so I would like to keep an eye on things while I'm working an hour or more away from home...would help me decide how quickly to get my tail home if the skimmer were to overflow or I lose power.

thabizness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had both WXM and Reeflink. I currently use the Reeflink. Once you configure your lights and pumps you shouldn't touch them anyway. The reeflink uses all the functions of all the equipment (Acclimation mode is the first to come to mind) where WXM does good but in a couple places falls short. The biggest thing I miss is a single feed mode but I have some plans to work around that using float switches to turn off the skimmer when the sump water level rises when I put the powerheads/vectra return in feed mode.

griff500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only issue with WXM is that you cannot calibrate the lights. If you calibrate using Ecosmart Live and then switch to WXM you lose the calibration. I'm therefore back to Reeflink, although I did like having switches to turn on specific profiles - blues to show colours during the day for a visitor, reds only at night for seeing what's going on, etc. Pros and cons...

shiftline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here a screen shot from my phone. The big finer point I noticed is reef link goes in 5% increments where wmx you can do 1% increments
IMG_0823.JPG

griff500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here a screen shot from my phone. The big finer point I noticed is reef link goes in 5% increments where wmx you can do 1% increments
IMG_0823.JPG

You can set whatever speed you want for a Vortech in Ecosmart Live and on the app - it has a round dial in the app and a slider on the website.

I'm not sure why you think Ecotech only allow 5% increments but that simply isn't correct.

shiftline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Round dial is for instant settings. I recall the program screen via web interface only allowing 5% increments. Atleast with my radions

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back