AquaIllumination led

jerl77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thinking really hard to drop the bucket and spend the 2700.00 bucks for a AquaIllumination 60" 5xModule LED Light System w/ Controller
does any body have one and can post some pics?
heres the one i think i am going to get
http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/LED...uaIllumination
what do you guys think worth the money?:moneygrubber:

Myteemouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Todd (cherry corals) was at my house a few months back and he had the 24 bulb one from AI (12"x6") i think
All I can say is WOW what a killer light..
I was so impressed..

DCG1286

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I unfortunately have yet to see an AI unit in person ... only pictures ... and unfortunately the tanks they were on were not the best examples of a nice reef ... mostly softies and LPS ... few SPS.

I have seen James (dickensCD from MR) in person at Manhattan Aquariums ... they look pretty cool and the SPS frags seem rather happy under them.

Either way it's an $$$ decision. :)

Have you looked in the Pacific Sun LED's at all? Or is that a no go?

Myteemouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Todd said his buddy has two of them over his tank and actually BURNED some SPS so he had to run them 60 percent.....
ALSO say they are on par with a 400w MH at 100% power

NaClCrocodile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering why you would get something like this over a 60" T5 fixture that costs less than half as much. Are the electricity savings THAT much?

OP
OP
jerl77

jerl77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looked at pacific sun the guy will not email me back i really doont want to buy from him now
I unfortunately have yet to see an AI unit in person ... only pictures ... and unfortunately the tanks they were on were not the best examples of a nice reef ... mostly softies and LPS ... few SPS.

I have seen James (dickensCD from MR) in person at Manhattan Aquariums ... they look pretty cool and the SPS frags seem rather happy under them.

Either way it's an $$$ decision. :)

Have you looked in the Pacific Sun LED's at all? Or is that a no go?

Myteemouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also the LED's Shimmer kinda like a MH! :)
I wouldn't trade my shimmer for 1,000,000 $$$
I hate T-5 tanks they look , well, dead, non active, slow, still,
PLUS the bulbs shouldn't need to be changed out for 8-12 years. very energy efficient.
take 12 years of 2 MH bulbs even the cheap ones at 2 a year. so 12 years thats 1200 dollars alone for bulbs only not counting if your BALLASTS last that long. :)
and then the power to run them and the heat from the MH , in turn the chiller to cool the tank.: )

NaClCrocodile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The controller is pretty amazing, I'll give it that. Has anyone got actual data on the consumption/hour for each module? I thought about getting one for my ultra modern 33 rimless, but heard the LEDs will inevitably fail and need to be replaced with a solder. I don't think that they should fail for a while, but let's be honest, things happen and stuff fails.

If anyone has the actual consumption of a block of these, I'd be happy to run the numbers. Compare it to a Power Module and maybe a MH fixture for fun.

NaClCrocodile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so I just took the specs from AI website and from Reef Geek and found this:
AI 72w per module, so for me it'd be two modules. 2x72=144. 24" AI = 144w consumption running on a standard 110v outlet.
PM 6x24w 1.5 amps or 165w running off of a standard 110v outlet

Power consumption, it looks like the PM is only slightly more than the AI at 100%. That said, I don't think I'll need it close to 100% so actual consumption will be less.

Estimating the cost of replacement bulbs ($140/year) it'd take about four years to recoup the initial money spent on the AI. Plus shimmer. Plus sick controller. Minus heat.

Wow. I just convinced myself that the AI is going to be my next fixture :squigglemouth:

wishntoboutside

Snow flake
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can not go wrong with the aqua illumination products. I have set up trade show tanks for them and reef geek the last few years at local trade show. a great product by far. nothing wrong with being a little greener at the end of the year. too.

Reefsurfing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
speaking of greener can i get a tax break for dumping my energy hog lights for leds?! nah just kidding or am I

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back