Aquarium insurance

Marc Laforge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say this is a great post. I so happened to see this a few minutes before a call to my insurance company, needed to make a small change for my car, took the opportunity to ask the agent what their coverage was If I had an aquarium in my home, I was told that the tank and its equipment were covered under my house policy, full coverage if the tank broke, 100% reimbursement on the the tank, the equipment and a max of $3,000 on livestock, only requirement was that the aquarium had to be setup in a room that was heated!! I think I owe them another call to recalibrate that..

Bayou City Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure your home owner or renters insurance policies cover for "undetected leakage and repeated seepage of water" with no time frame for reporting a claim. That covers beyond the standard 14 to 30 days on the time frame for accidentally and sudent discharge of water.
So let's say you have a leak behind a tank but you don't see it until ito too late ,say beyond 30 days. Most companies will deny it.

I'm a local Houston agent that insures most of the popular Fish stores in our area.
I've thought of offering a water damage seminar . I might need to reach out to my reef club (MARSH) to see if I can make it happen.

GSchuurms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My insurance company covers my entire tank...livestock, coral, tank and equipment up to $35,000. Farmers insurance in the company.....one of the best coverages I could find

Phil Cusimano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a large tank (roughly 100 gallons) but when we got the new tank the first thing I did was call my insurance agent. Told them what we were doing and they added a rider to our policy for a negligible amount which covers us in the event of a catastrophic break.
Never thought about that, need to see if my homeowner's insurance covers the aquarium otherwise it's time to add a rider. Nice tip btw!

Sharvey103

ReefAddicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting thread. I just had a 265 fail in April after 5 months that was a manufacturing defect. My insurance (Amica) covered all damage to the house. They did not cover the tank and livestock but would have for a small rider or if the tank is "built-in" to the house structure. However, the manufacturer did cover everything else so I was made whole. Just got in my new 300DD and will be setting it up soon and will post the thread of "the phoenix rising from the ashes." LFS (Nemo's in Matthews, NC) has been gracious enough to house the surviving livestock until the new tank is up and going. Best LFS I have ever dealth with.

Phil Cusimano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting thread. I just had a 265 fail in April after 5 months that was a manufacturing defect. My insurance (Amica) covered all damage to the house. They did not cover the tank and livestock but would have for a small rider or if the tank is "built-in" to the house structure. However, the manufacturer did cover everything else so I was made whole. Just got in my new 300DD and will be setting it up soon and will post the thread of "the phoenix rising from the ashes." LFS (Nemo's in Matthews, NC) has been gracious enough to house the surviving livestock until the new tank is up and going. Best LFS I have ever dealth with.
Sound most excellent to me! Glad you made out whole!

DaveMorris

MACNA2016 Co-Chair
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
State Farm here. Had an ATO get stuck in the ON position while we were gone and pumped an extra 45 gallons of water into the sump and onto the floor. They replaced all of the carpet, base moulding, painted the walls, no hassle at all. No increase in premiums. I was also told that they will cover the tank and components just like any other home appliance or piece of furniture. I've used State Farm for 44 years now. Wouldn't think of using anyone else.

steve bergmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a house fire that was caused by a surge protector on GFI that had an electrical arc. The surge protector was made of plastic. The investigator said you should always have a metal surge protector that way you can see if there is any corrosion, and regardless should be replaced every 3 years. Of course these things happen while you are on vacation. The long and short of it is that the my tank and all of the equipment were covered, the fish and coral were not.

After the incident naturally my wife said that was the end of my reef keeping days until the insurance company changed her mind. They told her that they had partially paid the claim for the fish tank and said that if I don't replace the tank I owed them $5,000 if I did replace the tank they owed me $5,000. I got my tank. Here is a video of the new tank:

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a house fire that was caused by a surge protector on GFI that had an electrical arc. The surge protector was made of plastic. The investigator said you should always have a metal surge protector that way you can see if there is any corrosion, and regardless should be replaced every 3 years. Of course these things happen while you are on vacation. The long and short of it is that the my tank and all of the equipment were covered, the fish and coral were not.

After the incident naturally my wife said that was the end of my reef keeping days until the insurance company changed her mind. They told her that they had partially paid the claim for the fish tank and said that if I don't replace the tank I owed them $5,000 if I did replace the tank they owed me $5,000. I got my tank. Here is a video of the new tank:

I am a little behind you.
Sept 2014
image by Peter Young, on Flickr

Present day
IMG_6923 by Peter Young, on Flickr

image by Peter Young, on Flickr

Insurance covered everything except live stock. Gave me a chance to redesign everything from the ground up (literally). Build thread is in my signature if you're interested.

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have an agent in CA you can recommend? I've tried a lot of different carriers and cannot find anyone that can confidently ensure the tank would be covered. I'm getting a lot of confusion with varying degrees of no or partial coverage. I've yet to find any insurer that would cover the tank due to a failure from manufacture defect, just fire, earthquake etc. Any leads would be great.

Thanks

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have an agent in CA you can recommend? I've tried a lot of different carriers and cannot find anyone that can confidently ensure the tank would be covered. I'm getting a lot of confusion with varying degrees of no or partial coverage. I've yet to find any insurer that would cover the tank due to a failure from manufacture defect, just fire, earthquake etc. Any leads would be great.

Thanks
That's pretty standard, not sure you'll find anyone who will cover manufacturers defect outside of a specialty policy like Lloyds of London

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 6.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back