AquaScape Fix by Fauna Marin - Review and Video

jsbull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently had to rebuild my tank due to leached heavy metals, so I used all new rockwork. That's a lot of aquascaping, so I decided to try the new AquaScape Fix by Fauna Marin.

I have absolutely fallen in love with it, so I decided to do a quick video on how I use it. Note that it has no traditional adhesive properties. It's just a polymer that is easily melted, shaped around things, then hardens to hold them together. It's honestly pretty fun to play with.

Here's the video of me attaching a acropora skeleton to rockwork as a hitching post for my seahorses:

Here is a picture of the rockwork after completed:

TSY4M6U.jpg

Here's a link to it on BRS: http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/aquascape-fix-bonding-adhesive-fauna-marin.html

You gotta try this stuff.

Rob Lion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the idea of this, but sadly whilst they say its not toxic, it is biodegradable in water over time :(

visioned

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the review and quick video.

aquamaxx is doing something similar to this. it looks great but will it biodegrade?

if not, i plan on using it toward the end of the year when i move!

OP
OP
jsbull

jsbull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the idea of this, but sadly whilst they say its not toxic, it is biodegradable in water over time :(
This really doesn't concern me. The skimmer will pull it out, and it'll likely biodegrade so slowly that it won't be noticeable. If my tank is still running 40 years from now, I'll be happy to reglue the rockwork. :)

Rob Lion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'd use it happily for mounting frags, but to rely on it holding up a rock overhang i wouldn't, it doesn't have to degrade much to let go, and a falling rock can do a lot of damage, as you said in your great vid, it doesn't have any stickiness to it, it relay on its surrounding grip.
This stuff is similar to what many bio pellets medium are made with, and they don't degrade slowly.

OP
OP
jsbull

jsbull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'd use it happily for mounting frags, but to rely on it holding up a rock overhang i wouldn't, it doesn't have to degrade much to let go, and a falling rock can do a lot of damage, as you said in your great vid, it doesn't have any stickiness to it, it relay on its surrounding grip.
This stuff is similar to what many bio pellets medium are made with, and they don't degrade slowly.

The world of polymers is incredibly diverse. I have a start-up and choosing what polymers to use for a spacer and a seal felt like I needed a PhD in astrophysics. It's amazing the slight differences they offer in things like durometer. The fact that two polymers look alike really could mean nothing.

The beauty of this, which I guess I should have communicated better in the video, is that there is a ton of material squeezing down in dozens of nooks and crannies on both pieces. Therefore, it would have to degrade enormously to lose stability. I'd put this stuff against super glue, that purple stuff, and any other common adhesive, if you let me use it like it should be used. You're basically fusing the rocks together with this. And it's so easy to do.

I honestly wouldn't use it for frags, as the lack of adhesive will require that you mold this around the frag. Plus, it dries white. It wouldn't be as attractive as super glue between the frag and plug or rock that can't be seen.

Rob Lion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok great explanation :) you can also get colouring agents for the polymers too, as well as hardeners, permanent set additives, strengthening fibers and different temperature melting points.

Just so you know, the branded reef suppliers are expensive and don't produce the beads, you can get it a lot cheaper from the manufacturers directly. I had though about creating an entire man-made reef rock structure with it ;) but that's a no go IMHO.

Gianfranco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently had to rebuild my tank due to leached heavy metals, so I used all new rockwork. That's a lot of aquascaping, so I decided to try the new AquaScape Fix by Fauna Marin.

I have absolutely fallen in love with it, so I decided to do a quick video on how I use it. Note that it has no traditional adhesive properties. It's just a polymer that is easily melted, shaped around things, then hardens to hold them together. It's honestly pretty fun to play with.

Here's the video of me attaching a acropora skeleton to rockwork as a hitching post for my seahorses:

Here is a picture of the rockwork after completed:

TSY4M6U.jpg

Here's a link to it on BRS: http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/aquascape-fix-bonding-adhesive-fauna-marin.html

You gotta try this stuff.

Hi, I bought the glue because of your video. Unfortunately, he sticks to my fingers and pulls strings. The glue does not behave like on your video. Do you have a tip for me?

Back