Archon Controller - Video Series

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
R2R family,

As several of you may know, I am one of the beta testers for the Archon. I have had my unit since December and seeing as it is still quite new and not much out there, I wanted to start a Thread where I could upload walk thru and how to videos for anyone who is looking at getting one or who already has one. I will be the first to admit, I am not Mr Saltwater Tank so, dont expect fancy graphics or music just yet. Just clean information on the systems hopefully.

So, in that light, here is the first video I made which is a generic walk thru of the pages on the Archon as it stands today. There are some other cool features coming but they are not publicly released yet so I cannot hit them.

First, a bit about my system in its current state. I have a 66 gallon reef with a 40 breeder sump. The tank is controlled by my Archon completely.

• Archon
  • 3x PC4 modules
  • 1x APC module with DCI
  • 1x Sl2v2 Module with Salinity Probe

Given that, my archon controls

• 2x Jebao WP40
  • 1x Jebao DC6000
  • SCA302 Skimmer
  • Reef Radiance Lumentek Pro 240. (hacked with a translation board that bypasses the on-board controls so my Archon controls it.)

The Archon is Open source and linux based. Given that, if you know much about these things, the sky is the limit of really what it will do for you. You can truly customize this system. I am not so much a coder as I am a hacker so I just changed the background on my system to give it something more appealing to me. This part was Super easy to do and will surely be explained in a later video.

DISCLAIMER:
I would really like to keep this thread Clean and neat, so please try to keep this a positive thread on the system. Ask how to questions, ask feature questions, but please remember, I DONT work for DA. I have not been paid by DA. I was just offered a system in exchange for being a beta tester.

So, now that I have all the paperwork out of the way, here is the first installment.

OP
OP
pickupman66

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@bobyboy , Ask and you shall receive. how to Program a return pump to work with a Switch. This should be familiar to you as it is very similar to the way we did it on the RKL and RKE.

crs751

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pickupman thanks for the videos. This is off topic but does the DA net module allow remote control of your tank or just remote monitoring? Trying to decide if I go with a RKL and add the net module or go with the Archon. Thanks for your help.

OP
OP
pickupman66

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The net module does allow for some channel control via web interface however it will not allow for complete programming such as calibrations and other functions. In addition the reef keeper lite will only allow for modules total not including the net module. So it is a bit more of a limited system as to how much you can do with it. If you have not purchased it yet and are starting from scratch I would recommend going to the Archon simply because it is newer and offers a lot more functionality. I have been using Digital aquatics products for almost 6 years now.

crs751

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. Given that you are a long time user, why do you prefer DA over Apex? The Apex users are legion on these sits and there appear to be only DA bashers posting. As a non user I'd appreciate an opinion from the dark side. Much appreciated.

OP
OP
pickupman66

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I have never used the Apex. You will never hear me say "the Apex Sucks" or trash their product. I know they are very popular and can do everything needed. But I started out with a used RKL with a SL1 and two PC4. and just sort of upgrade from there. It was cheaper to add modules to it than to gut and re-do with apex. It grew and grew to be 4 PC4 mdoules, ALC, APC, SL2v2, NET and PC1 and I swapped the Head unit to the RKE. Frankly, it just worked for me and my tank. However, Last year I was ready for a new controller. I was really going to sell my entire system for an APEX. Then DA announced the Archon and I knew that was what I wanted. even told the wifey to put it on my christmas list. Fortunately, I lucked into the Beta test program.

that said, has Apex led the market over the last few years, yes. DA fell behind IMO and had some internal struggles and such. they would be completely dead if it were not for this Archon project (my opinion).

Now, is the Archon perfect right this minute? NOPE. there is room for improvement, and I see that happening with every update that for the most part happen every week or two. the system has some great potential for doing what we as reefers need it to. The fact that it is Linux and Javascript based means that it is very open source. you can edit the HTML to your liking for the overall appeal of it. The cloud based aspect of it is on the VERY near horizon. as a Beta tester I expect it to be in my hands very soon.

getting out of the controllers, is customer service 100% perfect? nope. Neither is Apex. And let me tell you how AWFUL Samsung was to me yesterday on a 6 month old $250 smart watch that died (they refused to honor warranty because I bought from Amazon). Even my own company has issues with providing 100% happy customer service (dont let my boss read this).

Bottom line is I can tell you how well the controller works for me and my tank. I can show you how to use it and from there, you make the decision if you want one or not. As my signature states, I have been reefkeeping for 15 years so I have seen alot of products and Methods come and go.

crs751

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your opinions and honesty. As I said I don't have a controller now but do have individual controllers on such thing as the heater, calcium reactor and fans. I was concerned that if you rely on a single source controller that you loose redundancy which I understand I don't have now. If/when I add a controller I need web control simply for peace of mind that I can shut off a pump if the sump runs dry or the tank overflows. The latter happened to me; the cause remains a mystery. I thought the price for the base unit Archon was a little high but I realize that in includes several modules in one. And the compatibility with older modules is attractive. Hopefully DA will be around long enough to keep supporting the equipment.

Thanks again for your time and opinions.

OP
OP
pickupman66

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem. Honestly I don't see them going anywhere since they have the backing of dynon.

Hogan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked up an Archon and am planning on setting it up in the next week. Thanks for the videos, they help a lot. What programs, alarms, etc. do you have on yours? I'm looking for ideas on how to maximize its use. Thanks!

OP
OP
pickupman66

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. I'll see if I can do a few more walk throughs on alarms and such. Just been swamped

OP
OP
pickupman66

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to shutdown and pull the drive. Then in the www folder look for an image named background_water.jpg. rename it to something and then put your new image in this folder with that name.

benapilot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a happy Archon user on my 46 gal bow front:
- 2 PC4 power bars (from my ReefKeeper Lite package I bought several years ago)
- 1 PC1 running my auto water change fill pump (25' away in the laundry room)
- 1 SL1 with emergency float switches that trigger alarms. One in my display tank that shuts off my return pump in case I lose siphon in my overflow, and one in my sump to shut off my ATO or auto water change fill pump.

The Archon runs my auto water change system (2 SpectraPure pumps that change one gallon of water every M-W-F). I have a float switch down in my fresh salt water reservoir that causes the Archon to shut down the water change system and text me that it's time to mix more saltwater.

I really like the fact I can "hack" into it and customize the look:
image.jpg1_zpsck7zfpfs.jpg

crs751

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it take a lot of programming knowledge or can you pick up tips from users on the DA boards? It seems that the more I read about this system that it is a viable alternative to the Apex.

benapilot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The programming can get a little confusing, but the beta testers are really good about helping.

I've never done anything with the Apex so I can't compare the two. It's not too unlike the ReedKeeper programming- maybe a tad easier because it's all in front of you instead of cycling through one line at a time on the RK head units.

OP
OP
pickupman66

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is pretty easy. Just need some logical thinking. It is definatly easier imo than some apex programming.

Ben. I love the blue. Did you do that in the style sheet? If so, lmk. I'd love that.

crs751

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This could be the wrong place to post this but can you use the NET module to control the tank remotely? And if so what is the advantage of using the Archon? Let me know if I should post separate from this thread. Thanks.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back