Are Chinese LED's bad/inferior?

Mattyice008

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't read through any posts, just posting my experience with my fixtures. I use 2 taotronics reef lights w/ dimmers over my 75. I'm growing all sorts of sps and lps, keeping lights dimmed at 50-55%, fans are very quiet, and they have been doing great for me. Been running them for about a year.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets see if this link to a poll on the age of led fixtures works:
How old is your current led light fixture? - Reef Central Online Community

Maybe we should try that poll here on R2R?

The results were:
less than 1 year........35
between 1-2 years....24
between 2-3 years.....6
between 3-4 years.....4
more than 4 years......2

That's less than 17% for more than 2 years and less than 9% for more than 3 years!

Great Idea

What do you think about these questions in three categories of use/experience?

1)
0-12 Months

12-24 Months

24-36 Months

-Would you recommend your Chinese Fixture? Then which one (you do not want to put the EBay Specials in the same category as some of our reputable Domestic Importers).

2)
0-12 Months

12-24 Months

24-36 Months

Would your rate your growth as... Poor, Average, Good or Great.

3)
0-12 Months

12-24 Months

24-36 Months

Has your fixture failed or partially failed?

Tony_D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fixtures run 13 1/2 hour cycles, with a 3 hour "noon" (100%) power mode. Even at the end of my noon time the fixtures are barely above ambient temperature, I'll take an IR thermometer gone today and measure the temps.

Tony_D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fixture is sold on eBay(did not know till later) but I ordered it directly from the manufacturer(and got it cheaper than from eBay). I would put mine up against any "reputable domestically imported" fixture based on my experience so far.

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fixture is sold on eBay(did not know till later) but I ordered it directly from the manufacturer(and got it cheaper than from eBay). I would put mine up against any "reputable domestically imported" fixture based on my experience so far.

They may be importing the exact fixture just putting their label on it...And maybe changing the box slightly.

Either way it would be good to get a poll on long term results.

Bill

Last edited:

cginter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i went from a 250w MH with 4 t5's to a 120w led unit (taotronics) i choose tao because it was my first LED unit and it was cheap. i wasnt too sure about the "Chinese" fixtures, but ive seen growth already only after a month of use. But seeing the poll on how long they last.... im hoping i didnt waste a few hundred bucks, we will see. But then again, if i get two years out of this unit for 200 thats almost what id be spending in a year for bulbs with my MH T5 unit.

Tony_D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They may be importing the exact fixture just putting their label on it...And maybe changing the box slightly.

Either way it would be good to get a poll on long term results.

Bill

Mine definitely are not like the reefbreeders units that 20 different companies are all claiming as their own. Not even remotely close, my growth and and color have been fantastic and I have a thread with pictures to show what I'm seeing. A quick search will show that.

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine definitely are not like the reefbreeders units that 20 different companies are all claiming as their own. Not even remotely close, my growth and and color have been fantastic and I have a thread with pictures to show what I'm seeing. A quick search will show that.

Please toss us a link and some pics. As you have said there are too many copies from the same source.

I thought Id share one of the more humorous solicitations we have received.

peterpansEmail.jpg

Peter Pan...Seriously!!!

Also I found "not only copy traditional products simply" rather disturbing given our laws and traditional business ethics...Caveat Emptor...

Bill

Tony_D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please toss us a link and some pics. As you have said there are too many copies from the same source.

Also I found "not only copy traditional products simply" rather disturbing given our laws and traditional business ethics...Caveat Emptor...

Bill

https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/reef-aquarium-discussion/127700-my-chinese-leds.html

[URL="https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/club-cube/104098-135g-gallon-ex-60g-e-hybrid-cube-7.html"]https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/club-cube/104098-135g-gallon-ex-60g-e-hybrid-cube-7.html

[/URL]

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tony_D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 3 hours here's the temp, still cool to the touch.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1375839616631.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1375839616631.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 393

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thermal Management is a key to longevity

What type of PAR readings are you getting?

Keep us posted as I googled dsuny LEDs and they look like the newer generation of Chinese Fixtures some are importing...Keep us posted on their longevity...

Bill

Tony_D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked them the day I got them but didn't record the numbers, it was better par than I was getting with a 6 bulb tek fixture with ati and giesmann lamps. I will have our local clubs par meter in the next few days and I will document and post the numbers.

Rob&Gab

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
120w led unit (taotronics) i choose tao because it was my first LED unit and it was cheap. i wasnt too sure about the "Chinese" fixtures, but ive seen growth already only after a month of use..

just letting you no these are the best chines led's ever my girl has them on her tank and the growth and color rate issssssss insane!!!!!!!!! awesome lights and would recommend them to everyone i no. they have been running on her 45G for a year now and ill tell you awesome lights man.

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked them the day I got them but didn't record the numbers, it was better par than I was getting with a 6 bulb tek fixture with ati and giesmann lamps. I will have our local clubs par meter in the next few days and I will document and post the numbers.

Might be a winner

Cheers

Bill

HVani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill jump in to say I have ha my reef breeder photon24 over my 65 gallon for almost a year. I still love this light!

SuperTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your BMW payment is leaving you broke so you can't afford expensive light. :D

»)))'> »)))'> »)))'>

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 69 52.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back